Size is more important than ever in UFC

That's a photo from 130........

At 146 he wasn't in that shape. Much softer and if you go back and watch the fight you can see his belly jiggling all over the place.

Body fat % =/= being "in shape"

Frankie is 0-2 vs Benson. I thought he wont still but, the point stands. I think quality over quantity applies here. Anderson regardless of weight class would own on athleticism alone and skill set and raw talent.

I agree,but size is not everything. certainly not as big a deal as everyone says it is.

Not really. Strength, speed and agility is more important than size (the size difference within the weight classes can't be that big) when equally skilled.
If you are the bigger man you are probably stronger as well, at least if you are in shape.

(the size difference within the weight classes can't be that big) when equally skilled.
Actually it can, just take a look at Edgar at LW or Penn at WW, not to mention Machida at LHW for his last couple of fights.

Not really. Strength, speed and agility is more important than size (the size difference within the weight classes can't be that big) when equally skilled.

Then why don't you explain why in EVERY weight class MW and below the top ranks are filled with guys that cut a lot of weight and are ripped?
Edgar and BJ are pretty much the only exceptions. A few others are not ripped but they cut a lot of weight (e.g. Hendricks)

Mma has simply gotten to a point where most fighters are well-conditioned and cut down to the lowest weight class they can make(excluding hw, which is a different breed altogether). Frankie, BJ, etc are the exceptions. I mean, if size doesnt matter, why are guys like AS and Chael cutting 30-40lbs to make mw?

Note: In b4 "Anderson is chubby at 230". Fedor, Cormier, and Cain are also chubby at 230.

That is so extremely not true.

Oh really? Then maybe you can explain to me how a fighter with a 10-15lb weight advantage is supposed to beat a guy who is a more skilled fighter? Size counts for some things, but not nearly as much as technical skill, cardio, and muscular endurance. Ill also go as far as to say strength plays a minimal role in combat sports. Technique, cardio, muscular endurance over strength and size... and in that order to boot.

lol yeah so out of shape

UFCHeavyweightFrankMir4.jpg

I like how you post a pic of him from a diff fight...

This is how he look for the jds fight,

frank-mir.jpg

Oh really? Then maybe you can explain to me how a fighter with a 10-15lb weight advantage is supposed to beat a guy who is a more skilled fighter?
Thanks for just making up limitations on the spot that wasn't a part of your original argument.

And if you don't think size matters then you simply have never, ever trained. Anyone who has trained MMA/BJJ/SW/whatever and has a clue will tell you that size and strength CAN overcome skill in many situations and the more skilled fighter will have to work differently to win then if he was facing someone smaller then him.

Size counts for some things, but not nearly as much as technical skill, cardio, and muscular endurance.
No, it will differ a lot between different fighters.

Ill also go as far as to say strength plays a minimal role in combat sports.
Well, you're wrong. Maximum strength training is the only form of training that will have a positive response on all other forms of training. If you're strong it will improve your cardio training, technique, flexibility etc. all around.

Technique, cardio, muscular endurance over strength and size... and in that order to boot.
No, it's different for different fighters and different fighting styles.

Thanks for just making up limitations on the spot that wasn't a part of your original argument.

And if you don't think size matters then you simply have never, ever trained. Anyone who has trained MMA/BJJ/SW/whatever and has a clue will tell you that size and strength CAN overcome skill in many situations and the more skilled fighter will have to work differently to win then if he was facing someone smaller then him.

No, it will differ a lot between different fighters.

Well, you're wrong. Maximum strength training is the only form of training that will have a positive response on all other forms of training. If you're strong it will improve your cardio training, technique, flexibility etc. all around.

No, it's different for different fighters and different fighting styles.

Lofl I can tell from your reply that you yourself have had minimal training... if any.

Size and strength can over come skill? Yes it can, but that all depends on the strength and skill of the fighters. Maybe you should go back to Ufc 1 to see skill destroying size and strength.

Maximum strength training will have a positive response to all other training?!?!?! Please explain how power lifting will increase your cardio more positively than running, or circuit training, please do tell. Also Id like to go back to inside the ufc with sean sherk when he was getting ready to fight florian for the light weight title. These forums exploded with surprise that his weight routine was more hi repetition based than heavy weight based. Everyone was so shocked "omg why isnt he lifting for max strength?!?!?" Thats easy, because during a fight your muscles will be called upon to contract and extract over and over to the point of fatigue. So you tell me, what would aid this activity better, a high weight low rep routine for muscular strength? Or a lower weight high rep routine for muscular endurance?

Technique, cardio, muscular endurance, strength, size. In that order.

I see where the TS is coming from. Jon Jones is so much bigger than all of the other lhw's, than any lhw has been. And if you consider that Matt Hughes was considered a huge ww in his day, but if you put prime Hughes in the cage with the current version of Rory, he'd be very small. There does seem to be a new breed of fighter (Jones, MacDonald, Weidman) coming up who are making the previous generation of fighters look small, even at the same weights.

Matt Hughes was never condsidered a huge ww. He is like 5'9" ffs.

Lofl I can tell from your reply that you yourself have had minimal training... if any.
That would be a nice comeback (actually, not really) if the rest of your post wasn't such a major display of complete lack of education on all things training.

Size and strength can over come skill? Yes it can, but that all depends on the strength and skill of the fighters. Maybe you should go back to Ufc 1 to see skill destroying size and strength.
That is your ace in the hole? UFC 1? Really?

If size only matters if you're more skilled, then why isn't GSP gunning for that HW title?

Maximum strength training will have a positive response to all other training?!?!?!
Yes. This has been thoroughly researched and none of the myths you're going to spout is going to change that science is crystal clear here.

Please explain how power lifting will increase your cardio more positively than running, or circuit training, please do tell.
Now you're making things up that I didn't say because you have a serious reading comprehension problem. Being strong will make you able to perform better when running or doing circuit training or whatever you choose to do for conditioning, hence how strength will improve cardio training.

Also Id like to go back to inside the ufc with sean sherk when he was getting ready to fight florian for the light weight title. These forums exploded with surprise that his weight routine was more hi repetition based than heavy weight based. Everyone was so shocked "omg why isnt he lifting for max strength?!?!?" Thats easy, because during a fight your muscles will be called upon to contract and extract over and over to the point of fatigue. So you tell me, what would aid this activity better, a high weight low rep routine for muscular strength? Or a lower weight high rep routine for muscular endurance?
A professional athlete should train for both strength and conditioning. Strength training is essentially the same in all sports (you'll see everyone from skiiers to football players to MMA fighters to sprinters doing pretty much the same stuff; squats, deadlifts, presses, power cleans etc.). Conditioning however is generally more effective when it resembles the actual sport, science is again pretty crystal clear on this.

Oh really? Then maybe you can explain to me how a fighter with a 10-15lb weight advantage is supposed to beat a guy who is a more skilled fighter? Size counts for some things, but not nearly as much as technical skill, cardio, and muscular endurance. Ill also go as far as to say strength plays a minimal role in combat sports. Technique, cardio, muscular endurance over strength and size... and in that order to boot.

Yeah you are right... BJ's 2-5-1 record at WW at the UFC has nothing to do with those extra 15lb. (as opposed to 10-3-1 at LW)

Sarcasm...

brock lesnar and frankie edgar prove that size is not everything (in opposite ways)

Size without skill is not dangerous. It's the skill to use size that matters.
Big differenve between this:
jon-bones-jones-10.jpg

And this:
bigsmall_display_image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back