Squat, Bench, Deadlift, China Buffet, Repeat

I think the angle my buddy used to shoot the squat makes it look higher than it is, or at least I definitely felt myself go into the hole and the load transfer to my hamstrings/glutes. I have been squatting with the bar a bit lower on my back and with a slightly wider stance so that may be something to address now to make sure I'm hitting depth. Good find. As for deadlift I need to pay more attention to my lower back to make sure it doesn't round.

I think the squat depth was good. The crease of the hip is just below the knee but barely. I would white light it but I think you're flirting with the depth. It's all good though. Anyway nice lifting! You squatted my 1rm for 3 and pulled 10lbs less than my 1rm for 3. Good work, man!

Texas Method - Week 4 - Day 1 - 11/8/10
Weight: 230

Squats
Bar x 8
95 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 4
240 x 1
*Belt*
290 x 5
290 x 5
290 x 5
290 x 5
290 x 5

Press
Bar x 8
95 x 4
130 x 5
130 x 5
130 x 5
130 x 2 + 1 Push Press

Rows
185 x 5
185 x 5
185 x 5
185 x 5
185 x 5

Dips
BW+30 x 5
BW+30 x 5
BW+30 x 5
BW+30 x 5
BW+30 x 5

Comments:
Today's workout was absolutely exhausting. I must have slept wrong or something because my lower back was stiff when I woke up and now it's just worn out. Squats went well but they sapped a lot of energy. Press was hard, but I didn't expect to not get all the reps until after the 3rd set. The last rep was a grind and I had a decent bit of layback. My shoulders were spent by the 4th set I couldn't even get a 3rd rep so I decided to call it there. I'm not sure how to go about this now. I'm going to try for 145 x 2 on Friday, but week 6 I'll either attempt 5x5 again for 130 or I might consider dropping volume for the press to 3x5. Any thoughts/advice on this? Rows are getting harder as I was exhausted by that point. I was fighting to keep my lower back straight it was worn out. Dips went well despite the fact I worked out at the base gym and the handles are much wider than I'm used to. The last set was hard but I got it. I'd say it was a good workout, just very tiring. I plan on keeping the weight the same for Power Cleans on Wednesday and maybe Front Squats too depending on how I feel so that I recover a bit more. We'll see what happens.

Off topic but I'm moving to Washington tomorrow so Wednesday I'll be at another new gym. All my stuff is packed and I fly out in the morning. Sweet!

Good work. Those squats are sweet. I have had the most success on overhead press with 3x3. Having said that, however, it's just a really slow lift to progress and I think everyone experiences similar frustrations with it. I think keeping it on the 5x5 should be fine. Maybe try dropping the weight a bit. See how it goes. Also, about the dips, I've heard that wider handles are better for stability and so on. I can't speak from experience but that could be a reason why it wasn't as bad as you expected.

Good luck with the move! I hope it doesn't interfere with training :p

Sweet squats. You just keep going up with them.

As for the press, it's a tough lift. I'd probably try it out 5x5 once more. You were probably pretty drained after the squats. MOAR CHINESE BUFFET!!!

Also, do you use your belt for the press? You may consider trying that. It really helps me to brace my core against it and get a bit more of a layback. Something to consider.

Thanks for the replies guys. I haven't used a belt on the press except on max attempts but I might try that next time. I think I was just drained as you said, I'll try 130 5x5 once more and if I still don't get it I'll either a) Drop the weight, maybe microload 127.5 or b) consider 3x5 for press. I'll eventually have to go to 3x5 I'm sure as the volume gets too much but I'd like to take the advantage of loading Monday as much as I can.

Yeah I did feel stable on the dip handles I just wasn't used to the width. I pretty much had to flare my elbows out to the side where on the narrower bars I usually try to tuck them.

Thanks for the move wishes. I'm gonna stay the first few nights at the base inn so training shouldn't be a problem as the gym is right there. Most navy base gyms are decent and the one here in Charleston even provides chalk so I should be good as far as having everything I need the next few months.

