Silva's desire to fight GSP

opl

Green Belt
Reaction score
http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2012/12/dana-white-has-high-hopes-for-ufc-155-thanks-to-the-weather

"I never know how they're going to do," White said. "With GSP, I don't have to worry or guess what he's going to do. I know what he's going to do. This is one of those fights around the holidays (that could do anything)."

Regardless of the weight or any other differences between the two fighters, this statement further reiterates why GSP could care less about fighting Silva. He doesn't need him to make more money or be more famous.

I also thought it was befitting that this statement was made by White just days before the 5rd humiliation of JDS at 155 in the hands of CV (who clearly took his strategy from GSP's blueprints).

GSP doesn't need Silva or any superfight. Because according to his boss and the numbers he produces he is the UFC's super fighter when it comes to making moolah.

GSP is the 2nd best fighter of this generation. Thats why Silva wants to fight him.

GSP doesn't need Silva or any superfight. Because according to his boss and the numbers he produces he is the UFC's super fighter when it comes to making moolah.

GSP is still 31, when he's 37 and near the end of his career, he'll start looking around for super fights as well, to get some last big bucks before retirement.

With the exception of the very light weights in boxing, which are only separated by a few pounds, its atypical for 31 year olds to look for superfights, they've got a long career ahead of them in their weight class. Even less typical for mid-20's guys like Jones. Wait five years, and GSP will be in the market for super fights. Wait ten years and Jones will be.

Anderson wasn't looking for superfights with Liddel at age 31 either.

wonder why silva doesn't seem to have much desire to fight jones?

oh that's right, they became friends right after jones schooled shogun

he said he would fight him. but that he didn't want to fight for his title. Jones then said if Silva wanted him he had to challenge him for his belt.

Also we as fans were promised this fight a few years ago. IF Silva beat Maia, he was supposed to fight GSP.

The only ones that don't want it are scared GSP fans.

As a Silva fan, I would love to see him fight Jones as well.

Silva has said he would fight Jones at a catch weight, just like he said he would fight Georges at a catch weight.

It has nothing to do with money, GSP has shown time and time again in interviews that he wants nothing to do with Silva. And to those who will inevitabily say "Well why don't you want Anderson to fight Jones?" I do, but I want the GSP fight first. People have wanted this fight since before Jones was even a contender at 205.

yeah keep calling out the smaller guy

How exactly did Cain clearly take his strategy from GSP's blueprint?

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2012/12/dana-white-has-high-hopes-for-ufc-155-thanks-to-the-weather

"I never know how they're going to do," White said. "With GSP, I don't have to worry or guess what he's going to do. I know what he's going to do. This is one of those fights around the holidays (that could do anything)."

Regardless of the weight or any other differences between the two fighters, this statement further reiterates why GSP could care less about fighting Silva. He doesn't need him to make more money or be more famous.

I also thought it was befitting that this statement was made by White just days before the 5rd humiliation of JDS at 155 in the hands of CV (who clearly took his strategy from GSP's blueprints).

How about making the fight to challenge himself and test his limits?

That's what great fighters do. They don't sit around deciding what fights are safe, or what's the safest way to make most money. They look to test themselves and push their limits, especially when they've pretty much cleaned out their respective divisions.

It has nothing to do with money, GSP has shown time and time again in interviews that he wants nothing to do with Silva. And to those who will inevitabily say "Well why don't you want Anderson to fight Jones?" I do, but I want the GSP fight first. People have wanted this fight since before Jones was even a contender at 205.

It has everything to do with Money. GSP wants the biggest reward with the lowest risk when he takes a fight. Silva would be big reward but big risk as well. That's why he chose to fight Diaz over Hendricks, bigger reward and lower risk.

Sure a fight with Silva would give him the highest payday, but it could lower his future earnings significantly if he loses which is why GSP dodges the question so often talking about how he'd have to talk to his team before making the move up in weight to fight Silva.

This kind of sucks IMO.

GSP is a good looking guy and comes off as a very nice guy. He's very smart with the way he's marketed himself.

