Rogan might be drinking Eddie's cool aid too much???

Oh Shit, here we go with the black vs white athlete crap again. Right cause all blacks are athletes and all whites are not. Give me a break thats why most "whites" dominate the ground game. Aside from Terere and Jacare, most of the top BJJ players are white or mixed white/indian.

Sorry to say but obviously Roger Gracie is super athletic.

huh what?

dude, watch this match

Gerry Abas is one of the best wrestlers I've had the good fortune to watch wrestle in person, my good friend competed against him numerous times and they actually had some pretty great matches.

Abas is FAR from what you would consider a natural athlete, especially when we were in hs. he's tall, lean, and it looked like he never touched a weight in the gym (at the time)

.... BUT his technique is incredible, and wrestling knowledge and grappling intelligence is what makes him an awesome wrestler.

same thing with 3x CA state champ Jimmy Aquirre.

I wrestled at the same tournament as Gerry and Stephen. Absolutely f-gging amazing.

My coach: Watch this kid, he's a stud.
Me: Okay, what am I looking for?
Him: He'll take him down in 3 seconds.
Me: *watching* holy crap.

He proceeded to take down and release his opponent. I started adopting this strategy shortly after with gumby like guys who just don't get pinned or near falled easily.

Who did you Wrestle for Fourfif?

edit: incredible ending, haven't watched that in awhile, thanks.

Last edited:
Oh Shit, here we go with the black vs white athlete crap again. Right cause all blacks are athletes and all whites are not. Give me a break thats why most "whites" dominate the ground game. Aside from Terere and Jacare, most of the top BJJ players are white or mixed white/indian.

Sorry to say but obviously Roger Gracie is super athletic.

What the hell did he say about black and white people?

I wrestled at the same tournament as Gerry and Stephen. Absolutely f-gging amazing.

He proceeded to take down and release his opponent. I started adopting this strategy shortly after with gumby like guys who just don't get pinned or near falled easily.

edit: incredible ending, haven't watched that in awhile, thanks.

so city, our rival school was oceana. we were ranked top 10 in the state at one point around that time.

and hell yeah, gerry was amaaazing to watch. slick as hell, his game flowed soooo smooth, and always won with technique.

What the hell did he say about black and white people?

Uh? He inferred it when he listed the guys who he thinks are athletes and which ones he did not think were athletes. When he said Jacare was an "obvious" athlete and Roger Gracie and Maia were not. What do YOU THINK he mean't in this post.

"I think its changing, but Roger and maia are a living proves that you can still make it in bjj based on superior technique and smartness.... jacare is one hell of an athlete, arona was one, but Roger and Damian are not they type of guys that you walk around the gym and say... damm that's one hell of an "athlete"... "

I know what I think he mean't especially putting athlete in parenthesis BUT I could be wrong and reading into it wrong. If i was i apologize.

Uh? He inferred it when he listed the guys who he thinks are athletes and which ones he did not think were athletes. When he said Jacare was an "obvious" athlete and Roger Gracie and Maia were not. What do YOU THINK he mean't in this post.

"I think its changing, but Roger and maia are a living proves that you can still make it in bjj based on superior technique and smartness.... jacare is one hell of an athlete, arona was one, but Roger and Damian are not they type of guys that you walk around the gym and say... damm that's one hell of an "athlete"... "

I know what I think he mean't especially putting athlete in parenthesis BUT I could be wrong and reading into it wrong. If i was i apologize.

um... I kind of read that into his message as well,

...but since I couldn't be sure I chose to focus on all the other wrong shit he was saying.

no offense bjj rage. just sayin'

Even if he doesn't do a strength and conditioning program, he's an athlete. If Galvao and Jacare are your standards for what athletic means, then very few people are athletic period.

well things are relative aren't they? Athletic compared to your run of the mill guy? Or athletic compared to other indivisuals that are in the top of combat sports? A basketball player can be athletic for you and i and won't even be anything special in the NBA/NFL/ect... But that's not what we are talking about, we are comparing him to other mma/combat sports fighters. at least i was.