Texas Method - Week 4 - Day 2 - 11/10/10
Weight: ??? (Probably around 228)

Front Squats
Bar x 10
95 x 5
135 x 5
190 x 2
*Belt*
245 x 3
245 x 3
245 x 3

Bench Press
Bar x 8
95 x 5
135 x 5
165 x 1
200 x 3
200 x 3
200 x 3

Power Cleans
95 x 4 (Hang cleans)
135 x 2
165 x 3*

Chinups (Neutral grip)
BW x 4
BW x 2*

*See comments

Comments:
Today sucked overall. First day lifting in Washington at the base gym. It's ok; it has a power rack, a squat rack, 3 benches, and that's about all I looked for. Front squats were good, albeit they are getting much tougher especially trying not to lean forward. Bench was awkward because I'm so used to having a spotter for a lift off and I didn't really have anyone today. I should have asked but I figured it was recovery day so I wouldn't need one. Felt awkward unracking the bar myself as I used to only do that for warmup sets and had a spotter for work sets. They were ok though, definitely asking for a spotter next time. I was dragging ass already by the time I got to cleans and my first and only set at 165 was horrible. I was bending my elbows on the way up and after the set my elbows were killing me. Luckily, there was this really big dude there (Who I came to find out competes in strongman) practicing full cleans with 235 or so. I had seen him earlier doing OHP singles at 235 and then push jerks, and he was giving another dude advice on bench press form and 5x5 programs. I mustered up the courage to ask him for advice and he helped me a bit on my technique. He showed me what is meant by triple extension which helped a lot actually seeing it in person. I did a bunch of practice drills and some singles at 135 then 145 but I never went back to work sets because my elbows were still killing me. I was dead by chinups and couldn't find a straight bar so I had to use neutral grip. I could only do 4, then 2, then I decided to call it quits. Elbows were just too sore.

All in all it wasn't horrible considering it was recovery day but I'm a little disappointed. I think I'll drop Power Cleans back down to 145 or 155 and work my way back up. Yesterday sucked since I was in planes/airports for the entire day and didn't get nearly enough to eat. Time to relax, sleep, eat, and focus on Friday's workout. Girlfriend is coming up tomorrow so that's gonna be tough to focus on haha.

Looks like you did just fine. Don't worry about it and just eat up and rest up for PR Friday. :)

Also, one thing I found helpful is moving the power cleans to the front of the workout so you can do them fresh. I've found doing powercleans after front squats and press just sucks. I do my wednesdays in this order: Power Clean, Press, Front Squat, then some chins and hypers after and I'm done.

Texas Method - Week 4 - Day 3 - 11/12/10
Weight: 226

Squats
Bar x 8
95 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 5
235 x 2
*Belt*
285 x 1
345 x 1 +20 PR
365 x 1 +40 PR

Press
Bar x 8
65 x 5
95 x 4
115 x 1
*Belt*
150 x 2

Deadlift
135 x 5
225 x 2
*Belt*
315 x 1
365 x 1
425 x 1 +20 PR

Chinups
BW x 6
BW x 6
BW x 6

Comments:
I was fucking on today. Squats felt deep and quick. I loaded up 345 and got it pretty easily. I went for 365 and I sunk deep into it and popped up fairly quick. Not too much of a grind, I think I may even be good for more. Press went well, 150 x 2 was difficult but I got it without a whole lot of layback and that was my 1RM 2 weeks ago. Deadlift went well, 425 was tough and I may have been able to get more but I didn't want to get too greedy. The base gym has a rule against deadlifting in socks so my deadlifting from now on will be done in chucks. Chinups were more consistent this time. My elbows were still a little sore to start but they feel fine now. I'm really excited about this workout, got some good PRs and I'm even down in weight a bit.

Woooooo! Sweet squats and deadlifts man!

Great progress in here!

I couldn't imagine deadlifting with shoes on. I have always done it in socks. If I ever want to compete though, I guess I'll have to try some shoes.

Thanks guys, I had a great day. I love the program. I think the volume day is the key. Beating the shit out of myself Monday and then going all out on Friday has worked pretty well so far. I'm hoping I can get squat to 405 and deadlift to 500 before I stall out and then switch to something like 5/3/1.

