Rogan on GSP's money per fight: WOW!!!

all that money yet still can't finish a fight

GSP sells 1 million PPVs. Makes $5million

Mayweather sells 1 million PPVs. Makes $40million

Rousey sells 350k PPVs. Makes $1million.

Alvarez sells 350k PPV's. Makes $8million

All others boxers make nilch..the sport of boxing suffers.

UFC is a budding business, it will get there. Michael Jordan made $3-4million a year.

GSP doesn't represent fighter pay in general. He was one of not the most lucrative fighter.

Though I understand your point, I don't think it fairs well.

Mayweather isn't running an international organization which is still working to grow the sport in different markets. He simply is promoting his single fight every 8 months and taking in the profit.

The Alverez/Rousey statement could be more accurate but we can't be sure. Bellator could be overspending on their talent and be making the same mistake past orgs made before being bought out/bankrupt. We just don't know how much money Viacom is investing in Bellator.

Financial statements are crucial to making an objective and reasonable decision on fair pay. The problem is we don't have that and until we do, all we can do is speculate.

GSP isn't drawing Mayweather numbers. Also, Mayweather can draw those numbers fighting my grandma with my grandpa fighting on the undercard. There's no comparison.

GSP sells more like 400K-500K Mayweather sells more like 2.5-3 million. Mayweather PPVs are $70 UFC is $50.

Are people really still trying to compare Mayweather Promotions, a company, with a single fighter working for the UFC? I thought that had been explained enough already.

Alvarez made 1.25 million in his last fight plus revenue which probably came out to 2 million at most. Stop making up numbers.

Are people really still trying to compare Mayweather Promotions, a company, with a single fighter working for the UFC? I thought that had been explained enough already.

Thank you sir. People loose the point of these threads immediately.... :/

90% of my concern over fighter pay is with the fighters in the bottom 80% of the pay scale. I'd like some system set up where a bare minimum take home (say $36k) is established for all fighters willing to fight at least twice a year. I think that would go a long way.

90% of my concern over fighter pay is with the fighters in the bottom 80% of the pay scale. I'd like some system set up where a bare minimum take home (say $36k) is established for all fighters willing to fight at least twice a year. I think that would go a long way.

If they took away all the bonuses including a win bonus, POTN bonuses and other locker room bonuses they probably could afford that. But is that really better?

If they took away all the bonuses including a win bonus, POTN bonuses and other locker room bonuses they probably could afford that. But is that really better?

I seriously doubt that they wouldn't be able to afford it right now. It only seems reasonable to me that fighters going on TV/fightpass twice a year with the UFC make at least $36,000 a year. That's actually a very modest amount really. It only gives them a middle class lifestyle and that's it. I don't think it's asking for too much.

$5.00 dollars is not that much.

Using $ and 'dollars' is redundant. Fix yourself before correcting someone. Your lack of education is showing.

In much of Europe (maybe all? ) periods are used instead of commas in numbers, so ts wasn't wrong. You're just ignorant.

eoFHLM5.jpg

Alvarez made 1.25 million in his last fight plus revenue which probably came out to 2 million at most. Stop making up numbers.

Good to know. He definitely wouldn't make that in his first year or more in the ufc. He probably never would, honestly.

Say what you will about Brock he did put asses in the seats.

oh, that he did...his fans were brutal :D

not at all surprised to find out what GSP earns per fight.

my only questions is whether all the revenue is FOR that fight, or are they reporting his annual income on a per-fight basis (i.e. if Gatorade is paying him 2 mil/year, and he fights twice, are they including a mil "per fight"?)

regardless...GSP is doing just fine lol. Even Schuab said he is doing well, better than many NFL players, so that should tell people that even the 'decent' MMA fighters are doing ok.

I completely agree with a point Rogan started to make about Floyd being a great promoter. The reality is that the VAST majority of MMA fighters are TERRIBLE at promoting themselves outside of what the UFC provides for them.

Look at guys like Nick Diaz. People can s**t all over him as much as they want, it is INDISPUTABLE that he is a good self-promoter. He quite literally created that fight with GSP. He talked smack, got GSP to buy-in big time, and then CAME OFF A LOSS to challenge for the belt.

Sonnen is another brilliant example. Even look at guys like McGregor. Seriously...should ANYONE be talking about McGregor at this point in his career? He has done NOTHING to deserve the attention he gets...but damn, good on him for being in these convos, right?

In another article, Rory's manager estimated that HALF his income came from outside sources.

With UFC going global, fighters (especially foreign fighters) have huge opportunities to become stars. There are HUUUUUUGE markets in Mexico, South America, Asia, etc. that can mean big $$$ for fighters. There is a reason a lot of guys fought in Pride instead of UFC in the golden era of Pride...

I seriously doubt that they wouldn't be able to afford it right now. It only seems reasonable to me that fighters going on TV/fightpass twice a year with the UFC make at least $36,000 a year. That's actually a very modest amount really. It only gives them a middle class lifestyle and that's it. I don't think it's asking for too much.

Sorry I thought you were saying their base should be a min of 36k, not what they should make over 2 fights in a single year.

In that case we only need to pay them a base of 18k...without any win bonus that's very doable

I knew that of course fighters earn more than the public numbers of course. Also knew that fighters with big names earned a lot. But according to Joe Rogan GSP earns/earned 5.000.000 $ per fight???

That's cray!
(Fuck off with the "other sports" comments. They all get addressed in this clip)

16:00 and onwards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrbfnT5-QbU

First of all, YOU STFU with the "fuck off" comment.

Second of all, $5million per fight is CHUMP CHANGE for a top level fighter like GSP, one of the most dominant fighters the sport has ever seen.

There are MANY boxers who make $5 million or more per fight who are not nearly as dominant as GSP in their respective sport.

MMA fans are so used to seeing fighters getting underpaid that some would go nuts over $5 million... LOL!

Back