• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Secularism Under Attack: Alabama Senate passes bill allowing church to establish police dept.

Finally, the return of the Knights Templar (redneck edition).

Txt from the bill itself:

Persons employed as police officers pursuant to this section shall be charged with all of the duties and invested with all of the powers of law enforcement officers in this state.
https://legiscan.com/AL/text/SB193/2017

Also, the jurisdiction is just the church campus and property.

It's a bad precedent, imo. Once you grant this church a police department with jurisdiction, how do you deny it to every other religious institution in the state? And that means what? That every church can now be a separate law enforcement jurisdiction directly employed and overseen by a private institution?

It's a bad precedent, imo. Once you grant this church a police department with jurisdiction, how do you deny it to every other religious institution in the state? And that means what? That every church can now be a separate law enforcement jurisdiction directly employed and overseen by a private institution?

And what are the metrics of qualification and training for this "police force"? Who will accredit them? Who will oversee their disciplinary actions?

Not to mention the glaring "what the hell is going on in a church that they would need a police force". The whole thing is laughable and why Alabama is a redneck laughing stock of our country.

A terrible idea.

I agreed with the notion of outlawing the possibility of Shariah law. Then dumb ass redneck bible-thumpers do something just as bad.

They should just leave it a security detail. Not deputize a bible police force.

Don't you think Islamic ghettos will now want their own police force, and leftists would gladly give it to them. Then down the road you can bet they'll abuse their powers and do "shariah" patrols.

So, will this "police force" have the same rights and duties as a normal police force? Will it be able to interact with the state and federal legal system for such things as subpoenas?

Or, is this just a glorified security department that makes for a great secular scare soundbyte? Not much detail in that article you link to.
5tVq2b.gif

And what are the metrics of qualification and training for this "police force"? Who will accredit them? Who will oversee their disciplinary actions?

Not to mention the glaring "what the hell is going on in a church that they would need a police force". The whole thing is laughable and why Alabama is a redneck laughing stock of our country.

Keep in mind, the state that's allowing this also just had their governor resign for impropriety, and they're supposed to be the arbiters for right and wrong in this situation.

Wew lad, you can't make this shit up.

A terrible idea.

I agreed with the notion of outlawing the possibility of Shariah law. Then dumb ass redneck bible-thumpers do something just as bad.

They should just leave it a security detail. Not deputize a bible police force.

Don't you think Islamic ghettos will now want their own police force, and leftists would gladly give it to them. Then down the road you can bet they'll abuse their powers and do "shariah" patrols.

What's to stop the church from buying more buildings, more land, houses in town etc and claiming this new property is an extension of their church. Effectively having "police stations" of their own all over town. Most churches own more than one property and have more than one location under the same parish.

Hopefully it is just a matter of time before the Satanists get their own police force and everyone backpedals.

I like this thread because it has liberals back to shitting on religion. Problem is they seem to have forgotten to shit on all of them.

I want the 90s back when all forms of religion were under attack.

Whelp, I guess I have to agree after all...they're idiots. Legit reporting Falsedawn, apologies for throwing shade. Also, legit research specific to the discussion Panamaican. Thank you.

Im an atheist and imo as long as they are not enforcing religious law i dont have a problem with it. This church has over 2000 students so there is arguably a need. Plenty of private schools have campus police.

Last edited:
I like this thread because it has liberals back to shitting on religion. Problem is they seem to have forgotten to shit on all of them.

I'm starting the Pastafarianism armed Pasta Patrol in repsone to this post.

I mean, only one religion is fucking up here though. They're opening the doors for others to fuck up, but as of now, it's just them.

I don't wanna rag on any religion. I don't think anyone's sky wizard is for me, but if they wanna believe, I let them believe. Now when they start believing that their sky wizard should be the official sky wizard of our secular nation, that's when I feel like we need to slap them around a little.

If this is upheld at the state and federal supreme court levels, the next step beyond this is allowing churches to create their own laws and hold their own courts.

So maybe Islam really is compatible with the United States. I wonder if Republicans will be against this now or when they realize its potential for abuse.

Whelp, I guess I have to agree after all...they're idiots. Legit reporting Falsedawn, apologies for throwing shade. Also, legit research specific to the discussion Panamaican. Thank you.

Is alright bud, you're good people. I can't knock healthy skepticism.

I really can't see this being cost effective for the church. They should just contract with the local law enforcement agency (Birmingham PD maybe?) and pay for a number of off duty officers to work the campus or build and fund a satellite precinct on the campus with an adequate number of officers and supervisors.

I mean, only one religion is fucking up here though. They're opening the doors for others to fuck up, but as of now, it's just them.

I don't wanna rag on any religion. I don't think anyone's sky wizard is for me, but if they wanna believe, I let them believe. Now when they start believing that their sky wizard should be the official sky wizard of our secular nation, that's when I feel like we need to slap them around a little.
Tbf Presbyterians are like retarded Protestants, who are like retarded Catholics- who are fairly retarded themselves.

They could just start a university and then they could have "campus police" which many religious affiliated universities have. Interesting legal questions involved here though and as others have said this would no doubt be a SCOTUS bound issue.

LUPD-2.jpg

Bad idea, but it's not like there aren't other non-government entities that have their own police. It goes back 100+ years, and the laws still exist, but the railroads can and do have their own police forces.

Back