Silva's desire to fight GSP

You can tell the scared GSP fans by the fact that they call GSP a small WW and say that Jones is closer in size to Anderson, who is a HUGE MW. All three of those things are false.

You can tell the scared GSP fans by the fact that they call GSP a small WW and say that Jones is closer in size to Anderson, who is a HUGE MW. All three of those things are false.

True GSP fans have nothing to fear BC they know Georges will beat AS when they fight.

Took the words outta my mouth!
Then you are thinking illogically because GSP fought Penn because Penn had called GSP out and gotten the UFC to give him a shot at GSP's title. GSP has always fought everyone that the UFC has named the #1 challenger.

For your comparison to be even remotely valid GSP would have been the one to call out Penn and demand that he move up to a catch weight so they could fight.

I'd say only about 1/8 of GSP fans actually seem to want to see this fight now. Years ago it was supposedly all Silva's fault this fight was never happening and he was "ducking". Now that it's obvious he's not ducking and he's been looking unstoppable, he's "picking on a smaller fighter" lol. Quite hilarious & sad how people continue to put their obvious twist on the situation.

But by your own logic, GSP will never surpass Anderson unless he goes up in weight, if he doesn't, his legacy doesn't grow.

Then again, after Anderson's retirement I have a funny feeling GSP will decide it's "the right time" to challenge himself at 185.

GSP has things Anderson doesn't namely time and longevity. He'll have the time to shatter Anderson's records due to his age.

GSP has things Anderson doesn't namely time and longevity. He'll have the time to shatter Anderson's records due to his age.

He may beat his records, but he won't ever be called a better fighter than Anderson unless he proves it.

I'd say only about 1/8 of GSP fans actually seem to want to see this fight now. Years ago it was supposedly all Silva's fault this fight was never happening and he was "ducking". Now that it's obvious he's not ducking and he's been looking unstoppable, he's "picking on a smaller fighter" lol. Quite hilarious & sad how people continue to put their obvious twist on the situation.

1/8th? Seriously? 12.5%? Good goin' with the numbers. You must have a lot of time on your hands to sort through the posts by GSP fans and then calculate the number that want to see the fight.

'Years ago it was Silva ducking?' I've never read a post stating that. Silva has always wanted the safe fight against the smaller fighter that poses less threat. And against larger fighters he simply picks the best matchup possible for him. A la Roy Jones, Jr.

I honestly don't give a shit what anderson says(especially anderson).When fights are signed I start to care.

Anderson Silva said he's moving on since GSP wants no part of him weeks ago.

There is a chance that GSP could pull a Cain. But the chances of that are low. There is a significant size difference and Silva will not keep himself open to punches.

He may beat his records, but he won't ever be called a better fighter than Anderson unless he proves it.

Who's a better fighter is an opinion, records are facts. Comparison of these two consepts are akin to comparison of apples and oranges.

But by your own logic, GSP will never surpass Anderson unless he goes up in weight, if he doesn't, his legacy doesn't grow.

Then again, after Anderson's retirement I have a funny feeling GSP will decide it's "the right time" to challenge himself at 185.

Actually my guess is that GSP will never surpass Anderson. He'll leave the number one WW of his time, just as Hughes was the number one of his time, which is still way better than most of us ever achieve, but he won't catch Anderson.

I think you can still have a top level legacy without going up in weight (Chuck Liddell for instance never fought has a HW, Matt Hughes never went to MW, Marvin Hagler only fought seriously at MW etc). But most of the time, fighters go up as they get older and closer to retirement, unless they're in the low weight divisions in boxing where going up ten pounds gets you three titles.

My guess is that GSP will do what most legends do - fight in his division until he's about 35, then start looking for super fights for that last bit of cash. He'll end up having some wins at MW, but I doubt he'll ever win the title there. Then he'll retire, with his brain intact, before he starts losing badly (unlike say Liddell or Muhammed Ali, who stayed in too long). His legacy won't be as good as Anderson's, but I doubt he'll care much - he'll have gone from a poor kid without much future to a millionaire, and probably consider himself lucky not to be doing a dead end job like most of the guys he grew up with.

OldBoy91 said:
GSP fans had no problem with him fighting BJ Penn whatsoever.

Took the words outta my mouth!

lol. You admit to having some really dumb words in your mouth.

every champ, EVERY ONE OF THEM, is obligated to fight the guys who make weight in their division and are named the contender by the UFC. Whether that is Joe Riggs dropping all the way down frlom HW to WW or Aldo moving all the way up to WW or BJ moving up to WW. the only way for the champ to not fight them is to give up the belt.

I wonder if GSP had said 'I know BJ made weight at WW but i think he is a small WW and so I refuse to fight him', if you same guys would have supported that. What if BJ had said that about Edgar?

lol. You admit to having some really dumb words in your mouth.

every champ, EVERY ONE OF THEM, is obligated to fight the guys who make weight in their division and are named the contender by the UFC. Whether that is Joe Riggs dropping all the way down frlom HW to WW or Aldo moving all the way up to WW or BJ moving up to WW. the only way for the champ to not fight them is to give up the belt.

I wonder if GSP had said 'I know BJ made weight at WW but i think he is a small WW and so I refuse to fight him', if you same guys would have supported that. What if BJ had said that about Edgar?

I'm not sure how this relates to my post or even this thread in general.

Silva has more power and have a iron chin, Silva has more skills than GSP. Easily win for Silva.

1/8th? Seriously? 12.5%? Good goin' with the numbers. You must have a lot of time on your hands to sort through the posts by GSP fans and then calculate the number that want to see the fight.

'Years ago it was Silva ducking?' I've never read a post stating that. Silva has always wanted the safe fight against the smaller fighter that poses less threat. And against larger fighters he simply picks the best matchup possible for him. A la Roy Jones, Jr.

This is another problem with you people, you act like Silva is calling out GSP when he's only agreed to Dana's idea to fight him. Yet refuse to see that Silva has "called out" Jones about as much as GSP so you can keep crying & complaining about Silva. He's open to both fights with both p4p fighters right above & below his weight class. You guys want to act like he's calling Aldo out.

How about making the fight to challenge himself and test his limits?

That's what great fighters do. They don't sit around deciding what fights are safe, or what's the safest way to make most money. They look to test themselves and push their limits, especially when they've pretty much cleaned out their respective divisions.

Are you talking about Silva or GSP? One has a history of questionable opponents the other doenst.

Back