Sherdoggers who train MMA: How you you engage in a conversation about MMA w/ those who don’t train?

MMA? lol nah. I train UFC, bud, it's a little different. People are usually pretty impressed when I tell them.

Depends on the person or situation. Bar = STFU and watch the fight ignore ignorance
Ppv w friends = discussion.

The smartest minds in sports are always, and I mean always, those that never professionally played sports.
Bill Belichick, Nick Saban, Mike Kryzewski, Joe Gibbs, Bob Knight, Gregg Popovich, etc, etc, etc

The smartest minds in sports are always non-professional athletes. Professional athletes are required to focus solely on themselves and don't have the mind for thinking outside what's drilled into them.

You can always tell the Sherdoggers that don't follow sports.

you don't need to train mma to have an opinion on the sport. just like you don't need to be a director to have an opinion on movies you see.

I don't hold it against anyone if they don't have a background in martial arts. They can be just as knowledgable about the sport as a fighter and often know more about the stars of the sport in general.

Most of the UFC guys I trained with didn't even watch the sport unless it was someone they knew fighting. They didn't know a lot of other fighters outside their divisions and knew almost nothing about overseas MMA.

They also tend to hold huge biases toward the people they know/train with. They always think their buddies are going to be champs no matter how limited they obviously are. It's why when you get those fighter prediction polls it is basically them just going with the person they know more.

There are some exceptions of course but most fighters are not strategists or tacticians. That's what their coaches/trainers are for.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of shit-for-brains on Sherdog as well. But having a background does not automatically make you more knowledgable about the sport, just better at it.

Be a better ambassador of the sport of mma?
Still on the whole "in five more years mma will be the biggest sport in the world!!"?

The smartest minds in sports are always, and I mean always, those that never professionally played sports.
Bill Belichick, Nick Saban, Mike Kryzewski, Joe Gibbs, Bob Knight, Gregg Popovich, etc, etc, etc

The smartest minds in sports are always non-professional athletes. Professional athletes are required to focus solely on themselves and don't have the mind for thinking outside what's drilled into them.

There's a difference between competing in a sport your whole life, but not being athletic to enough to compete professionally, and just sitting behind a keyboard having never even left a house much less done anything physical like you not only alluded could happen, but that they are actually smarter than the actual guys that spend their lives doing this stuff.

<36>

There's a difference between competing in a sport your whole life, but not being athletic to enough to compete professionally, and just sitting behind a keyboard having never even left a house much less done anything physical like you not only alluded could happen, but that they are actually smarter than the actual guys that spend their lives doing this stuff.

<36>
Buddy. Some of the greatest NFL analysts are book nerds that have never touched a football in their life. There are female NFL analysts right now that are leading the field... There's literally no such thing as female football. And those analysts are figuring out data that is changing the game completely. The sport isn't even the same because of this data and how it's interpreted. Who's drafted where and why, etc.

And this is all just the extreme. Personally, I was always an athletic kind of guy. I played every sport under the sun while in high school and college.
Do I think that because I played basketball while in my teens I should know more than those that haven't played basketball? No, that's moronic and childish.

Buddy. Some of the greatest NFL analysts are book nerds that have never touched a football in their life. There are female NFL analysts right now that are leading the field... There's literally no such thing as female football. And those analysts are figuring out data that is changing the game completely. The sport isn't even the same because of this data and how it's interpreted. Who's drafted where and why, etc.

And this is all just the extreme. Personally, I was always an athletic kind of guy. I played every sport under the sun while in high school and college.
Do I think that because I played basketball while in my teens I should know more than those that haven't played basketball? No, that's moronic and childish.

LMAO!

First of all let's not make irrational statements like "I played every sport under the sun" just because we're on Sherdog.

Second. LMAO! You can't tell me you can learn more from jiu-jitsu dvds then you can rolling on the mat, and you'll never be able to tell me because it's completely impossibly not true. Same for boxing. Same for wrestling. Deal with it.

It's been like this since the 90's.
Welcome to the club.

Our club is a place where no one outside of Sherdog knows about MMA.

LMAO!

First of all let's not make irrational statements like "I played every sport under the sun" just because we're on Sherdog.

Second. LMAO! You can't tell me you can learn more from jiu-jitsu dvds then you can rolling on the mat, and you'll never be able to tell me because it's completely impossibly not true. Same for boxing. Same for wrestling. Deal with it.
You're making the mistake that because of the stance I'm taking I don't actually have experience in martial arts. That's obviously mistake. Especially since we've conversed about judo before on here.

Is it just me that feels like the TS finds it hard to engage in conversations period?

You're making the mistake that because of the stance I'm taking I don't actually have experience in martial arts. That's obviously mistake. Especially since we've conversed about judo before on here.

Oh yeah, aren't you the guy that said gi and no-gi are the same? lmao.

I hope I can compete in as many sports as you when I grow up.

Anyone who has the money for lessons can train martial arts. It sounds like you think its some exclusive club.

Firstly you need to get off your high horse, having a high and mighty attitude with casuals will lead to nothing constructive. Listen to what they're saying, try and evaluate their level of understanding and correct them politely when they're wrong about something. Stray away from discussions about technique unless you're trying to point out why something does or doesn't work in MMA or just stick to MMA related topics that are fun, like coolest kick, choke, leglock or whatever they've seen.

Just come on to sherdog in the forums.. 99% have never trained, fought in a cage or ring, nor on a mat. Yet, seem to think they know everything about the sport, martial arts, those who compete in it, and more then the judges who score the fights. Those of us who have fought, trained, coached, competed, have a 9-5/career within combat sports, etc etc.. get told that we are casuals and don't know what we are talking about, by the avg sherdogger.

This is spot on.

If you think people who train have more insight than coaches and analysts who have never trained... you probably train and have taken a few too many hits to the head.

Most people who train MMA, like most people who play any sport, are of average intelligence and aren't capable of actually understanding things at the highest levels of complexity. There are exceptions of course... but to talk about the special insights that "people who train" (meaning, I'm guessing, taking some BJJ classes or maybe competing at some amateur hour local show) is beyond retarded.

This is basically like saying "i play rec league basketball and I like talking about the NBA, but I was at a bar and this guy who doesn't even play rec league tried talking to me and I just couldn't take him seriously, man" ... how dumb would that sound? That is how you sound.

Last edited:
Back