Silva's desire to fight GSP

That wasn't my point. His fans are the point, they weren't always going on about how much size matters before the BJ fight, as they do in all of the GSP vs Silva threads. Apparently size difference had no bearing on that fight, but would be a huge issue if this one ever happens, please explain?

BJ Penn fans said size didn't matter, because "look at the first fight, GSP went to the hospital and Penn went home" and GSP fans said "fine, but then after the fight you can't use size as an excuse"

next thing you know....

GSP is still 31, when he's 37 and near the end of his career, he'll start looking around for super fights as well, to get some last big bucks before retirement.

With the exception of the very light weights in boxing, which are only separated by a few pounds, its atypical for 31 year olds to look for superfights, they've got a long career ahead of them in their weight class. Even less typical for mid-20's guys like Jones. Wait five years, and GSP will be in the market for super fights. Wait ten years and Jones will be.

Anderson wasn't looking for superfights with Liddel at age 31 either.

Yeah, I agree, its selfish on Anderson's part. But, GSP still has time left so why risk a super fight when there is nothing in it for GSP. IF GSP wins, people probably won't respect it because GSP will probably look worse and that fans will call it a boring fight.

That wasn't my point. His fans are the point, they weren't always going on about how much size matters before the BJ fight, as they do in all of the GSP vs Silva threads. Apparently size difference had no bearing on that fight, but would be a huge issue if this one ever happens, please explain?

Well, I don't know why people would complain if their own favourite fighter has a size advantage. And the fact remains, GSP obliged BJ for that second fight.

Are Silva fans complaining about the size difference between he and GSP? I doubt it.

I agree it's being blown out of proportion, but it is a legitimate concern when discussing fighters from different weight classes.

This stupid 'superfight' talk again...

Is it so hard to see that GSP doesn't want to fight Silva and Silva doesn't want to fight Jones?

There will never be a superfight with this 3 guys involved. Get used to it.

Yeah, I agree, its selfish on Anderson's part. But, GSP still has time left so why risk a super fight when there is nothing in it for GSP. IF GSP wins, people probably won't respect it because GSP will probably look worse and that fans will call it a boring fight.

and people will want GSP to fight at MW for the rest of his career because he just beat the best MW. Which means he'd have to fight guys who were cutting from LHW, (possibly Shogun, Rashad, people like that) in order to keep going.

Fighting giants for the rest of his career = brain damage.

Touching story. I heard you can buy GSP's dirty spandex online if you're interested.

This stupid 'superfight' talk again...

Is it so hard to see that GSP doesn't want to fight Silva and Silva doesn't want to fight Jones?

There will never be a superfight with this 3 guys involved. Get used to it.

there will be talk as long as guys like you post this nonsense. Silva has said he would fight Jones, just not for his belt.

The was a strange cycle.

Before the 2nd fight Penn fans said size wan't going to be an issue because of how well Penn did in their first fight.

Then after the 2nd fight Penn fans said size was definitely an issue because how well GSP dominated him.

Then GSP fans claimed that was just an excuse Penn fans were using and that size wasn't an issue.

Now GSP fans are saying even a catchweight of 178 wouldn't be fair for GSP because Anderson is so much bigger.

Well, I don't know why people would complain if their own favourite fighter has a size advantage. And the fact remains, GSP obliged BJ for that second fight.

Are Silva fans complaining about the size difference between he and GSP? I doubt it.

I agree it's being blown out of proportion, but it is a legitimate concern when discussing fighters from different weight classes.

Of course Silva fans aren't complaining about a size advantage, but (to my knowledge) they aren't opposed to seeing him fight Jones either as the GSP fans so boldly claim. The reason people want to see the GSP fight FIRST is because it has been talked about since Jones was a green upstart who wasn't even a contender.

A small point about the GSP BJ fight. Leading up to UFC 94 GSP continually said "I want to fight the best in the world. Right now, BJ Penn is the best, so I want to fight him."

Either he lost his motivation for fighting the best in the world, or he has deluded himself into thinking Nick Diaz is the top fighter on the planet.

Actually the GSP fans around this board said that he would beat BJ bc of him being much bigger and stronger - it was BJ fans that said motivated BJ beats everyone.

The was a strange cycle.

Before the 2nd fight Penn fans said size wan't going to be an issue because of how well Penn did in their first fight.

Then after the 2nd fight Penn fans said size was definitely an issue because how well GSP dominated him.

Then GSP fans claimed that was just an excuse Penn fans were using and that size wasn't an issue.

Now GSP fans are saying even a catchweight of 178 wouldn't be fair for GSP because Anderson is so much bigger.

This is how I remember it as well.

How about making the fight to challenge himself and test his limits?

That's what great fighters do. They don't sit around deciding what fights are safe, or what's the safest way to make most money. They look to test themselves and push their limits, especially when they've pretty much cleaned out their respective divisions.

Um, WW isn't even close to being cleaned out. People are already claiming GSP is ducking Hendricks. You can even find a lot of thread of people saying GSP is afraid of Hendricks. Maybe GSP should clean up WW before fighting outside his weight division.

The fact is, GSP is about ten pounds lighter than Anderson (which is why Anderson can't make 170), and given a fight between two dominant champs, the heavier guy almost always wins. Anyone who doesn't think Anderson is a heavy favorite against GSP is smoking something. So given that we already know the outcome of Anderson-GSP, the only reason for the fight is to make money - and GSP is still early enough in his career that he doesn't need to make super fights for cash yet.

The reason Anderson wants GSP is because he's near the end of his career, and wants the big payday. It does nothing for his legacy to beat GSP - he's the bigger fighter, he's expected to beat GSP ... and it would be a huge upset if GSP won (about as much of an upset as Ben Henderson beating GSP). However, the fight could earn Anderson a lot of money. GSP has plenty of time to earn that money, so the fight makes way less sense for him. Again, how many heavier fighters have gone for super fights when they were still in their early 30's?

