Size is more important than ever in UFC

I completely agree. Size was not a big deal in the 90's but now that everyone is so well rounded size is a huge factor.

Like in most sports, size plays a significant role, but more important it's how you use that size to your advantage.

While it can be interesting, this is the kind of discussion that usually devolves into people saying Fighter A is only better than Fighter B because Fighter A is bigger, or more athletic than Fighter B.

For example, saying Jon Jones is "only" better than Fighter X because he has a ridiculous size/reach advantage is the equivalent of saying Usain Bolt is "only" faster than everyone else because he is faster than everyone else. It's a ridiculous and stupid observation to make.

So, you're telling me if LeBron James wasn't the freakish athlete and physical specimen that he is, he wouldn't be as good? Wow, what an observation! What's next? Are you going to point out that Messi wouldn't be as good of a soccer player had he been born without legs?

It wasn't important at all when the UFC started so sure, we are as far from that as we have ever been.

I still think 245 pound Mir that fought Brock in UFC100 was the best Frank Mir ever.

When the gap in skill between the fighters isn't ridiculously big,Height,reach and weight becomes a HUGE factor in favor of the bigger man.

MMA is allot more popular than it was in the earlier days and pays more so as more people pick MMA to train in over other activities or sports, size will become more and more an advantage in a MMA match. Skill can win over size but when you have two equally skilled fighters. The bigger guy will win most times.

Why do people try to make the illusion that JDS is a small HW, I know his fanboys love him but he is just as big as Jones in comparison.

JDS is a big fighter, he also is more athletic and faster then most of the division. He is not the size of Overreem in terms of weight but he is indeed one of the bigger HW's in the division.

His fans make it seem that JDS is Frankie Edgar, he is not, he is a big HW.

Its not about how much you weigh since Jon Jones is not a heavy fighter, its about Frame and JDS has a big frame and he is indeed a big HW. He looked bigger then Frank Mir and he looks bigger then most of the HW's and JDS is always in Shape, he doesn't get out of shape.

Some people need to stop lying to themselves, JDS is a big guy.

dossantosovereem_display_image.jpg

This is him standing with Overreem

Last edited:
Did i hear he was actually going to cut to 205, or was that a rumor? I know he's had kidney problems in the past, but I heard he was going to give it a shot.

He can do it easily by cutting fat long term and doing a minor water cut. He had kidney issues when doing a massive water cut.

Why do people try to make the illusion that JDS is a small HW, I know his fanboys love him but he is just as big as Jones.

JDS is a big fighter, he also is more athletic and faster then most of the division. He is not the size of Overreem in terms of weight but he is indeed one of the bigger HW's in the division.

His fans make it seem that JDS is Frankie Edgar, he is not, he is a big HW.

Its not about how much you weigh since Jon Jones is not a heavy fighter, its about Frame and JDS has a big frame and he is indeed a big HW. He looked bigger then Frank Mir and he looks bigger then most of the HW's and JDS is always in Shape, he doesn't get out of shape.

Some people need to stop lying to themselves, JDS is a big guy.

dossantosovereem_display_image.jpg

This is him standing with Overreem

So JDS is not a small HW because he's the same size as the LHW champ?

I'm going to assume that sounded better in your mind than it looks written out.

not true edgar was the champ in the most stacked division, he was also the smallest fighter, speed is just as important as size or the biggest hw's would always win. GSP is by no means the biggest ww, silva isn't even the biggest mw hes just tall. Jones is the only champ that has size over most of his division

So JDS is not a small HW because he's the same size as the LHW champ?

I'm going to assume that sounded better in your mind than it looks written out.

Who said he is not a small HW champ because he is the same size as the LHW champ.

I said he is as big/tall as Jones and meant in comparison to other HW's and isnt this Frankie Edgar fighter.

Last edited:

Why the fuck do people do this dumb shit? You know they weigh them prior to the fights, right? And you can easily find out what their height and reach are with the magic of google, rather than playing some retarded guessing game based on camera angles and nonsense.

Last edited:
Back