Rogan on GSP's money per fight: WOW!!!

I assume GSP was getting $3 Per PPV buy combined with his endorsements to get to 5 Million. Plus he probably gets a portion of the gate whenever he fights in Canada.

That $5,000,000 is what UFC pays GSP. He also has endorsements on top of that. Many fighters make 7 figures a fight and even more make 7 figures a year. Just about anyone with a PPV cut will break the 7 figure a year mark and many will break it in one fight.

I think the UFC should pay fighter's more.

But is the UFC that successful that it can dish out that much more money? I think a minimum 25% increase is salary is necessary.

But I remember pride dished out some big paychecks and they went defunct.

In combat sports there will always be guys who make nothing. Hell in ESPN boxing fights some guys only get paid a few hundred to be on the card.

Even with all this I think the UFC can dish out a lot more money. However I dont think the UFC is as successfully as we are lead to believe. Pride in its prime was huge and they went under. MMA is not that lucrative yet. It takes time.

Remember even in the 70s according to Herman Edwards most NFL guys had a second job. Today I doubt other then the practice squad guys most guys work other jobs during the off season. And I am sure the NFL was bigger in the 70s then the UFC is today.
Since the start of TUF UFC's minimum contract has increased 300%.

When guys were making 2/2 people said only if they made 5/5 it would be livable. Then when they made 5/5 they said only if they made 8/8. Now they make and people say only if the made 12/12... It doesn't matter if they made 15/15 to a certain group of vocal haters it will never be enough.

No MMA or in the history of MMA pays fighters as much as UFC pays fighters.

UFC also has a future plan for the survival of their brand and the overall good of the sport. UFC has fought hard to help brimg MMA to new regions and countries and they reinvest a lot in infrastructure for what turns out to be the betterment of the sport. Even though they are of course driven by growing their brand the growth of the sport is a happy side effect.

11/16/2013 UFC 167 GSP vs Hendricks 630,000
12/28/2013 UFC 168 Weidman vs Silva II 1,025,000

Anyhow, GSP only sells because he's white, Canadian, and has lots of muscles.

If he were black or Brazilian, he wouldn't sell more than 300k with his boring fight style.

#trufax

He said he didn't sell any until the chael fights. Weidman happened after that. Try and keep up.

how do some people still not realize what ppv points are?

GSP sells 1 million PPVs. Makes $5million

Mayweather sells 1 million PPVs. Makes $40million

Rousey sells 350k PPVs. Makes $1million.

Alvarez sells 350k PPV's. Makes $8million

Wish we had numbers for how much boxing promoters make vs. the UFC.

Wish we had numbers for how much boxing promoters make vs. the UFC.

well that's the key point

mayweather and all his associated promoters need at least 1 million buys per fight to break even

APPARENTLY the maidana fight only did 800k buys - crazy numbers - so they would of lost money on that

goldenboy have gone on record saying they're losing money on canelo's PPV's as well but in his case it's an investment for the future, they're hoping his buyrates increase every fight to the point that they can make money from him

UFC on the other hand...their break even point for an event is 180k buys

puts things into perspective when it comes to promotion, production and hosting costs

how much does dana and the owners make per fight?

When guys were making 2/2 people said only if they made 5/5 it would be livable. Then when they made 5/5 they said only if they made 8/8. Now they make and people say only if the made 12/12... It doesn't matter if they made 15/15 to a certain group of vocal haters it will never be enough.

UFC also has a future plan for the survival of their brand and the overall good of the sport. UFC has fought hard to help brimg MMA to new regions and countries and they reinvest a lot in infrastructure for what turns out to be the betterment of the sport. Even though they are of course driven by growing their brand the growth of the sport is a happy side effect.

I think the UFC wants to survive as the primer MMA league in the world. Which I think it is the only way we will get the best possible fights.

Obviously the UFC has given fighters more money then they ever thought. Considering that maybe 10 years ago making a living as a professional fighter was probably impossible. I read Minotauro had to sleep in gyms because he couldn't afford hotels some times.

Today I am sure Mintotauro can afford a nice hotel.

I dont think MMA as a sport is that lucrative yet. It is not the fastest growing sport. But I do think it is up there. And I think the UFC's model is built to last.

Pride gave out huge paychecks even to guys like Bob Sapp and they went defunct. Strikeforce tried everything they could to stay alive but they couldn't do it. Elite XC Affliction and many others.

Fighters deserve more pay but in the fight game that usually means you have to fight more thus take more damage. And not every fighter is a draw.

I follow MMA but I can't name you some of the up and coming guys other then Khabib. I think the UFC can fix fighter's pay by promoting the future guys more because honestly I usually only buy 3 or 4 cards per year. Before I use to watch all the fights each year.

I also have a feeling just feeling that the UFC is not as lucrative as it appears to be.

Alvarez was trying to sign with the UFC, going so far to go to court against Bellator for it.

Do you think he was doing that for less money?

Canelo Alvarez guys, not Eddie. Lmao, no way in hell Eddie is making that kind of money per fight

Yup.

There literally is no amount that the UFC could pay that would end the complaints. The complaining group simply would demand 'more' and 'more' is an unending amount.

The UFC has lead not just fighter pay but also benefits. No org has been more instrumental to the growth of the sport in foreign markets and the fact that so many people now can make a living off MMA whether they be a gym owner, a trainer or other. The fact that guys like Rory Mac can grow up now only knowing MMA as a career is largely due to the UFC efforts and the amount of money they have poured into developing other markets.

The fighter to Dana white split is definitely bullshit in the UFC. I remember reading that one UFC card sold around 1mil PPVs and the fighter payout was only like 850k TOTAL. Even if theyre giving out another 1 or 2 in "locker room" bonuses the split is still ridiculous.

Unfortunately the UFC has all of their fighters not named Anderson Silva or GSP by the balls and theres nothing their fighters can really do about it.

The fighter to Dana white split is definitely bullshit in the UFC. I remember reading that one UFC card sold around 1mil PPVs and the fighter payout was only like 850k TOTAL. Even if theyre giving out another 1 or 2 in "locker room" bonuses the split is still ridiculous.

Unfortunately the UFC has all of their fighters not named Anderson Silva or GSP by the balls and theres nothing their fighters can really do about it.

I think Dana can give fighters more. But I am sure those 1mil PPV cards do include a Silva or a GSP. Probably a jones as well.

I knew that of course fighters earn more than the public numbers of course. Also knew that fighters with big names earned a lot. But according to Joe Rogan GSP earns/earned 5.000.000 $ per fight???

That's cray!
(Fuck off with the "other sports" comments. They all get addressed in this clip)

16:00 and onwards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrbfnT5-QbU

Wow...thanks for posting this.

Back