running does not

Ummmm they are in this thread man. Page 4

The ones you posted don't compare HIIT vs. LSD. They already state we already know, that LSD burns fat while you do it, whereas HIIT has a preference for CHO. Like I said earlier, the mechanism regarding why HIIT is superior for dropping fat % is unclear at the moment, however the fact that it's superior to LSD in terms of effectiveness per unit time is not.

I'd agree with that. I still think LSD is good for MMA as well, but there is a strength component that is more important in MMA than boxing.

I agree I don't think anoyone area can be neglected.

I think this thread should be simplified simply as work all sorts of conditioning burpees, Sprints, jogging, Work capacity 101, everything...... strongman training (circuit fashion), bears, circuits.

If you neglect one it will surely bite you in the ass.

The highlighted one doesn't need to compare. You think it will somehow change physiology or ****bolic proccess?

Its not unclear. its quite simple really, Tipton and IVy have gone over it before. its simple LSD burns more fat at that moment in time. It helps for 3-4 hours later as well. HIIT helps keep it elevated for 20-24 hours.

If you have studies showing the two versus each other, by all means show it. Until then, science will dictate one side, and I will continue to use both sides.

The highlighted one doesn't need to compare. You think it will somehow change physiology or ****bolic proccess?

Its not unclear. its quite simple really, Tipton and IVy have gone over it before. its simple LSD burns more fat at that moment in time. It helps for 3-4 hours later as well. HIIT helps keep it elevated for 20-24 hours.

If you have studies showing the two versus each other, by all means show it. Until then, science will dictate one side, and I will continue to use both sides.

Sure, here you go:

The impact of two different modes of training on body fatness and skeletal muscle ****bolism was investigated in young adults who were subjected to either a 20-week endurance-training (ET) program (eight men and nine women) or a 15-week high-intensity intermittent-training (HIIT) program (five men and five women). The mean estimated total energy cost of the ET program was 120.4 MJ, whereas the corresponding value for the HIIT program was 57.9 MJ. Despite its lower energy cost, the HIIT program induced a more pronounced reduction in subcutaneous adiposity compared with the ET program. When corrected for the energy cost of training, the decrease in the sum of six subcutaneous skinfolds induced by the HIIT program was ninefold greater than by the ET program. Muscle biopsies obtained in the vastus lateralis before and after training showed that both training programs increased similarly the level of the citric acid cycle enzymatic marker. On the other hand, the activity of muscle glycolytic enzymes was increased by the HIIT program, whereas a decrease was observed following the ET program. The enhancing effect of training on muscle 3-hydroxyacyl coenzyme A dehydrogenase (HADH) enzyme activity, a marker of the activity of beta-oxidation, was significantly greater after the HIIT program. In conclusion, these results reinforce the notion that for a given level of energy expenditure, vigorous exercise favors negative energy and lipid balance to a greater extent than exercise of low to moderate intensity. Moreover, the ****bolic adaptations taking place in the skeletal muscle in response to the HIIT program appear to favor the process of lipid oxidation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8028502

Appears to be well done. However it doesn't mention previously trained etc. I have found previously trained people benefit the most from HIIT.

Its saying they lost more fat. HOWEVER, sprinting is also going to build muscle at a much faster rate than LSD, which will add more muscle, to burn cals in a resting state.So in essemce I would be hoping for that outcome. However in the world we are applying it to neither LSD or HIIT is our sole source of exercise, in the study it was however.

Therefore not attributing muscle gain to fat loss, is really incorrect in itself. It doesn't mention what type of training it. We are all talking running. However most studies are done on recumbent bikes. Big differance in the fight world.

@Vedic:

That's some well-informed stuff you had there. Welcome to Sherdog, and thank you for using actual research over "well this worked/didn't work for me" crud. Did you go to school for sports medicine or exercise science?

No my main course of study is Psychology. Nutrition is my minor and a hobby of mine. I have been training people for a few years now.

Some things work against science, some things never do, science is always changing, as are we.

To be honest I'll put it like this:

LSD allows me to keep my base cardio in check without affecting my other training. When I'm training 5-6 days a week, a hard HIIT means I can't train as hard for a session after. I don't know about other guys, but my cardio gets pushed HARD during fight training.

Running LSD I can train hard after a LSD run, and work on my fight fitness, doing fight training, seem natural? I thought so too.

If a few of you are so worried about wasting energy by doing roadwork, why not just make your sport specific training the first priority of the day, then do roadwork and other non-specific things later with whatever energy you have left? Killing 2 birds w/ 1 stone IMO.

translate at all or at most very very little to combat. I can go full out in the ring or on the mat in training and competition work the bag and pads at top speed all day but when it comes to going for a 1mile run I look and feel like I am about to drop dead.

Wow, I'm the complete opposite. I can run 2 miles no prob...but as soon as I start sparring I'm freakin done after 1 round. Sparring or wrestling...your using so many more muscles and tires my ass out MUCH faster.

translate at all or at most very very little to combat. I can go full out in the ring or on the mat in training and competition work the bag and pads at top speed all day but when it comes to going for a 1mile run I look and feel like I am about to drop dead.

Wow, I'm the complete opposite. I can run 2 miles no prob...but as soon as I start sparring I'm freakin done after 1 round. Sparring or wrestling...your using so many more muscles and tires my ass out MUCH faster.

Fast twitch

Intermediate twitch

Slow twitch

3 Types of muscle fiber you can utilize to your athletic benefit so why not train them all instead of just one range.

I think because I have been kicking and punching my whole life but never really did much running. Musclememory is awonderful thing.

I think, like a lot of posters do that running a descent 1 mile-3 mile pace will enhance just about any sport that requires endurance/cardio. I prefer running on soft sirfaces like grass or dirt to relieve a little if the impact on the joints. I also agree that wrestling or boxing for 5- 10 minutes sessions will not increase your running endurance but running can increase wrestling or boxing endurance. I do some running each week depending on the weather. I can't stand a tread mill. Boredom is the reason I can't stand them things. I've tried having some pumped up tunes on my iPod, watching TV and I still hated it. I can run outside 10 x's as long.

Back