Texas Method - Week 5 - Day 1 - 11/15/10
Weight: 233

Squats
Bar x 8
95 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 5
240 x 2
*Belt*
295 x 5
295 x 5
295 x 5
295 x 5
295 x 5

Bench Press
Bar x 8
95 x 5
135 x 5
165 x 2
205 x 5
205 x 5
205 x 5
205 x 5
205 x 5

Rows
190 x 5
190 x 5
190 x 5
190 x 5
190 x 5

Dips
BW+35 x 5
BW+35 x 5
BW+35 x 5
BW+35 x 4
BW+35 x 4

Comments:
Schedule has been ridiculously busy with all the moving and buying furniture etc. but luckily I've found time to go to the gym. This workout took over 2 hours, exhausting but went well. Squats continue to climb without too much trouble. Bench press went well; my form was solid and only the last rep on the last 2 sets were a bit hard. Rows are getting harder but I feel with doing them dynamically I should be able to continue adding weight to them without adding much extra cheating with the hips. I was overambitious on dips and added 5 pounds instead of 2.5 pounds so I didn't get all 25 but I'll keep the weight the same next week and I should get them (I doubt I'll be 233 again next week anyhow). Solid workout overall.

226 to 233 in 4 days?? China buffet's really workin for you eh?

Great work and good progress as always.

Thanks squat. My weight varies a lot, I've gone from 230 to 222 back up to 228 over the course of a few days. This past weekend I was doing a lot of shopping and driving around with my girlfriend getting stuff for the apartment and buying a new car so food was fast food, pizza, etc. and I ate a loaded foot long sub before working out. Sadly no china buffets here that I've found but I'll look for one soon.

Thanks modena. I got a 2005 Toyota Camry only 30k miles for a good price. Bought a bunch of furniture too so I'm almost done getting set up here. More time then to focus on training.

Texas Method - Week 5 - Day 2 - 11/17/10
Weight: 234

Front Squats
Bar x 10
95 x 5
135 x 5
190 x 2
*Belt*
250 x 3
250 x 3
250 x 3

Press
Bar x 8
65 x 5
95 x 2
130 x 3
130 x 3
130 x 3

Power Cleans
45 x A bunch (Triple extension drills)
45 x Lots (Whipping the bar drills)
45 x 5 (Hang cleans)
95 x 3 (Hang cleans)
135 x 3
135 x 3
145 x 3
155 x 3
155 x 3

Chinups
BW x 7
BW x 6
BW x 6

Comments:
Today's workout was decent. Front squats are getting tough especially keeping the elbows up to prevent the weight from coming forward, but form wasn't too bad. Press was so-so my triceps were worn out from Monday. I spent a lot of time on my power clean form today and it's getting better but I'm still having trouble with the triple extension and getting under the bar. It is improving though, it's just so hard to teach myself such a technical lift. I need to re-watch Pendlay's videos. Chinups went well despite being heavier. I think I'll switch to 3x3 weighted chinups on Wednesday once I get can 3x8 and then continue to do 3xF sets on Friday with just my own weight.

So Friday I'm thinking either 345 or 350 for my squat double, 225 for my bench triple, and 405 for my deadlift double. I might have more for squat, bench I think is as ambitious as I want to get, and deadlift I feel that would be a solid double. Any comments/advice appreciated as always.

So Friday I'm thinking either 345 or 350 for my squat double, 225 for my bench triple, and 405 for my deadlift double. I might have more for squat, bench I think is as ambitious as I want to get, and deadlift I feel that would be a solid double. Any comments/advice appreciated as always.

For the 405 double, I definitely think it should be manageable for you. I pulled it the other day when I was low on food and late in the day after a 3 hours of class and a 6 hour lab. And my 1RM is only 10lb more than yours. Like I said, i think its a good weight for you to do.

For bench, Considering you did 205x5x5 the other day, I think 225 should be a breeze assuming you're focused during the lift and form is good. Plus, you hit 225 for a double a few weeks back. Really looking forward to seeing that PR.

For the squat, I think you have it in you to do a 350 double. I'm basing this on since you've been making insane progress with your 5x5 on Mondays. However, if you want to be cautious, try 345. A 350 double is approximately equivalent to a 373 single.

Great gains in here.. I am insanely jealous haha. Atleast I've steadily made gains in bench/press/deadlifts since starting TM. My squat is much lower though. Oh how I wish this rib injury would go away...

Back