running does not

I ran all last spring, summer and fall but hardly at all this past winter and my conditioning is at it's best point yet. I'm going back to hill sprinting again this spring but more for the fact I have to balance my upper and lower body work to prevent joint problems than because it directly bennfits my mat performance.

Sorry mate thats why I asked

Btw-, looked at your log. Nice start

Might I suggest one thing when doing stand up. RELAX. You seem far far too stiff and your not putting your weight through when you throw, especially a right hand (the back foot locks locked to the ground and the shoulder stays back).

I run distance and do HIIT. I can outlast the guys I roll and spar with. That's good enough for me.

Sorry mate thats why I asked

Btw-, looked at your log. Nice start

Might I suggest one thing when doing stand up. RELAX. You seem far far too stiff and your not putting your weight through when you throw, especially a right hand (the back foot locks locked to the ground and the shoulder stays back).

I've allways battled body tension; add that to the fact this was the first video I ever did to put on the internet and I was quite the stiff board. I think I lost my hip rotation as a result of pulling my punches because thery were hurting my elbow too much. I've corrected that problem with better gloves and tactics but the habit is engrained. Really not a video of me at my best but I thought despite that it would help show a good transition assuming I'm successful in my goal.

I've allways battled body tension; add that to the fact this was the first video I ever did to put on the internet and I was quite the stiff board. I think I lost my hip rotation as a result of pulling my punches because thery were hurting my elbow too much. I've corrected that problem with better gloves and tactics but the habit is engrained. Really not a video of me at my best but I thought despite that it would help show a good transition assuming I'm successful in my goal.

Thats cool

Not trying to make a dig at you

Keep it up

Does not. I welcome all constructive critique. Even unconstructive ones if they're funny enough.

Does not. I welcome all constructive critique. Even unconstructive ones if they're funny enough.

Boxers have been doing their roadwork since the sport started because it gives a great cardio base. If you look at 95% of boxer's training programs, the common denominator is the AM road work. Dempsey ran 6 miles a day, so did Ali, so did Foreman, do did Frazier, so does Mayweather, ad infinitum...

Boxers have been doing their roadwork since the sport started because it gives a great cardio base. If you look at 95% of boxer's training programs, the common denominator is the AM road work. Dempsey ran 6 miles a day, so did Ali, so did Foreman, do did Frazier, so does Mayweather, ad infinitum...

How DARE YOU miss out rocky marciano

rockyknockout.jpg

I agree, they were great despite their massive energy wasting running around like hamsters.
Similarity of a single variable does not equate to cause and effect.

Nearly every professional Thai boxer in Thailand is running at least 6 miles a day too.

I agree, they were great despite their massive energy wasting running around like hamsters.

Now now

It worked for them and gave them the stamina to train long periods of skill and on the bag to improve technique.

Something that allows them to do that is never a waste.

Theres a difference I think a lot of people are forgetting.
Fight cardio and cardio to aid you in skill training.

IMO there is no point in being able to do 5-10 minutes of hard sprinting and then you're done when it comes to skill training. You're there for atleast 2 hours.

Note- I'm not saying this applies to just running

Like I said in another thread, you don't see distance runners doing fight training to prepare for a marathon. It has been argued to death and all the references and stuff are on forums like Ross training that LSD is not the most efficient way to train for the specific task of fighting. From a totally rationale detached standpoint this fact dosen't change despite what someone feels because they have invested a lot of time in running.

Like I said in another thread, you don't see distance runners doing fight training to prepare for a marathon. It has been argued to death and all the references and stuff are on forums like Ross training that LSD is not the most efficient way to train for the specific task of fighting. From a totally rationale detached standpoint this fact dosen't change despite what someone feels because they have invested a lot of time in running.

Fight training doesn't equal skill training

And we are agreed

If anything, boxers in previous generations have better stamina than those of today. 15 round fights arent allowed anymore, let alone 30, 40, and 50 round fights like you saw at the turn of the century.

Is LSD the only effective way to improve conditioning? Of course not, but youre statement about running around like hamsters is beyond ridiculous. From a personal standpoint, my cardio has never been better (for boxing) than when I was consistently running longer distances. That wasnt the only part of my training, but I credit it with a big part of my cardio base.

And with all due respect to Ross (and a lot is due), he's not the end-all, be-all to combat conditioning. He's training one major prospect that I know of, not the hundreds that guys like Jesse Reid and other proponents of long distance running have.

How is it beyond ridiculous when you are spending a ton of training time, and six miles ain't no quick jog there and back, running when there is no running or going slow in the ring?

And fights went 30 rounds back in the 1800's because fighters didn't wear gloves and they only threw a few punches a round. It had absolutely nothing to do with conditioning.

How is it beyond ridiculous when you are spending a ton of training time, and six miles ain't no quick jog there and back, running when there is no running or going slow in the ring?.

1. Its beyond ridiculous with comments like this, "Similarity of a single variable does not equate to cause and effect. " Yeah, maybe in the world of academia, thats true. When you look at thousands of boxers training for fights that last 30-45 minutes of work activity, and doing it effectively with long runs as their cardio staple, that holds more merit in my opinion.

2. You're equating LSD running as just Long Slow Distance, but slow is relative. Its not a sprint, but if you're running sub 6:30 miles for 4-6 miles, the delusion that that will not give you a great cardio base is ridiculous.

And fights went 30 rounds back in the 1800's because fighters didn't wear gloves and they only threw a few punches a round. It had absolutely nothing to do with conditioning.

Sounds like a Mayweather fight. Youre right in some regard, that the style has changed since the 1800's, but you dont have to go back that far to have some marathon bouts. The '20's and 30's all had fights that lasted much longer than the "mere" 12 rounds today. Also, they judged "rounds" as being over when someone hit the ground for a long time. You still had fights lasting hours. Ali, Frazier and the rest all fought 15 round title fights at a much faster pace than anyone in the heavyweight division today.

This guy said it best, in my opinion:

Diversity is an athelete's best friend.

Running helps ANY athelete regardless of sport.

Mix it up:

LSD
Sprints
HIIT
Hills
Bleachers
etc

Marathon winners run a 4:50 mile pace for 26 miles so even if they ran a 6 min pace it is LSD. The pace that allows someone to run six miles almost daily is going to be in the 70% MHR at best.

You are equating the fact that because numerous fighters ran distance and still were in shape that therefore running LSD is good for the specific task of fighting. That's like saying that because the majority of smokers die of diseases other than pulminary that smoking isn't a major cause of death.

Back