Sherdoggers who train MMA: How you you engage in a conversation about MMA w/ those who don’t train?

It's like kickboxing, but you also wrestle and apply chokes and limb locks. You can punch the other guy on the ground too

It's generic af but offer ever a quick explanation, get peoples bored with a more complex answer is'nt worth it

Try not being a pompous and self-important and maybe you'll find it's easier to converse with the "uneducated"

What?

What do you train? How do they figure its a joke?

I train Goju, some of the very high end black belts, we have a 9th Dan in our Dojo, the lowest is 4th, MMA fighting is not Martial Arts , they are totally different beasts, MMA is fun to watch, I enjoy it still, I am the youngest at 49.

How do you engage in a conversation about MMA w/ those who don’t train?

Usually start with an uppercut. Followed by some straights with proper shoulder roll.

{<RR}

<Waaah>

I train Goju, some of the very high end black belts, we have a 9th Dan in our Dojo, the lowest is 4th, MMA fighting is not Martial Arts , they are totally different beasts, MMA is fun to watch, I enjoy it still, I am the youngest at 49.

Oh okay.

MMA isn't just fun to watch. Its the most effective way to train if you want to fight in 1 on 1 unarmed combat.

I've completed all the tutorials and skills training on EA Sports UFC 3, so I can engage with any pro fighter and even give them tips and advice if I like them.

If I go to the bar or something, I just enjoy the excitement. It's common that I'm smarter than the other people I talk to. I don't hold my knowledge advantage over others against them.

Then you return to your mom’s basement for ths night, with a smug smile on your face.

I was at the bar last weekend and was talking to some dudes about the UFC and some fighters and I found it difficult to have an insightful conversation with someone who doesn’t train MMA. It was painful as hell talking to someone who has no idea what they’re talking about. Do you feel the same? Do you think those who don’t train MMA are second rate fans of the sport? Do you think higher of yourself like I do? I wanna be a better ambassador of the sport but I just can’t do it.
Are you fucking serious?! Get over yourself dick!

I tell them I train ufc and post on Sherdog and they immediately run into the kitchen and make me a sammich.

It is sort of the same way I feel reading your post. You want us to engage with you, but your knowledge of writing is so limited that it is painful to read. Even so, over 100 posts have been made in response, so maybe show the same patience to your bar friends that Sherdoggers have shown you.

I was at the bar last weekend and was talking to some dudes about the UFC and some fighters and I found it difficult to have an insightful conversation with someone who doesn’t train MMA. It was painful as hell talking to someone who has no idea what they’re talking about. Do you feel the same? Do you think those who don’t train MMA are second rate fans of the sport? Do you think higher of yourself like I do? I wanna be a better ambassador of the sport but I just can’t do it.

Ask them... How much ya bench brah!!

All I know, if I were taking betting advice and my choices were: a guy who trains MMA but only watches a few fights and a math nerd who watches every UFC fight, I'm going with the nerd every time.

Like Anthony Smith, who is fighting Volkan Oezdemir, legitimately seems to have not know who Volkan was. Despite the fact that Volkan fought for the title in his division. O_O

What do you think is, then?

As i have seen our black belt gradings and watched 4-1 sparring matches, i will stick with Goju and try to climb the rankings further. But when our 9th Dan takes on several black belts and they cant seem to touch him, i find that very impressive indeed.

Usually I make sure I am wearing my Affliction T-shirt, watching highlights of obscure fights from DREAM, and using all of the possible jargon I can to make myself look super knowledgeable, all while regurgitating whatever the MMA purists on this site think like it is my own original thought.

you should think about things you are clueless about and remind yourself you are not a genius in every area as well (If You Judge a Fish by Its Ability to Climb a Tree, It Will Live Its Whole Life Believing that It is Stupid).

Take a step back. Remember the amount of times you did something stupid (even while training).
Then breathe and try to explain like you would to a kid.
Remember: You might help them like or hate the sport, depending on how they perceive it.

Note: on more than one instance though, I had to shut up and let him keep some view that is completely wrong, but due to their ignorance, it made sense for them...
You need to accept not everyone would understand your view of it...
Couldn't agree more

You can be an expert in a field and don't have to be a dick about it

Humility goes a long way

Back