[serious] Does Helwani have contempt for MMA fans?

Some of the logic that is displayed on these forums makes me extremely concerned for the upcoming generations. The deadbeat dad invasion will be worse than the hippies of the 60's. Going by today's standards of success, most individuals on here are beneath him. Don't like it? Make better life choices.

I think he's the best interviewer in MMA and even among all sports reporters but on the MMA Hour, he constantly belittles MMA fans (from Twitter) calling them dumb, he will repeat the word dumb several times with a look of disgust on his face. He's really not shit talking, his body language doesn't lie, he shakes his head and sigh and repeat the word dumb, he definitely thinks we're beneath him.

I don't know if the reports are true but it's been said by people who attended the fan expo in Boston that he didn't interact with fans, is there any truth to that?

Are MMA fans on Twitter really that dumb or does Helwani just have a big ego?

Both. He's smarter than most fans. He is also more arrogant. But well justified. This is not exactly a think tank, ya know.

Ariel has grown kind of stale, I feel. I used to bash him for his instigating ways, but now I don't really watch his work much, so I guess I was wrong. If you don't have charisma, you probably should foster controversy.

Never listen to his show, it's the same old shit every time. Way better mma podcasts out there now. You got fighter and the Kid, you're welcome, mma roasted, etc. Any one of them does a better job interviewing fighters.

I don't really have an opinion about him, but he's right about MMA having a TON of idiot fans.

He has contempt for stupid people - not MMA fans.

Unfortunately, most MMA fans are stupid. see TS

TS isn't sure if most mma fans are stupid....... Well there you go

The bulk of MMA fans are casual fans who put a premium on the "entertainment" aspects of MMA. The sport has evolved to pander to them.

MMA journalism is an impotent stunted profession which knuckles under to pressure from Zuffa.

Ariel may have more general MMA knowledge than the average fan but he's just like everyone else in that he's complicit in helping keep MMA stagnate as far as rule changes, judging and fighter rights. As a "name" in MMA journalism, he could be pushing to keep the real issues in this sport in the forefront of the fan's minds.

I think he's the best interviewer in MMA and even among all sports reporters but on the MMA Hour, he constantly belittles MMA fans (from Twitter) calling them dumb, he will repeat the word dumb several times with a look of disgust on his face. He's really not shit talking, his body language doesn't lie, he shakes his head and sigh and repeat the word dumb, he definitely thinks we're beneath him.

I don't know if the reports are true but it's been said by people who attended the fan expo in Boston that he didn't interact with fans, is there any truth to that?

Bold comments made me literally spit up very well-crafted coffee. Wtf?

MMA does have one of the most short-sighted and dumbest fanbases, so who can blame him...

Helwani is pretty decent as an interviewer but his knowledge/analysis of mma is mediocre at best. On The MMA Hour he says dumb shit all the time. New York Rick helps balance out some of his stupidity.

Helwani is pretty decent as an interviewer but his knowledge/analysis of mma is mediocre at best. On The MMA Hour he says dumb shit all the time. New York Rick helps balance out some of his stupidity.

So much THIS

I met Ariel in Boston in September of 2010.

I had just given a video interview to MMAAlly, who was acting as a liason for some government service in the U.S. at the time. I spoke about the sanctioning of mixed martial arts in various Canadian provinces (versus the U.S. experience), and recent (in 2010) issues in Ontario and the Canadian Medical Association. They were interested in my perspective as a lawyer with some involvement in the sport.

Immediately after the interview, I saw Ariel walking by in one of his patented table-cloth plaid shirts. I introduced myself and initiated a conversation. During, I asked him some not rude, but pointed questions about his instigating interview style (i.e. What value did he see in apparantly, at times, trying to deliberately place fighters in awkward positions during his interviews, or otherwise "stirring the pot" so to speak? Was this a strategy deliberately designed to distinguish himself from other MMA reporters in a fledgling industry based on sensationalism, etc.), and also his refusal to challenge Dana White on some outright lies he was telling during a recent interview (Regarding Fedor, if I recall correctly - I was asking if he felt he should challenge untruths, so less educated/familiar fans would have a better perspective on different sides of a story, or if the reality was that he needed to steer clear of White's penchant for black-balling people who challenged him).

Although he gave what I felt were candid answers to my questions, I found him to be extremely pretentious and condescending. He would talk for a few moments, then screw his face up and suspiciously ask "Who are you again? Who are you with?"... My impression was that the only reason he gave me the time of day at all was because I was wearing a suit. I could absolutely be wrong, but I did not get a positive vibe from the man, which was interesting because just about everyone else I spoke to was extremely welcoming and gracious.

That was my experience, at any rate.

Last edited:
Its because everyone knows he's a bought and paid for ufc shill yet he still denies it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back