Sherdoggers who train MMA: How you you engage in a conversation about MMA w/ those who don’t train?

just try to converse with them so they can understand. ive been talking to a few casuals about the khabib conor fight
Exactly. You need a gateway fight to become knowledgeable. No one goes from kindergarten to classes at M.I.T.

I was at the bar last weekend and was talking to some dudes about the UFC and some fighters and I found it difficult to have an insightful conversation with someone who doesn’t train MMA. It was painful as hell talking to someone who has no idea what they’re talking about. Do you feel the same? Do you think those who don’t train MMA are second rate fans of the sport? Do you think higher of yourself like I do? I wanna be a better ambassador of the sport but I just can’t do it.

Exactly. You need a gateway fight to become knowledgeable. No one goes from kindergarten to classes at M.I.T.
my best friend is a casual fan and will tune in for jones, conor, anderson etc. the big name guys that he knows. some people wont ever go beyond that and are fine with watching the big ppvs

If you know how to talk to people then it's no problem.

If you're trying to talk about footwork and clinch techniques and dissecting the camp the fighter comes from and why round 1 wasn't a 10-8 then you don't have a high aptitude for social interaction.

You should be talking about how one looks bigger or more ripped, or how one is gonna get put to sleep soon, how gay a tattoo is, maybe mention how joe rogan isn't as good as he used to be and they should bring goldie back to assert your status as the elder MMA fan at the most.

Under appreciation of grappling skills irks me a bit. It's mainly on Sherdog that it bothers me.

You'll get brown belts talking about how GSP and Khabib are lay n prayers. That really grinds my gears, especially when said about Khabib.

You don't have to like a fighter to appreciate some really high-level, technical grappling and activity.

That, and anything to do with CM Punk. Anyone who's trained for more than a year would recognize that not only did he look bad in every facet of MMA, but he was on about the same level as a very average athlete who trains 3 nights a week for six months.

Considering this guy spent 2 years + training out of a prestigious gym, fulltime....it's a joke that he was even allowed to jump in an octagon.

I was at the bar last weekend and was talking to some dudes about the UFC and some fighters and I found it difficult to have an insightful conversation with someone who doesn’t train MMA. It was painful as hell talking to someone who has no idea what they’re talking about. Do you feel the same? Do you think those who don’t train MMA are second rate fans of the sport? Do you think higher of yourself like I do? I wanna be a better ambassador of the sport but I just can’t do it.
Please refer to half of my 20,000 posts

Before speaking you should first throw a punch. If they block it you know they train UFC.

Problem solved.

Theres plenty of people who know what they are watching without training.

There’s definitely those types of people who no matter what you explain, their causalness wont let them understand. Some guy was telling me that dc is gonna get killed by Brock but rampage would beat them both lol

Also, almost anytime people ask me what type of fighting I do, and I respond with mma, they immediately ask “you do ufc?”

Well do you? UFC? Bro?

i don't talk to anyone about MMA in the real world, either because they think it's human cockfighting, or most MMA bros are white power felon idiots

Come on now, that's unfair. Andrea's husband was never in the UFC.

Who the fuck says they train in martial arts, unless they run a gym?

Ask them about the fight between Connelly and Habibi.

Yeah I can't do it TS, as someone who appreciates strategy and technique more than anything else, it's hard to converse with casuals.

Last event I watch with casual fans it was 3rd round I think of Diaz v McGregor 2, and one guy started calling it a fix because "Colin's not even trying, he could just swing on him right now".

Yes he actually called him Colin, while the word Conor was on the screen.

<{Heymansnicker}>
Anything other than getting tapped out by a 115b girl like TS did.

TS got tapped but so what? It was his first training session on the gym and they we're sparring lightly not fighting. That means TS can't use his power advantage at all or otherwise he would hurt the girl.

I don't talk to anyone outside of sherdog about mma. I always get people who are either casuals so theyre annoying as hell because they don't know. Or hardcores who don't know other hard cores, so they literally spit out all the facts they know in a row.

Don't lead with how you got tapped out by a 115 lb girl.
Actually... that sounds like a great way to prove how bjj works well, if we're talking about a 5th dan black belt that served in the marines half a decade then it's ok to tell.

Back