Of course Silva fans aren't complaining about a size advantage, but (to my knowledge) they aren't opposed to seeing him fight Jones either as the GSP fans so boldly claim. The reason people want to see the GSP fight FIRST is because it has been talked about since Jones was a green upstart who wasn't even a contender.

A small point about the GSP BJ fight. Leading up to UFC 94 GSP continually said "I want to fight the best in the world. Right now, BJ Penn is the best, so I want to fight him."

Either he lost his motivation for fighting the best in the world, or he has deluded himself into thinking Nick Diaz is the top fighter on the planet.

I think it was implied that he meant for the WW title (which is what BJ wanted to fight for). If Anderson drops to 170 to fight for the WW title, I suspect GSP wouldn't try to duck him. Otherwise, if weight divisions don't matter, then fighting the best means fighting Cain right now, not Anderson. In fact, if weight is irrelevant (as many fans on this forum seem to believe), both Anderson and GSP are ducking Cain.

This is insane. GSP is afraid? He fights everyone. He has become a small welterweight and people say because he's not going up weight classes on their time frame he's afraid?

If Silva wants GSP he knows where to find him.

Silva wants to fight GSP but he wants to do it in a manner that makes sense for his career.

I think Silva is smart for not rushing to cut to 170 to fight GSP.

do the GSP fans remember this?

"UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva, fresh off his first-round knockout of Forrest Griffin at light heavyweight earlier this month, has approached the UFC about fighting at heavyweight, with Frank Mir on his list of preferred opponents."

Um, WW isn't even close to being cleaned out. People are already claiming GSP is ducking Hendricks. You can even find a lot of thread of people saying GSP is afraid of Hendricks. Maybe GSP should clean up WW before fighting outside his weight division.

The fact is, GSP is about ten pounds lighter than Anderson (which is why Anderson can't make 170), and given a fight between two dominant champs, the heavier guy almost always wins. Anyone who doesn't think Anderson is a heavy favorite against GSP is smoking something. So given that we already know the outcome of Anderson-GSP, the only reason for the fight is to make money - and GSP is still early enough in his career that he doesn't need to make super fights for cash yet.

The reason Anderson wants GSP is because he's near the end of his career, and wants the big payday. It does nothing for his legacy to beat GSP - he's the bigger fighter, he's expected to beat GSP ... and it would be a huge upset if GSP won (about as much of an upset as Ben Henderson beating GSP). However, the fight could earn Anderson a lot of money. GSP has plenty of time to earn that money, so the fight makes way less sense for him. Again, how many heavier fighters have gone for super fights when they were still in their early 30's?

Silva was once considered the top WW in the world. It's funny how a couple years change everything. There was a poll on sherdog about who would win, and GSP took it by a landslide over Silva.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2012/12/dana-white-has-high-hopes-for-ufc-155-thanks-to-the-weather

"I never know how they're going to do," White said. "With GSP, I don't have to worry or guess what he's going to do. I know what he's going to do. This is one of those fights around the holidays (that could do anything)."

Regardless of the weight or any other differences between the two fighters, this statement further reiterates why GSP could care less about fighting Silva. He doesn't need him to make more money or be more famous.

I also thought it was befitting that this statement was made by White just days before the 5rd humiliation of JDS at 155 in the hands of CV (who clearly took his strategy from GSP's blueprints).

GSP doesn't need Silva or any superfight. Because according to his boss and the numbers he produces he is the UFC's super fighter when it comes to making moolah.

Its not only about money, fame. Its about legacy, records, and fighting the best possible. GSP happens to be second best and there is not much weight difference.

And by the way, cain takes absolutely no style/ game plans from GSP. Cain was a wrestler before he even thought of mma. AKA needs absolutely nothing from Tristar or Jackson camps. AKA owns the KING weightclass and that is heavyweight for your information.

Gsp needs to beat Anderson more then Anderson needs to beat gsp.

Andy is most widely considered the #1 and gsp #2 he should want to beat him to become #1 weirdly enough though it's Anderson that wants the fight.

Maybe gsp knows he's number two and s fine with it and Anderson knows gsp is number 2 and wants to show the world

wonder why silva doesn't seem to have much desire to fight jones?

oh that's right, they became friends right after jones schooled shogun

Really, I could have swore jones admitted he learned learned MMA and till this day still looks at youtube videos of anderson his eyedol..

I love the Silva haters "smaller guy" talk.

Jones is fighting his second MW IN A ROW! lol. He gets the guys that lose to Anderson Silva lol. Who is his next fight going to be, Travis Lutter? lol.

GSP had his huge rivalry with the LW champ BJ Penn.

Silva has said he would fight both Jones and GSP. He was also saying he wanted to fight Frank Mir a couple years ago. Dana White wouldn't let it happen. Silva isn't afraid, GSP fans are.
Now you're twisting things to suit your own needs.

GSP fought Penn at WW and that's because Penn called out GSP and wanted his title. GSP has never called out someone at LW.

Jones is fighting two MW's in a row (Sonnen might stay at LHW though), which I'm not a fan of, but it's at LHW so he's really not doing anything other than defending his title against the guys UFC puts against him.

Both are significantly different to calling out a guy in a smaller weight class and also "demanding" that the smaller fighter should move up some in weight.

And as for who Anderson is talking about, he says all kinds of things that contradict each other so you can't really take his word for much. He's said that he would fight Jones at a catch weight and he's said that there's no way he would fight Jones because Jones is too good and he (Anderson) is too old. But if he means it now that's good since the P4P best fighter should not look down, he should look up in weight if he isn't content with defending his title.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back