• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social Roseanne tweets outrageously racist comment about former Obama staffer Valerie Jarrett

You're so disingenuous you even pretend to laugh. How shallow.

Why would anything I say about NK Korea be funny? I've consistently been bang on with everything I say about the situation.
<SelenaWow>

Did that mean you don't understand why others take issue with it?
It seemed like another explanation of why you don't take issue with it.

People turn into hypocrites and act outraged when they're in a public forum because they try to project the best version of themselves to the world even if it's a complete facade.

I love hearing white people jokes. Pryor didn't say them out of hatred.

That's a big part of the point. Roseanne compared a black woman we know she personally despises and believes to be evil, with an ape.

Had she said the same thing about Wanda Sykes, one of her friends and writers, in a good-natured back and forth over Twitter, I would have had an entirely different reaction to it.

But I think Roseanne knows you don't "go there" with your black friends. Even a fellow comedian. That's part of what makes what she said about Jarrett so vile. Her objective was to belittle and abuse another human being.

I just saw the lady Roseanne said that about. She has lighter skin than I do. Funny, it's the whiteness of her skin that really dies make her look like a planet of the apes character. They had white faces. She looks (really does) like an original POTA character because her face IS WHITE lol. Is she a Muslim? Too lazy to Google.
She isn't Muslim. Only reason Roseanne implied she is Muslim is because Jarret lived in Iran.

Roseanne goes on to insinuate Jarret has Muslim Brotherhood sympathies, which doesn't make sense in light of implying Jarret has Islamic background from living in Iran cause MB is Sunni and Iran is Shia.

I agree that people shouldn't always feel the need to spout off to everyone about every topic. But what if it's a really important issue to you and you protest clinics or march for abortion rights? I think you should be protected. There are hard cases here, but I'm not comfortable with the idea that only the self-employed should be free to express their political opinions.

I agree, I was just saying that there are topics that do not belong at work. There are also opinions that an employer should be able to decide do not belong on social media. You represent your company, and you become a liability. There are also ideologies that inhibit your ability to do your job.

For example, if you are a teacher and post racist things on Facebook, you should be fired. If you are a judge and share your racist views, you should lose your right to be a judge.

There is absolutely no reason for your employer to know your views on abortion.

Agreed. But in the day and age of social media, it also isn't unlikely that such could happen, so it remains a question that needs answered.

No job-loving accountability-endorsing conservatives in this thread have any problem with Roseanne causing the loss of 30-50 co-workers jobs because she went on a pill popping 2am twitter rant? Nobody cares that Roseanne is so selfish that she threw the entire cast and crew into the unemployment line so she could be crass on twitter?

That's why Roseanne is a piece of shit, not because she says things an asshole would say, but because she says them publicly in a way that will get everyone around her shit-canned. There are assholes everywhere but usually their shitty decisions only affect themselves. Roseanne is one asshole who caused a ton of pain all around her because of her shitty decision.

Agreed. But in the day and age of social media, it also isn't unlikely that such could happen, so it remains a question that needs answered.

If you are spouting your controversial views on public social media accounts in 2018 you're a dumb.

That's a big part of the point. Roseanne compared a black woman we know she personally despises and believes to be evil, with an ape.

Had she said the same thing about Wanda Sykes, one of her friends and writers, in a good-natured back and forth over Twitter, I would have had an entirely different reaction to it.

But I think Roseanne knows you don't "go there" with your black friends. Even a fellow comedian. That's part of what makes what she said about Jarrett so vile. Her objective was to belittle and abuse another human being.
It's why it's objectionable and inflammatory.
I think black and white comedians do joke at each other - backstage and in poker games and whatnot. But take it public, the consequences are beyond your control.

Answered above. Political views should be protected, to an extent. Abortion rights fall under that category to me. There are also ideologies that should result in you losing your job, depending on your position.

Violations occur on an individual basis and are treated as such. If any employer breaks the law, they are subject to it. If any employer breaks civil decorum, they are subject to civil recourse. If any employer submits themselves to the court of public opinion with stupid but not law-breaking actions, then they get whatever the court of public opinion throws back at them.

Partisan's just hate it when they can't generalize but you should really concentrate on understanding this concept and maybe one day you'll be able to retire that broad brush you keep in your back pocket.
I'm not approaching this from a partisan standpoint at all. I have no problem with NFL players not being allowed to politically protest in uniform or with Roseann Barr having her show unceremoniously canceled.

But you are saying you've got no trouble firing employees who don't have a high profile for their political views. I'm asking where does that end?

I don't know what socio-economic level you ascribe to but I don't know any professionals that share any personal opinions on Facebook. Everyone around me where I work and everyone around my brother where he works have social media pages that are completely devoid of opinion and only show family/vacation photos. Some of us have wives that share opinions, but they aren't employed at the level we are.

Literally nobody I know shares their opinions on Facebook, that sort of activity is reserved for people who are still dumb/deluded enough to think they have an important enough opinion that it simply has to be shared with the world.

No job-loving accountability-endorsing conservatives in this thread have any problem with Roseanne causing the loss of 30-50 co-workers jobs because she went on a pill popping 2am twitter rant?

You're not hearing any outrage on that front, just like you didn't hear any praise for her job creating abilities when the show got brought back.

Quit digging for things to be upset about.

If you are spouting your controversial views on public social media accounts in 2018 you're a dumb.
1. What if you are spouting them anonymously on a karate forum and then get doxxed by CNN?
2. So basically, we let corporations decide what is acceptable discourse for anyone who wants a decent job?
3. I think there are some classes of high profile people who will always be likely to be called to account for dumb things they say. Celebrities, public officials, etc. I'm not talking about Kaepernick or Barr, but the average Joe.

You're not hearing any outrage on that front, just like you didn't hear any praise for her job creating abilities when the show got brought back.

Quit digging for things to be upset about.

I assure you, every other business owner on the planet's first thoughts were "That's a damn shame for the people who worked around her"

If you ever are trusted with the responsibility of the livelihoods of people you care about, you might experience empathy one day. My inclination is your lack of it would also preclude anyone from ever trusting you with anything important.

Answered above. Political views should be protected, to an extent. Abortion rights fall under that category to me. There are also ideologies that should result in you losing your job, depending on your position.
Five or so years ago, an RN at my hospital left her Twitter open and there was a go back to whatever racist rant on it, and a few people saw it.
She hurriedly deleted it, but too late. She was told she could be a nurse somewhere else.

Sometimes it shocks me how dumb people can get.

On the other side of the above, another guy had to go to racism sensitivity training because he walked into the break room, saw a black co-worker there and exclaimed, "You look just like a monkey eating that banana!"

Thing is, he didn't intend to be racist which is why he kept his job.

What about communism as an ideology? Killed 100 million people in the 20th century. And to make it easier, let's ignore various flavors of kinder, gentler communism. Should you be able to fire someone for being a Stalinist? Serious question, given that it was a matter of vigorous debate fifty years ago. I'd like to see how far views have shifted.

Back