He has a lot of fans who will cheer for him just for those reasons regardless of what he does in the cage (who he fights, when he fights, how he fights, where he fights, etc.).

So in essence his fans don't want any superfights for him because GSP doesn't need or want them himself. That is what sucks to me. Fans should want to see the best fights and not worry so much about legacies and records of fighters.

GSP fans had no problem with him fighting BJ Penn whatsoever.

Wait, did GSP call out BJ Penn continuously? Could have sworn that wasn't the case.

BJ asked for that fight. And he got his wish, unfortunately for him.

I love the Silva haters "smaller guy" talk.

Jones is fighting his second MW IN A ROW! lol. He gets the guys that lose to Anderson Silva lol. Who is his next fight going to be, Travis Lutter? lol.

GSP had his huge rivalry with the LW champ BJ Penn.

Silva has said he would fight both Jones and GSP. He was also saying he wanted to fight Frank Mir a couple years ago. Dana White wouldn't let it happen. Silva isn't afraid, GSP fans are.

he said he would fight him. but that he didn't want to fight for his title. Jones then said if Silva wanted him he had to challenge him for his belt.

Also we as fans were promised this fight a few years ago. IF Silva beat Maia, he was supposed to fight GSP.

The only ones that don't want it are scared GSP fans.

As a Silva fan, I would love to see him fight Jones as well.

I like GSP and Silva's skills, so I'm not saying I don't want to see them fight. Just seems like he's pushing so much for this fight and never says a thing about Jones who is closer to his size. Also pretty convenient that Silva says not for the belt and Jones says the opposite. Of the two, I'd much rather see Silva vs Jones

Silva has said he would fight Jones at a catch weight, just like he said he would fight Georges at a catch weight.

Yeah, they both did say that, once. But I feel like they're saying it so it doesn't seem like they're afraid to fight each other. You hear about Silva wanting to fight the smaller GSP every other day.

I love the Silva haters "smaller guy" talk.

Jones is fighting his second MW IN A ROW! lol. He gets the guys that lose to Anderson Silva lol. Who is his next fight going to be, Travis Lutter? lol.

GSP had his huge rivalry with the LW champ BJ Penn.

Silva has said he would fight both Jones and GSP. He was also saying he wanted to fight Frank Mir a couple years ago. Dana White wouldn't let it happen. Silva isn't afraid, GSP fans are.

Who cares what Silva says? Silva also said he wanted to fight Roy Jones in a boxing match several years ago.

Talk is cheap.

Wait, did GSP call out BJ Penn continuously? Could have sworn that wasn't the case.

That wasn't my point. His fans are the point, they weren't always going on about how much size matters before the BJ fight, as they do in all of the GSP vs Silva threads. Apparently size difference had no bearing on that fight, but would be a huge issue if this one ever happens, please explain?

It has everything to do with Money. GSP wants the biggest reward with the lowest risk when he takes a fight. Silva would be big reward but big risk as well. That's why he chose to fight Diaz over Hendricks, bigger reward and lower risk.

Sure a fight with Silva would give him the highest payday, but it could lower his future earnings significantly if he loses which is why GSP dodges the question so often talking about how he'd have to talk to his team before making the move up in weight to fight Silva.

My bad, I didn't even think about future fights.

I like GSP and Silva's skills, so I'm not saying I don't want to see them fight. Just seems like he's pushing so much for this fight and never says a thing about Jones who is closer to his size. Also pretty convenient that Silva says not for the belt and Jones says the opposite. Of the two, I'd much rather see Silva vs Jones

Yeah, they both did say that, once. But I feel like they're saying it so it doesn't seem like they're afraid to fight each other. You hear about Silva wanting to fight the smaller GSP every other day.

Silva has called out Frank Mir, GSP, Jon Jones, and Roy Jones Jr. in a boxing match. The issue is in Dana's hands. He's the one preventing certain match-ups. He's even said so himself.

A few years ago there was a sherdog poll, it was a landslide saying GSP would win. Let's find out.

Back