So Facebook tells people when you see their message. I don't like that.

EGarrett

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
This is nothing new of course, but when you're facebook IM'ing, it shows when the other person sees your message, when they're typing, and even when they delete what they're typing. I presume it does the same thing the other way.

Does anyone else think this is a tiny bit awkward? One of the things I like about text messages and instant messages is that you don't have to respond immediately and there's no awkward pause because you might not have seen the message. This seems to restore that awkward pause, and it also makes it clear when you're reconsidering what you typed...exposing you for your neuroses.

Is there a way to turn this off?

You can IM on Facebook?

I don't know what the term for it is...but when you're messaging back and forth with them on the bottom right corner of the screen.

I guess I'm a dinosaur now but back in the day on AOL etc this was called IMing or Instant Messaging so I used the same term.

People shouldn't expect you to respond straight away. If they do then they're fucking creepy. Defriend them before they sneak into your house and jerk off on your things.

yeah,I've always thought it was weird. luckily for me, I spend little to no time on their.

You should just delete your account.

Problem solved.

It's dumb. I miss when you could just send a message that wasn't meant to read right away (not in chat/IM format)

I don't know what the term for it is...but when you're messaging back and forth with them on the bottom right corner of the screen.

I guess I'm a dinosaur now but back in the day on AOL etc this was called IMing or Instant Messaging so I used the same term.

Even back then people could send read receipts with an e-mail.

Granted, almost nobody did, but the read feature is everywhere and has been for a while.

Facbook is for dogs.

You should just delete your account.

Problem solved.
I noticed that my problems with Facebook came from two things. One, I gave them too much information and they started getting invasive with advertisements and so on, now I deny any listing of my number, location, job etc. and hid from facebook search so no one I don't know can access my page, and two, when I add people who I don't actually like. Their status updates and so on then get on my nerves. Usually I remove these people from my friend list or block their updates from my filter. With that done, it feels like Facebook is what it was originally supposed to be...a convenient way to keep up with or reconnect with people who you actually like.

SMS has had delivery confirmation for almost 10 years now, that part isn't anything new.

SMS has had delivery confirmation for almost 10 years now, that part isn't anything new.

shit, so ppl can see when I've received a text on my phone? I've always wondered if they could.

And about the FB thing, if you read a message and mark it as unread, does the sender know you've seen it???

I noticed that my problems with Facebook came from two things. One, I gave them too much information and they started getting invasive with advertisements and so on, now I deny any listing of my number, location, job etc. and hid from facebook search so no one I don't know can access my page, and two, when I add people who I don't actually like. Their status updates and so on then get on my nerves. Usually I remove these people from my friend list or block their updates from my filter. With that done, it feels like Facebook is what it was originally supposed to be...a convenient way to keep up with or reconnect with people who you actually like.

Yeah, I'll stick with my original post.

What do you need a facebook for anyway, you have a phone don't you? Never joined that site as I have never understood the point really. People seem to bitch a fuckton about the place too irl, and on this forum.

shit, so ppl can see when I've received a text on my phone? I've always wondered if they could.

And about the FB thing, if you read a message and mark it as unread, does the sender know you've seen it???

Wait, what?

People can see when I got their text message? I lie about that shit all the time. "Sorry, phone was off all weekend." Is that only on some special service or something?

LOL @ people still on facebook

Wait, what?

People can see when I got their text message? I lie about that shit all the time. "Sorry, phone was off all weekend." Is that only on some special service or something?

idk that's what I was wondering. I hope not.

Wait, what?

If the person has SMS delivery report turned on there phone they'll know when you get it, doesn't tell when you read it though. I don't think there's anyway to block it either. If I remember right Madmick is the cell phone guru around here, he may know of a way to block it.

Last edited:
The delivery reports don't say whether a person has read the message or not, just that the message has arrived at their phone, as far as I know delivery reports are defaulted to be turned off.

That's been like that forever bro.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back