So Facebook tells people when you see their message. I don't like that.

I like it since if I am online I will respond almost immediately so it doesn't effect me. I also like it the other way around since if someone is online it gets on my nerves when they don't respond to a message when they have already seen it especially. The typing thing is kind of weird but I don't mind it. I probably wouldn't bother with Facebook if I didn't have so many acquaintances that I wouldn't bother ringing. Plus I don't really use my phone much.

I use a program called Chat Undetected. Look it up on google

This is nothing new of course, but when you're facebook IM'ing, it shows when the other person sees your message, when they're typing, and even when they delete what they're typing. I presume it does the same thing the other way.

Does anyone else think this is a tiny bit awkward? One of the things I like about text messages and instant messages is that you don't have to respond immediately and there's no awkward pause because you might not have seen the message. This seems to restore that awkward pause, and it also makes it clear when you're reconsidering what you typed...exposing you for your neuroses.

Is there a way to turn this off?

That's like a 'read' receipt for email.

Don't they allow you to (optionally) turn it off, in your settings?

Yeah, I'll stick with my original post.

What do you need a facebook for anyway, you have a phone don't you? Never joined that site as I have never understood the point really. People seem to bitch a fuckton about the place too irl, and on this forum.
I've reconnected with several friends whose numbers I didn't have for years through Facebook (through mutual friendships of course, after a certain point I hid from the Facebook search). These relationships have meant a lot to me.

Of course, I agree with you that things like the mining of personal information is dangerous and irritating and facebook, much like Google, tries to dip too far into it, and when you have people on your friend list who you don't actually like, that creates irritance.

That's like a 'read' receipt for email.

Don't they allow you to (optionally) turn it off, in your settings?
I wasn't aware of it, but I found a Firefox add on that does it. I downloaded it immediately after starting the thread.

thank god i just use myspace. that facebook crap is just a fad

I use myspace but it seems "empty" it used to be really awesome back in the days, but the last few years it became "dead"

is it actif again ? personally i prefer it to facebook,if it's resurrected i'll definitly go there.

Facebook has so much advertising that it literally makes my browser crash.
Even browsing on sherdog with internet explorer doesn't even have half as many ads as Facebook does.

Unless you turn it off, iPhone SMS shows when messages have been read.

You know what Facebook needs a "dislike" button because my god do people write stupid shit on there daily

Facebook has so much advertising that it literally makes my browser crash.
Even browsing on sherdog with internet explorer doesn't even have half as many ads as Facebook does.

Well you're using IE, what do you expect.

Here's a question I've had for a long time.

If somebody sends u a FB message, and you read the message through your yahoo email account, but not on FB, does it show up as read to the sender?

Serves you rite for having facebook TS.

Skype is the same way. I'm surprised it's taken so long for FB to implement even though I'm not sure exactly what it adds to the conversation.

Soon people will be able to see when you've read their emails. Then we'll really be fucked.

It's kind of easy to circumvent. Just have the IM box up on your screen but not selected, you'll see what the person says but it wont say youve read it until you click on the box to type something.

The delivery reports don't say whether a person has read the message or not, just that the message has arrived at their phone, as far as I know delivery reports are defaulted to be turned off.

If you have an Android, just hold over a message that you sent. One of the options that comes up should be message details. The report is in there.

I don't do Facebook I do Sherdog because the variety of bizarre people here is amazing.

Back