• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social Roseanne tweets outrageously racist comment about former Obama staffer Valerie Jarrett

I would fire an employee who has racist views. For me, the risk that they would spill into the business in some way is too great. Racism, antisemitism, misogyny, homophobia and other beliefs are simply too toxic and like toxic substances should be actively avoided if you want a business to survive. These are the sort of things that I believe there is a clear wrong and right position. There are also a great many more things that reasonable people can disagree on that I would not fire someone for as long as they were not brought into the workplace in a way that reflects badly on my business or creates interpersonal problems.

How would you feel if an employer fired someone for their views on abortion? Or some other hotly contested issue where it is very likely that someone strongly on either side sees it as a clear issue?

Wasn't it confirmed and admitted by Soros that he colluded with nazi's turning in Jews?

Sometimes a poster will give extremely subtle hints that they are stuck in an alt-right media bubble.

Sometimes a poster will just spell it out for you.

People let words have so much power over them. It's funny to sit back and watch. Any of you could call me anything under the sun and I wouldn't be offended. I would laugh actually. You want to know why?
<23>
I said do you want to know why? Because no one to gives two fucks about any of your opinions.

you're a nobody though.. No one gives a shit about you or what you are. Your fat whale of a wife barely acknowledges that you exist. At least that's what she tells me still every time I make my weekly visit.

How would you feel if an employer fired someone for their views on abortion? Or some other hotly contested issue where it is very likely that someone strongly on either side sees it as a clear issue?

There is absolutely no reason for your employer to know your views on abortion.

Also, the economic arguments are bunk as well: broadcast is not zero sum, and new endeavors -- perhaps ones that are not dependent on the hiring of no-talent racists as the starring role -- will take the show's place and provide opportunity to other worthwhile persons. The only true economic loss is borne by ABC.

Also, what the fuck is with openly advocating soulless profit-driven decisionmaking and scorning the 1-in-a-million instance when a corporation knowingly makes a moral decision that is contrary to their short-intermediate-term profit interests? The former is perhaps the primary evil in modern Western civilization, and the latter is the illusory self-corrective phenomenon that we're continually promised will right the ship.

Yeah, one of the really strange and kind of sick things about these debates is the implication that market logic trumps everything else. And it's from all over the spectrum: "The proletariat should stand up and break the chains of oppression--but, I mean, if it hurts their employers' bottom line, that's going too far." "There's a natural hierarchy and some races are meant to be ruled--but, you know, if saying so causes more customers to be turned off than on, it shouldn't be said."

Thought about this a fair bit today, and I can't get behind her losing her show for this. First of all, she has apologized, several times, and I'm sure she means it.

I see your point, for sure, and I think ABC was too harsh, but I also see it as their call. The main questions for me are whether Roseanne is an employee or a partner and whether she's getting blowback for expressing a point of view or for just being an asshole. I don't know a ton about the industry so I could be wrong on the first one, but I think the answer to both questions puts this on the side of this being more of a private matter.

Violations occur on an individual basis and are treated as such. If any employer breaks the law, they are subject to it. If any employer breaks civil decorum, they are subject to civil recourse. If any employer submits themselves to the court of public opinion with stupid but not law-breaking actions, then they get whatever the court of public opinion throws back at them.

Partisan's just hate it when they can't generalize but you should really concentrate on understanding this concept and maybe one day you'll be able to retire that broad brush you keep in your back pocket.

Because you're not looking past your nose about the subject.

"It doesn't bother me, you're all pussies, haw haw!"

I just try to enjoy my life and not judge others for things that I have more than likely done myself. Pretty much everyone I've ever gotten to know on more than a small talk basis has said something racist at some point in time. I'm not going to pretend like I'm shocked or up in arms over trivial shit like that. There is a massive difference in someone making a racist joke or saying something racist in the heat of the moment and someone denying employment or opportunities or even something simple like friendship based on race.

This post isn't making any sense to me.
What do I need to spell out for you? The fact that no one should give a damn what Roseanne says because well....it's fucking Roseanne? What's she going to do, besides talk shit? Words only hurt if you let them.

you're a nobody though.. No one gives a shit about you or what you are. Your fat whale of a wife barely acknowledges that you exist. At least that's what she tells me still every time I make my weekly visit.
*crack!*
Ooh, that ball is loooooong gone!
SaiWa hits a broken seams curve ball into the upper deck.

There is absolutely no reason for your employer to know your views on abortion.

I agree that people shouldn't always feel the need to spout off to everyone about every topic. But what if it's a really important issue to you and you protest clinics or march for abortion rights? I think you should be protected. There are hard cases here, but I'm not comfortable with the idea that only the self-employed should be free to express their political opinions.

Sometimes a poster will give extremely subtle hints that they are stuck in an alt-right media bubble.

Sometimes a poster will just spell it out for you.

Not sure who you're referring too. I frequently hit up leftist and deep state media outlets for research.

And notice how I asked that in question form? I haven't claimed to be an authority on Soros, I just remember seeing a video of him admitting that he participated in confiscation of property from Jews. I assume he did it to survive but who knows.

I just try to enjoy my life and not judge others for things that I have more than likely done myself. Pretty much everyone I've ever gotten to know on more than a small talk basis has said something racist at some point in time. I'm not going to pretend like I'm shocked or up in arms over trivial shit like that. There is a massive difference in someone making a racist joke or saying something racist in the heat of the moment and someone denying employment or opportunities or even something simple like friendship based on race.
Did that mean you don't understand why others take issue with it?
It seemed like another explanation of why you don't take issue with it.

Haha, that first sentence is true. But this is a good example lol. Also, you like fat women? Can you bring some takeout next time? I'm tired of footing the bill for her fat ass.

What do I need to spell out for you? The fact that no one should give a damn what Roseanne says because well....it's fucking Roseanne? What's she going to do, besides talk shit? Words only hurt if you let them.
Gosh, don't let words get to you, cupcake.

Not sure who you're referring too. I frequently hit up leftist and deep state media outlets for research.

And notice how I asked that in question form? I haven't claimed to be an authority on Soros, I just remember seeing a video of him admitting that he participated in confiscation of property from Jews. I assume he did it to survive but who knows.

Is that where you get all your North Korea facts?

<Dany07>

Rogan will sympathize with her because he's referred to black people as apes before. And he's also a comedian so he thinks being a racist pos is fine if you claim it's just a joke.

I stopped giving any respect to Rogan many years ago and only watched his show once or twice for Joey Diaz.
Joey has referred to blacks as apes as well.

Somebody in SaiWa's corner needs to throw in the white towel! Ref is gonna DQ him for projection if someone doesn't save him.

Is that where you get all your North Korea facts?

<Dany07>

You're so disingenuous you even pretend to laugh. How shallow.

Why would anything I say about NK Korea be funny? I've consistently been bang on with everything I say about the situation.

Back