Sherdoggers who train MMA: How you you engage in a conversation about MMA w/ those who don’t train?

People who have never been to a jiu jitsu class in their life can potentially know more about MMA than someone that has spent their entire lives training.
Just like how nerds who analyze football data can, and often do, know more about football than those that professionally play the sport.

Actually as a person who actually fights, I have a hard time with those people that only train. It's real hard to talk with them as they think they know what they are talking about. However, when I talk with those that are just fans that don't train, they seem to have a far better attitude and are open to various views. It's just a better conversation. Those that only train kind of suck to talk with.

(Just kidding, I don't fight, but how could I resist.)

Well the first thing you can do don't try come off as some elitist because you train just talk fights on that level you can agree.

just try to converse with them so they can understand. ive been talking to a few casuals about the khabib conor fight

this, and you can extend it to any topic. It's always annoying to listen to people who don't realize how big the knowledge gap is. But if you can learn to talk to them, they can at least walk away with some knowledge. And maybe you'll be more familiar with the "casual" outlook on things afterward.

i don't talk to anyone about MMA in the real world, either because they think it's human cockfighting, or most MMA bros are white power felon idiots

Where do you live dude...

A lot of people from all types of backgrounds and ethnicities are into MMA.

Just look at the UFC roster and from all the places fighters are from. I am certain its more diverse than either the NBA or the NFL. You have martial artists from literally ALL over the world competing.

When stupid ass pure kickboxers say 'wtf why is he not punching him in the face' while DC is attempting to take Rumble down off the cage and similar situations:
you-have-no-power-here.jpg

People who have never been to a jiu jitsu class in their life can potentially know more about MMA than someone that has spent their entire lives training.
Just like how nerds who analyze football data can, and often do, know more about football than those that professionally play the sport.

<36>

The people I train with think MMA and the UFC a total joke, and talking to anybody outside of who I train with about Martial Arts is a waste of time. I would never speak about training when out in a bar, very few people I know actually know I train period, we just dont talk about it. So no, If I am out I only watch the fights and ignore all the talk about it.

I would say that I could beat everyone in your house

The people I train with think MMA and the UFC a total joke, and talking to anybody outside of who I train with about Martial Arts is a waste of time. I would never speak about training when out in a bar, very few people I know actually know I train period, we just dont talk about it. So no, If I am out I only watch the fights and ignore all the talk about it.

What?

What do you train? How do they figure its a joke?

People that train MMA are too sensitive. In every other sport you can just be someone that drinks and watches the game, and you can have good banter with other people that do the same. Nobody asks you how many years you played football or basketball when you are just shooting the shit about the sport, but in MMA, you say something like "that guy leaves his hands down," and then you have to provide your MMA credentials to be worthy of having that opinion.

If you are getting tapped by a 115 lb girl, then you should stop “training.”

I usually start with a high kick to the orbitals

There’s definitely those types of people who no matter what you explain, their causalness wont let them understand. Some guy was telling me that dc is gonna get killed by Brock but rampage would beat them both lol

Also, almost anytime people ask me what type of fighting I do, and I respond with mma, they immediately ask “you do ufc?”

People that train MMA are too sensitive. In every other sport you can just be someone that drinks and watches the game, and you can have good banter with other people that do the same. Nobody asks you how many years you played football or basketball when you are just shooting the shit about the sport, but in MMA, you say something like "that guy leaves his hands down," and then you have to provide your MMA credentials to be worthy of having that opinion.

Its because casual fans of MMA are retarded as shit and pretend to know what they are talking about way more than random people in bars watching football/basketball.

They buy into the hype and have shit opinions and support shit hypetrain fighters like Ronda Rousey, Francis Ngannou or Brock Lesnar.

The type of guys who bought the Ngannou hypetrain and were sure the regular looking white guy was about to get murdered just because Ngannou is jacked and knocks people out with 1 punch.

Back