Silva's desire to fight GSP

You can tell the scared GSP fans by the fact that they call GSP a small WW and say that Jones is closer in size to Anderson, who is a HUGE MW. All three of those things are false.

I don't know if I'd call it scared. I think most GSP just recognize the obvious, Anderson is about ten pounds heavier than GSP (which is why Anderson can't make 170 to fight there anymore), and the odds are on the heavier guy. The same would be true if GSP was supposed to fight Jones, or Cain - most of his fans would say he'd be expected to lose, and would be against the fight. Is it being scared if you're avoiding a foregone conclusion? Is not jumping off a 50 foot cliff being scared, or just smart? Most of us learn as kids that just because someone double dares you, and calls you a chicken if you don't jump off a high roof, doesn't mean you should do it.

GSP definitely isn't a small WW, he's pretty much average size (most of them walk around at about 190, which is what he's currently at, the large ones walk around at close to 200, the small ones around 180). Even in minor leagues, a walk around weight of 190 is the norm.

Anderson is a small MW, GSP is an average WW, hence the weight difference of about ten pounds. Its still ten pounds though, and the advantage of size is with Anderson. And outside of Kung-fu movies, that weight is important (or if its not, GSP should forget Anderson, and go straight for Cain - if weight divisions are meaningless, might as well go straight to the top).

Cutting as much weight as humanly possible to fight smaller guys is any different? They probably walk around at near the same weight actually.

Walk around weight doesn't work too well here, because Anderson likes to balloon up between fights. Anderson walks around at about 220 according to his own figures, GSP currently walks around at 185-190. But their in shape weight is about ten pounds apart. Which makes sense, if they were the same weight, Anderson could drop to 170 as easily as GSP, and the fight would be easy to arrange, because it would be for the WW title.

Last edited:
Silva is going to wait Jones out till he moves to HW so that fight will never happen. Silva shits his pants about that fight which is why he continues to call out the smaller guys and refuses to fight contenders in his own division unless they are hand picked like Bisping.

Cutting as much weight as humanly possible to fight smaller guys is any different? They probab tly walk around at near the same weight actually.

anderson walks around probably a good 20lb heavier than gsp. he fights comfortable @ 205 and isn't dwarfed by the biggest in the division, bonnar and forrest.

I don't know if I'd call it scared. I think most GSP just recognize the obvious, Anderson is about ten pounds heavier than GSP (which is why Anderson can't make 170 to fight there anymore), and the odds are on the heavier guy. The same would be true if GSP was supposed to fight Jones, or Cain - most of his fans would say he'd be expected to lose, and would be against the fight. Is it being scared if you're avoiding a foregone conclusion? Is not jumping off a 50 foot cliff being scared, or just smart? Most of us learn as kids that just because someone double dares you, and calls you a chicken if you don't jump off a high roof, doesn't mean you should do it.

GSP definitely isn't a small WW, he's pretty much average size (most of them walk around at about 190, which is what he's currently at, the large ones walk around at close to 200, the small ones around 180). Even in minor leagues, a walk around weight of 190 is the norm.

Anderson is a small MW, GSP is an average WW, hence the weight difference of about ten pounds. Its still ten pounds though, and the advantage of size is with Anderson. And outside of Kung-fu movies, that weight is important (or if its not, GSP should forget Anderson, and go straight for Cain - if weight divisions are meaningless, might as well go straight to the top).

what? lol

As a GSP fan I am not afraid for GSP to fight Silva...in my opinion it's a win-win for GSP. How much flack does BJ take for losing to GSP, or Machida? Do you think if Hendo had lost to Fedor it would have tainted his legacy?

As far as how people view both fighters down the line, remember this: Anderson will retire with at least 4 losses, and we all saw him get dominated for 23 minutes...he was exposed. GSP only has 2 loses, both the UFC champions, and while he did get caught by Serra he wasn't dominated. GSP has fought much tougher opponents throughout his career than Silva (GSP never fought one-punch James Irvin or Stephan Bonner). To be honest, if you really look at the variables objectively, I think GSP is already the best fighter of his generation, and ahead of Silva in the GOAT talk.

Silva has more power and have a iron chin, Silva has more skills than GSP. Easily win for Silva.

Sweet 2nd post bro, you should think about your next one before you post it. You might come off a little less douchebaggy. What are the "more skills" Napoleon Dynamite?

How is Anderson a small middle weight? Are you guys really that blind? HE HAS HAD A REACH AND HEIGHT ADVANTAGE IN EVERY SINGLE CAREER TITLE DEFENSE AND EVERY OTHER CAREER FIGHT BUT 1 INCLUDING FIGHTS AGAINST LHW.

DUR

Silva has wanted the GSP fight before Jones was ever talked about as a contender, and Silva and GSP have been ranked as #1 and #2 p4p for a very long time now, thats why people want to see this fight. I'd like to see him fight Jones as well, but AFTER the GSP fight, especially since Jones has become GSP fans defence mechanism/go to argument to stop the Anderson GSP fight happening.

False.

Anderson only started to promote for the GSP fight right after Shogun took the LHW title and started to promote for a fight with Anderson. this was just months prior to GSP fighting Shields and it was the FIRST TIME Anderson ever stated publically he wanted to fight GSP. And when Jones beat Shogun down then Anderson got almost obsessed with a GSP fight saying he wanted it because it was easier then a Jones fight.

