Sherdoggers who train MMA: How you you engage in a conversation about MMA w/ those who don’t train?

PrideJitZoo

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was at the bar last weekend and was talking to some dudes about the UFC and some fighters and I found it difficult to have an insightful conversation with someone who doesn’t train MMA. It was painful as hell talking to someone who has no idea what they’re talking about. Do you feel the same? Do you think those who don’t train MMA are second rate fans of the sport? Do you think higher of yourself like I do? I wanna be a better ambassador of the sport but I just can’t do it.

Don't lead with how you got tapped out by a 115 lb girl.

just try to converse with them so they can understand. ive been talking to a few casuals about the khabib conor fight

Nevermind MMA training, I'm still hearing , "Did you know Brock is coming back?!"

Casuals. I hate 'em.

I have been training martial arts and Boxing since I was a kid. It is hard speaking to people who don't understand what they are watching. But luckily it's mainly my brother and some friends and they know more than most casuals. I humor them alot though when they try describing positions on the ground.

I always ask noobs 'U train UFC?' to gauge their knowledge.

Just look for 1-2 common mistakes people think and clear them up. Also, don't condescend "you don't know anything", instead say "Considering that I do have experience in MMA, what I've learned up close is...", and go from there.

it's even more painful on sherdog when people have no clue what they're talking about but believe they do

i don't talk to anyone about MMA in the real world, either because they think it's human cockfighting, or most MMA bros are white power felon idiots

I usually open with "I train UFC brah!" and the conversation goes from there.

if I feel they are disrespectful I have to touch'em with teh jab though to establish my alpha dominance

<{Heymansnicker}>
Anything other than getting tapped out by a 115b girl like TS did.

Usually a Quick Kick to start and end the conversation...

38feadf424592d823514d24b2313cada.gif

Filthy Casuals!

I was at the bar last weekend and was talking to some dudes about the UFC and some fighters and I found it difficult to have an insightful conversation with someone who doesn’t train MMA. It was painful as hell talking to someone who has no idea what they’re talking about. Do you feel the same? Do you think those who don’t train MMA are second rate fans of the sport? Do you think higher of yourself like I do? I wanna be a better ambassador of the sport but I just can’t do it.

you should think about things you are clueless about and remind yourself you are not a genius in every area as well (If You Judge a Fish by Its Ability to Climb a Tree, It Will Live Its Whole Life Believing that It is Stupid).

Take a step back. Remember the amount of times you did something stupid (even while training).
Then breathe and try to explain like you would to a kid.
Remember: You might help them like or hate the sport, depending on how they perceive it.

Note: on more than one instance though, I had to shut up and let him keep some view that is completely wrong, but due to their ignorance, it made sense for them...
You need to accept not everyone would understand your view of it...

If I go to the bar or something, I just enjoy the excitement. It's common that I'm smarter than the other people I talk to. I don't hold my knowledge advantage over others against them.

I don't even know any casuals irl anymore

There is no point to even talking to most Sherdogger's about MMA much less people at bars.

I don't train, at least not professionally. But when fighters talk about training, I shut up and listen.

If casuals talk shit I typically walk away. No point arguing with idiots.

Don't think you need to train to understand MMA but it certainly helps.

The best way I've found to explain is just breaking it down technically so they can understand the fundamentals of what's going on.

But I hate doing it lol.......you get those guys just screaming "if that was ME I'd just standup" or "why doesn t he just punch him in the face?".

Back