Size is more important than ever in UFC

yekmurat

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Everybody is top of their game and size becomes the biggest advantage in UFC we already saw guys with nearly no holes in their games outsized by bigger opponents what do you think?

Frankie Edgar KO'd one of the biggest lightweights ever by being faster and having better cardio.

Anderson Silva KO'd Chael Sonnen by being faster and having better cardio.

Size is an advantage, but so is speed.

edit: and to say Benson outsized Frankie twice is a bit misleading. In the second fight Frankie was tossing Benson around like a ragdoll and neutralized a lot of his standup. He should've won that fight, and arguably could have won the first.

In any event, I don't consider Benson's wins to be a result of size. Bendo moved around very well and used his leg kicks to stymie Frankie's mobility in the first fight.

Daniel Cormier is repping it for the small guys in a division (in terms of being soft and short).

It goes in cycles, there'll be another BJ, frankie, Diego Sanchez or someone along soon, I don't think the game has evolved beyond them (maybe for the sort of size disparity BJ had).

I say more physicality then size for the most part, though there are exceptions. Rory over BJ was more a matter of size then physicality.

JDS is about 240. What was Mir, like 260?

138_Junior_Dos_Santos_and_Frank_Mir_large.jpg

Daniel Cormier is repping it for the small guys in a division (in terms of being soft and short).

It goes in cycles, there'll be another BJ, frankie, Diego Sanchez or someone along soon, I don't think the game has evolved beyond them (maybe for the sort of size disparity BJ had).

Did i hear he was actually going to cut to 205, or was that a rumor? I know he's had kidney problems in the past, but I heard he was going to give it a shot.

Frankie Edgar defies your logic in his entire LW career (except for his two fights with Bendo and one loss to Maynard)

Dont get me wrong ofcourse size is not everything but nowadays its much more important,other than that 135 lbs Mighty mouse can destroy any 200 lbs ordinary guys in a minute anyday...

Frankie Edgar defies your logic in his entire LW career (except for his two fights with Bendo and one loss to Maynard)

There is always an exception, and Frankie is a huge one. Not everybody has the amazing hand speed that he has to go along with great footwork and foot speed. Most don't even have one or the other. Frankie is just a freak.

I see where the TS is coming from. Jon Jones is so much bigger than all of the other lhw's, than any lhw has been. And if you consider that Matt Hughes was considered a huge ww in his day, but if you put prime Hughes in the cage with the current version of Rory, he'd be very small. There does seem to be a new breed of fighter (Jones, MacDonald, Weidman) coming up who are making the previous generation of fighters look small, even at the same weights.

Size is no less or more important than ever. It's a factor but not the only one.

There is always an exception, and Frankie is a huge one. Not everybody has the amazing hand speed that he has to go along with great footwork and foot speed. Most don't even have one or the other. Frankie is just a freak.

I wouldn't describe him as a freak, he's positively slow in comparison to a good professional boxer in term of both hand and foot speed.

His best asset is his cardio which is a product of being the smaller man.

This is what fast hands look like, no way can you look at the way the punches go for the duration of the video and conclude Edgar is anyway in the same league.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naAgS-rPnwk

Size is an important facet of Jones' game (especially his reach), but let's not forget that he's actually a very good grappler and has never ever looked vulnerable on the ground.

Also Jones is big but let's not overstate his size. He has chicken legs compared to most other LHW's, and he seems to be around the same size as Forrest and Bonnar. I can't think of a fight where he straight up won because he was bigger, at least not in the same way that Rory manhandled BJ Penn or Anthony Johnson obliterated Charlie Brenneman.

Back