For the years prior, during all the #1/#2 p4p talks whenever Anderson was asked by reporters if he wanted to fight GSP his answer was always something along the lines of 'it is not a fight that interests me'.

But by all means please provide some quotes, since there must be many over the years if Anderson has been talking about a fight with GSP for years.

I'm not sure how this relates to my post or even this thread in general.
It very obviously does. You took a jab at GSP fans (for some reason some people are always generalizing like this, which always becomes worthless arguments) for not having a problem with GSP fighting Penn, as a response to some people disliking that Anderson calls out a smaller fighter.

That comparison is bad because GSP never called out Penn, he just did what he's always done, which is defend his title against whomever the UFC said he should (well, now he wanted Nick Diaz, but that's the exception). Penn was the one that had gotten the UFC to grant him a shot at the WW title so he did all the work to get that fight to happen because he wanted it. No talk about GSP moving to catch weight either.

C'mon, do you has reading comprehensions? Its pretty obvious that his post is in direct responce to your post, retard.

I get that, i'm not sure how your post relates to either though.

Silva is going to wait Jones out till he moves to HW so that fight will never happen. Silva shits his pants about that fight which is why he continues to call out the smaller guys and refuses to fight contenders in his own division unless they are hand picked like Bisping.

So somehow you can grasp why GSP declined to fight Hendricks but refuse to understand why Silva isn't fighting Weidman just yet...?

Plus you also refuse to knowledge the statements Silva has made on being open to fight Jones like he's open to fight GSP...? Okay.

Last edited:
How is Anderson a small middle weight? Are you guys really that blind? HE HAS HAD A REACH AND HEIGHT ADVANTAGE IN EVERY SINGLE CAREER TITLE DEFENSE AND EVERY OTHER CAREER FIGHT BUT 1 INCLUDING FIGHTS AGAINST LHW.

DUR

small mw.

ufc134_12_silva_vs_okami_005.jpg

dnycu8.png

Actually unless its some huge weight difference, like say GSP and Cain, it doesnt really matter. How many guys actually weigh what they fight at. How many guys actually weigh that at fight time? none. Look at Akiyamas fights at MW, he walked into the cage pretty much at his every day weight and was fucking dwarfed by guys exploiting weight cutting. Its bullshit. But hey I dont fight for a paycheck to feed my family so who am I to judge? Still dont like that much cutting.

Actually unless its some huge weight difference, like say GSP and Cain, it doesnt really matter. How many guys actually weigh what they fight at. How many guys actually weigh that at fight time? none. Look at Akiyamas fights at MW, he walked into the cage pretty much at his every day weight and was fucking dwarfed by guys exploiting weight cutting. Its bullshit. But hey I dont fight for a paycheck to feed my family so who am I to judge? Still dont like that much cutting.

When two fighters have very comperable skill levels size and strength do make a tremendous difference, which is why combat sports usually have weight classes, and fighters are doing everything they can to compete in the lowest weight class possible. If the skills are disparaging, like Silva vs. James Irvin, or Silva vs. Stephan Bonner, then size is less of a factor. At the top level though fighters are so evenly matched size and strength is very important. Just as Nate Diaz.

Of course it matters. Unless you're one of the extremely few that doesn't cut weight you're still fighting guys that would be in your division if no one cut. Sure, some cut a little more than others but there would basically be the same kind of differences if no one cut, it's just that every WW wouldn't weigh in at exactly 170 but between 160-170.

The only place it really would change is the LHW's that would suddenly be thrown up to HW, where a lot of the HW's would outweigh them but still be in the HW gap.

Size really matters when the skill level is fairly equal. So moving up to fight the P4P best fighter in the world is an enormous challenge.

He may beat his records, but he won't ever be called a better fighter than Anderson unless he proves it.

Ya this is just more dumb from you.

Anderson never needed to fight and beat Fedor in his prime and neither will GSP need to with Anderson.

If Anderson loses and retires and GSP goes on a number of years dominating he will be above Anderson in most fans minds. Fans of this sport are very fickle. Very today focused. You go from great to near 'can' level in one performance. No one remembers what you accomplished yesterday, let alone years prior.

As the years go by flashy finishes are one of the first things diminished or forgotten by sports pundits. Instead they focus on the quality of the best wins. Who did you fight. Who did you beat.

I think GSP will matchup very well to Anderson in those discussions as most see him fighting better comp.

what? lol

ya anderson fans are ridiculous. they try to pretend Anderson is near WW size and yet say Anderson can't cut to WW to fight GSP as it would likely kill him to make the cut.

Anderson is a very big MW and a good sized LHW. GSP is a big WW and would be a very small MW if he gained some weight to move up. He would be a slightly smaller version of Akiyama when he was at MW and when everyone was saying he was too small and should move down to WW.

I think they should put a limit on how much someone can cut for a fight by weighing them in day before as usual and then again right before the fight. It would take a little while for the fighters to adjust to how to regulate themselves but I think it would help. Like put a 5-10 pound limit so fighters would have to watch how much they weigh before they started the initial cut.

ya anderson fans are ridiculous. they try to pretend Anderson is near WW size and yet say Anderson can't cut to WW to fight GSP as it would likely kill him to make the cut.

Anderson is a very big MW and a good sized LHW. GSP is a big WW and would be a very small MW if he gained some weight to move up. He would be a slightly smaller version of Akiyama when he was at MW and when everyone was saying he was too small and should move down to WW.

exactly! very delusional.

Back