Events

Log Press
90 x 5
110 x 3
140 x 2
*Belt*
150 x 2
150 x 10 +2 Rep PR

I feel like I might have had another rep left in me which is good. I'm going to go up to 160 next week for reps. Matt got a pretty sweet photo of my upper back doing this but I can't upload from my phone. All this event training, along with the pullups, has put some mass on my traps/upper back. Not too shabby!

Yoke
280 x 35 ft
380 x 35 ft
470 x 35 ft
*Belt*
560 x 35 ft
610 x 55 ft +50 lb +20 ft PR
650 x 15 sec (Pick)
740 x 4 sec (Pick)

Had a great day with the yoke. 610 didn't feel super heavy, I'm going to stick with this weight and go for more distance. The 740 pick was super heavy and the slightest bit of sway made me drop it.

Tire Flip
725 x 2
725 x 12 +2 Rep PR

The first 8 reps were very quick, I had a couple slipups after that. The entire set took about 2:06. I'm happy with this as far as volume, I think I'm going to try to get it down faster. A couple of the flips were pretty much one motion.

Duck Walk
210 x 30 ft
250 x 30 ft
300 x 60 ft

Grip was a little rough on the last set since our implement is very smooth. This was still pretty easy.

This workout was LONG, about 3 hours from start to finish. Everyone pretty much had a great day, lots of PRs. I weighed in at 230 when I got home so weight has been steady. My belt also felt very comfortable at the 5th hole where as even last week I had trouble getting it there, so my body composition is getting better. Training is going great, slowly but surely I am getting there.

That strongman lifting looks fun! Good stuff.

Tuesday - 2/22/11
Press

Band-assisted Pullups (Medium band, pronated grip)

Pullups went pretty well as usual.

Close-grip Incline Bench Press
Bar x 8
95 x 5
135 x 2
160 x 5
160 x 5
160 x 5
160 x 5
160 x 5

I didn't have a spotter today so no lift offs. It didn't affect me too much but these sets were a bit tougher than last week. I didn't feel like I was going to fail at any one point, but I wasn't sure if I could have got another rep on the last 2 sets.

Power Cleans
Bar x a bunch (Form practice)
95 x 3 (Hang cleans)
135 x 3
155 x 2

Didn't have much time left so I played with this just practicing form.

Short workout today. Had a lot of stuff to do so got to gym late, and will be very busy the rest of the week.

2/27/11
Whatever day

Squats
Bar x 8
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 5
275 x 3
*Belt*
315 x 8

All of these were pretty deep. Workout partner said the work set looked very good. I felt like I might have been able to do more, probably 10-12, not exactly sure why I stopped.

Incline Bench Press
135 x 5
185 x 3
205 x 2

Didn't plan on doing this, just kind of tagged along with what Carl was doing. Didn't feel that great as far as form goes, didn't feel much stronger than my close-grip has been.

Power Cleans
95 x 3 (Hang cleans)
135 x 3
155 x 2
175 x 2

Form feels a little better on these, more explosive. I wasn't sure if I wanted to do these or some rows but wanted to do some kind of pulling exercise

Condition Circuit

Did one of these with Carl. Let's just say I was way out of breath and 7 steps behind him the whole way. Fun but tiring, not something I'm going to make a staple of training.

I was completely rested and ready to do events today but weather didn't permit it. I had no plan going in to the gym, I just wanted to go in and do SOMETHING. The past few weeks training has been very hot and cold. My last 2 deadlift workouts were so horrible I didn't even write them down. I've been eating enough/well, getting plenty of sleep and recovery, there's no reason for training to be going so bad.

To make things worse, I'm going underway in a week and I have no idea what sort of equipment I'll have to work with for the 3 months I'll be on the submarine. I'm going to try and get ahold of the crew tomorrow but I have this fear I'm going to lose everything I've worked for the past 9 months and I'll come back weaker than before. Not good times.

Dang 315x8, good squatting. It sucks that you might have to take time off but on the bright side you'll be on a submarine, that's pretty cool. Will you be on the submarine underwater for the entire 3 months? How does that work?

Not entirely sure, this will be my first deployment. I think it's largely dependent on the mission but I doubt we'll be submerged the entire time.

KW squated between missle tubes. If there is a will there is a way

He was lucky enough to have a command that allowed him to keep plates and a barbell onboard though. I'm guessing he was an officer or a chief and had some sway. I might not be as lucky.

Sorry to hear about the deployment. Hopefully you can keep up with something. Even if you can't do much though, you won't lose everything. Also, it's always easier to regain strength than it is to gain it in the first place so I'm sure you'll bounce back quickly. Best of luck!

Wednesday - 3/2/11
Press

Band-assisted Pullups (Light band, pronated grip)

Close-grip Incline Bench Press
Bar x 8
95 x 5
135 x 3
165 x 5
165 x 5
165 x 5
165 x 5
165 x 5

BTN Push Press
95 x 3
95 x 3
115 x 3
135 x 3
*Belt*
135 x 3
145 x 2
155 x 1
155 x 2
155 x 3

DB Curls
35s x 15 per arm

Pushups

Situps

Weird Bosu Ball Plank
60 second hold

Bike
10 minutes at level 12, 130 calories burned

Stretched afterwards.

Friday - 3/4/11
ME Squat

Paused High Box Squat (1-2" above parallel)
135 x 5
135 x 3
185 x 3
225 x 3
275 x 2
315 x 1
365 x 1
*Belt*
405 x 1
405 x 2

First time doing these, overloaded the core a bunch.

Low Box Squat (2" below parallel)
135 x 2
185 x 2
225 x 2
275 x 2
*Belt*
315 x 2
365 x 2

I probably would have had more in me on the top set but my shorts ripped and that messed with my focus a bunch haha. These felt super low.

Rack Pulls (Mid shin)
135 x 3
225 x 3
275 x 3
315 x 2
365 x 5

These sucked. My deadlifting in general sucks right now. At least we've clearly identified the problem: Core and lower back are very weak.

Paused Good Mornings
95 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 5

Moved the bars for this down one and it is legit parallel, felt low as SHIT. I put 205 on for the last set but I wouldn't even count it as a fail because the second I started to go down I felt my lower back give in. Too fried, so I stopped there.

I have about a week of training left before I'll be on the submarine and I'll have to figure out what to do there. I'm going to take the time to work completely without a belt and improve my weaknesses with whatever I have to work with. At best I think I'll have DBs, a bench, and maybe a smith machine. I'll most likely work in the higher rep ranges and work on core, lower back, triceps, and shoulders as I feel those are my weakest spots. We'll see how it goes, I just gotta do something.

Back