Rogan on GSP's money per fight: WOW!!!

Yup. Especially in Toronto.

Toronto is a very multicultural city (probably the most in North America)

Numerous reputable sources list is as the most multicultural city in the world.

And yes Torontonians love the Swedes. They're great hockey players

Numerous reputable sources list is as the most multicultural city in the world.

And yes Torontonians love the Swedes. They're great hockey players

It is! And it also has the most different languages spoken.

First of all, YOU STFU with the "fuck off" comment.

Second of all, $5million per fight is CHUMP CHANGE for a top level fighter like GSP, one of the most dominant fighters the sport has ever seen.

There are MANY boxers who make $5 million or more per fight who are not nearly as dominant as GSP in their respective sport.

MMA fans are so used to seeing fighters getting underpaid that some would go nuts over $5 million... LOL!

Name them!

First of all, YOU STFU with the "fuck off" comment.

Second of all, $5million per fight is CHUMP CHANGE for a top level fighter like GSP, one of the most dominant fighters the sport has ever seen.

There are MANY boxers who make $5 million or more per fight who are not nearly as dominant as GSP in their respective sport.

MMA fans are so used to seeing fighters getting underpaid that some would go nuts over $5 million... LOL!

Who are these "MANY" boxers who make $5 million per fight? Common misconception. There is a very small number of guys at the top of the sport that make big money. The other 99% of boxers barely make anything. Of course I would like MMA fighters to make more money. But for being such a young sport, fighter pay in MMA is quite comparable to its boxing counterparts.

I don't get how people see a number and make a snap judgement. Does GSP make a lot of money? yes.

Is it fair in relation to his drawing power and the amount of money GSP makes off of hum when he fights? Probaly not.

One more think I will mention that you hear a lot from the UFC is that they are expanding globally and that costs money etc. Essentially they are taking fighters pay to promote the UFC brand globally as a justification for low fighter pay. This is of no help to fighters in this era and only fattens the UFC pockets in the long run.

GSP sells 1 million PPVs. Makes $5million

Mayweather sells 1 million PPVs. Makes $40million

Rousey sells 350k PPVs. Makes $1million.

Alvarez sells 350k PPV's. Makes $8million

Eh, where are you getting those retarded numbers on Alvarez?

I guess you are right about being a white, muscular dude. Because it's obvious that your comparison above to justify Anderson doing good numbers is skewed considering......
07/06/2013 UFC 162 Silva vs Weidman 550,000

Looks like people bought 168 to watch the white, muscular guy beat Anderson again.

/sarcasm

y its not like anderson has a really interesting style for the public in general

11/16/2013 UFC 167 GSP vs Hendricks 630,000
12/28/2013 UFC 168 Weidman vs Silva II 1,025,000

Anyhow, GSP only sells because he's white, Canadian, and has lots of muscles.

If he were black or Brazilian, he wouldn't sell more than 300k with his boring fight style.

#trufax

What's your excuse for Mayweather then you ignorant fuck?

God damn you stupid ass people make me sick sometimes with this "because he's white" shit.

GSP had an entire (and very large) nation behind him for support. On top of being a phenomenal fighter, its no surprise he was PPV king but it didn't have a fucking thing to do with skin color.

11/16/2013 UFC 167 GSP vs Hendricks 630,000
12/28/2013 UFC 168 Weidman vs Silva II 1,025,000

Anyhow, GSP only sells because he's white, Canadian, and has lots of muscles.

If he were black or Brazilian, he wouldn't sell more than 300k with his boring fight style.

#trufax

You mean like Rashad? Rashad sells well.

Speaking English and having memorable feuds goes a long way too.

What's your excuse for Mayweather then you ignorant fuck?

God damn you stupid ass people make me sick sometimes with this "because he's white" shit.

GSP had an entire (and very large) nation behind him for support. On top of being a phenomenal fighter, its no surprise he was PPV king but it didn't have a fucking thing to do with skin color.

Owned.

Not to mention the live gate for a Mayweather fight is in the $20 million range, the live gate for a GSP headlining CARD with 10 other fights on it and probably several other big name fighters is $3 to $5 million.

People really seem to have no clue how this works when comparing Boxing to MMA.

Wonder what Anderson got??

he probably made just as much in his fights against Sonnen, Vitor, Weidman(2) as well as his fights in Brazil

unfortunately, that wasn't that many fights compared to his entire career

GSP sells more like 400K-500K Mayweather sells more like 2.5-3 million. Mayweather PPVs are $70 UFC is $50.

The PPV record, which Mayweather did set, is only 2.5 millionish. He averages in the low-mid millions. Wouldn't really care, but a million buys is kind of important to the tone of your argument. Overall I don't think anyone would dispute that Mayweather is a bigger draw than most of the UFC roster put together. Maybe all of it.

Probably makes around 8 or 9 million with sponsors per fight.

Simple solution. Give the fighters on the roster at least a 45% revenue split like the real sports do. Stop treating the fighters like slaves because they're not unionized. Show some respect to the talent/attraction that you are sponging off of to eat your meals and make your money. Problem solved.

And people wonder why unions are formed....

One of the biggest misconceptions about fighter pay is that in order for the the top fighters to make more, that lower tier fighters need to be making 8/8.

This is simply not true. The only people that need to make less are the owners/execs in order for ALL fighters to be paid more. We already know that the owners (maybe excluding flash entertainment) have seen a HUGE return on their investment. There is no reason for a 3-7% revenue split any longer. The owners can still make money hand over fist while paying the talent what they deserve for competing at the top level of the sport.

Last edited:
I think the UFC should pay fighter's more.

But is the UFC that successful that it can dish out that much more money? I think a minimum 25% increase is salary is necessary.

But I remember pride dished out some big paychecks and they went defunct.

In combat sports there will always be guys who make nothing. Hell in ESPN boxing fights some guys only get paid a few hundred to be on the card.

Even with all this I think the UFC can dish out a lot more money. However I dont think the UFC is as successfully as we are lead to believe. Pride in its prime was huge and they went under. MMA is not that lucrative yet. It takes time.

Remember even in the 70s according to Herman Edwards most NFL guys had a second job. Today I doubt other then the practice squad guys most guys work other jobs during the off season. And I am sure the NFL was bigger in the 70s then the UFC is today.

I think the UFC should pay fighter's more.

But is the UFC that successful that it can dish out that much more money? I think a minimum 25% increase is salary is necessary.

But I remember pride dished out some big paychecks and they went defunct.

In combat sports there will always be guys who make nothing. Hell in ESPN boxing fights some guys only get paid a few hundred to be on the card.

Even with all this I think the UFC can dish out a lot more money. However I dont think the UFC is as successfully as we are lead to believe. Pride in its prime was huge and they went under. MMA is not that lucrative yet. It takes time.

Remember even in the 70s according to Herman Edwards most NFL guys had a second job. Today I doubt other then the practice squad guys most guys work other jobs during the off season. And I am sure the NFL was bigger in the 70s then the UFC is today.

Great post. Your spot on.

There still arent enough people in the world who know what MMA is yet. There are people I have met, who know of GSP, and know he "fights / wrestles etc", but they dont know the sport is MMA.

That definitely effects sales and what not.

Boxer pay will always be higher because it's a more internationally renowned sport. You don't have to be top dog in boxing to be a millionaire. And you don't have to be a millionaire to make a good living -- lotta boxers grind out their standard of living on the Vegas circuit, on T.V. undercards, and eventually as trainers. That said, boxing more or less follows the same mode of thinking MMA does which is that the majority of fighters are making peanuts.

Back