Since Cain won't dare a takedown against Werdum, how do you see a pure striking match

Werdum. He outlasted Cain in high altitude. .. he can outlast Cain in normal altitude.

Cain's striking without his threat of the takedown isn't that amazing

Werdum took months to get used to the altitude. Cain only 2 weeks or so.

I think that's why Werdum outlasted him. Cain won round 1.

It's hard to see any scenario where Cain wins the rematch. Werdum is better than him everywhere, Cain's "percieved" advantage was to beat him standing, so was Hunts, so was Nelson, and Brown. Time to wake up and realize that modern day Werdum is pretty freaking good standing up.

Keep in mind in the early stages of their first fight before Cain gassed, Werdum ate his punches, and picked him apart. Cains grinding style consists of clinching, and Werdum under Cordero has adapted those Chute Boxe knees, that game plan won't work ...again.

If Cain gets him down, he is in Werdums favored area, and this is where Cain goes when he's desperate and needs to recover, see Congo match.

This is just a bad match up for Cain.

Fans need to start looking at modern day Werdum, not the Werdum that faced Overeem. He is an exciting finisher, who works hard, and is constantly getting better, a classy dude and a great champ.

This coming from a huge Cain fan. He gassed not because of altitude, but because he was getting beat up. FACT.

Werdum took months to get used to the altitude. Cain only 2 weeks or so.

I think that's why Werdum outlasted him. Cain won round 1.

Werdum went to Mexico 34 days before the fight,cain 2 weeks(14 days). I don't think 20 days of difference will be a huge factor. Cain maybe won round 1 on paper but certainly not in terms of damage and especially mentally. Werdum clearly showed he had no fear of him neither standing or on the ground,while Cain,even when not gassed and in round 1,wanted everything but go to the ground with Fabricio,while eating Werdum's punches and knees.

cain will gas again
i think he has just one round to try to get the ko victory
and he has to go hard
werdum can defend himself like no other cain has fought
also he is able to strike back and hurt him
thats the difference to bf or jds

I think he'll punch the schisse out of him

Cain had no answer for Werdum's jab.

Cain Velasquez is vastly overrated. His striking is hot garbage.

To me this is a coin toss. I thought Cain was going to demolish Werdum but luckily I was wrong. However, I do feel that Cain not training at high altitude played a big role in him gassing. Probably leaning a bit towards Werdum and he's the guy I'll definitely root for. Next fight will show us if Cain's threat of takedowns is the main reason behind his success at fighting strikers. There's no denying that he was overrated, let's just see by how much.

I can't really comment on the first fight. I only heard Cain gassed, but the fight took place in a high altitude state. If that's the case, I'd blame the environment, and would pick Cain in a rematch. Cain was also coming off of a rather long layoff. I just don't believe Cain gassed naturally. The guy is a machine.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the rematch was a lopsided ass-kicking by Cain. It seems that it took a lack of activity due to injuries, and one bad loss, to make people forget how good Cain really is.

I will 100% bet on him, like i did in JDS II

I bet on him against brock, against him for jds 1 (against him for jds 2 - loss) with him for jds 3, with him for both Bigfoot fights and against him for werdum.

Werdum will beat him standing this time. Cain will gas again.

I think "Cardio Cain" is a myth just like UFC tried hyping Barao as #1 P4P. Cain certainly has good cardio for a Heavyweight but he got the reputation in the 2nd and 3rd JDS fights which were really favorable for him.

JDS had no answer for the wall and maul so Cain just made Junior hold his weight. When Cain got tired, he'd just bury his head into Junior, rest and go back to working. He tried the same thing against Werdum and it failed due to Muay Thai which gassed him out. He also gassed out against Kongo who gave him a tough fight. Kongo just gassed harder in the end and lost.

If Cain is going to win, he's going to have to keep it standing and use his speed and boxing. He needs to avoid the clinch and the ground. Unless Werdum fights lazy and is unmotivated, I think he still beats Cain standing and the fight won't look much differently.

This "he is just too good for Cain" argument reminds me all the talk before Cain/JDSII.

"Ohh, he is just too fast and too powerful, with amazing TDD, horrible match up for Cain"

you keep bringing loss to JDS, but these two losses are nothing alike.

Werdum/Cain II will be like Cain/JDS II. Believe that.

except that Cain tried to do the same thing as in Cain/JDS II to Werdum and failed miserably. if Cain comes out and try to JDS Werdum, he will fail again.

Lol Werdum has WAY better stand up game, take off the TD threat and Cain will get tooled all day in the clinch....

Cains only hope is to take Fabricio down and actually defend the subs to be able to GnP.

I honestly think Cain's not afraid of Werdum on the ground....provided he's not already gassed by the time he gets there.

Back