I thought both guys were Brazilian but you call them white...

well, I think there is a undeniable fact, bjj guys who are not very athletic are still making it, BIG in bjj competitions and MMA... you just cant make it in wrestling with technique alone, that's probably because everyone is at the same technical level (probably) so strength and athleticism and conditioning is what makes the difference... at bjj (while there are some freak natural athletes now) we have a demi God call Roger gracie who had probably not once in his life lift a weight... he wins based on pure technique (his height does helps him though)... there is a reason why most wrestlers in MMA tend to be the strong guy on top beating the shit out of the guy on the bottom... yes wrestling is a technical sport too.. not saying is not, just not as much as bjj... hell, adcc and mundials have absolute class... marcelo garcia beat ricco, I dont really think there is a shot in a wrestling competition for a guy 100 pounds lighter to beat the heavier guy...

I think you have not been around the sport long enough.

I have seen pictures of Roger doing conditioning work for ADCC under Renzo, I am pretty sure he does that stuff all the time.

You go and compete at the highest level of BJJ with just pure techniques and see how it works for you.

They are all freaking top athletes. the only difference is the time limit in the IBJJF when they know that they have to fight for 10 minutes and face several opponents one after another.

without top conditioning, you will gassed after your fisrt opponent.

Gerry Abas is one of the best wrestlers I've had the good fortune to watch wrestle in person, my good friend competed against him numerous times and they actually had some pretty great matches.

Abas is FAR from what you would consider a natural athlete, especially when we were in hs. he's tall, lean, and it looked like he never touched a weight in the gym (at the time)

.... BUT his technique is incredible, and wrestling knowledge and grappling intelligence is what makes him an awesome wrestler.

same thing with 3x CA state champ Jimmy Aquirre.

edit: incredible ending, haven't watched that in awhile, thanks

The Abas brothers were two of the most fun wrestlers to watch I saw.

Although in the end Lincoln eneded up being a better wrestler I think Gerry got screwed a little bit in thier NCAA finals match. Those stall calls were suspicious if you ask me.

The Abas brothers were two of the most fun wrestlers to watch I saw.

Although in the end Lincoln eneded up being a better wrestler I think Gerry got screwed a little bit in thier NCAA finals match. Those stall calls were suspicious if you ask me.

....DUDE........ I WAS LIKE ....WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT!!

had Lincoln not gotten that takedown at the end I would have lost it. but he earned it with that so ce la vie

this thread has taught me some interesting things

most notably, my son will definitely wrestle. just for the work ethic more than anything.

I wish I wrestled.

first day of high school, me to my coach "is there a wrestling team?" "laugh, this isnt the 70's"

I agree with Abas being the most fun Wrestlers I have ever seen in person or TV. I am biased as I love takedowns.

I agree with Abas being the most fun Wrestlers I have ever seen in person or TV. I am biased as I love takedowns.

His snap down is naaasty... :D

Quick reshots, low singles, elbow hooks (the threat lead to a stalemate), hip dumping on his double, and how he dumped him with single and comes out the back door, smh, that was just sick. And all this happened in the FIRST MINUTE.

but he couldn't pace himself bc he was getting hit with passivity calls left and right. that was some bullshit

he's def one of my all time favorite wrestlers.

edit: that leg riding he was doing was straight up cali wrestling. keep em worrying about that guillotine, banana split, and cross faces .....but of course I might be a little biased... :icon_chee

Anyone who thinks Roger isn't athletic hasn't rolled with him. He may not be in the top 1% for athleticism in grappling but to say he's not athletic is ridiculous.

His snap down is naaasty...

Quick reshots, low singles, elbow hooks (the threat lead to a stalemate), hip dumping on his double, and how he dumped him with single and comes out the back door, smh, that was just sick. And all this happened in the FIRST MINUTE.

but he couldn't pace himself bc he was getting hit with passivity calls left and right. that was some bullshit

he's def one of my all time favorite wrestlers.

edit: that leg riding he was doing was straight up cali wrestling. keep em worrying about that guillotine, banana split, and cross faces .....but of course I might be a little biased

You 2 are both Cali guys do you know the Kistler brothers?

they're about ten years before my time.... :icon_chee

Kistler family of wrestlers among those to be honored today | Sports | Other | PE.com | Southern California News | News for Inland Southern California

Most young wrestlers attended camps and clinics, but the Kistlers were largely self-taught. They trained via daily regimens of jump roping, push-ups and sit-ups, adopting some holds used against them in matches and inventing others during impromptu sparring sessions at their home.

Since Notre Dame didn't have an organized wrestling program, Jackson Kistler helped found one his freshman year. He persuaded his friends to join the team and recruited family friend and former Riverside Community College and UCLA star Jimmy Rodriguez as coach.

Notre Dame emerged as one of the state's top programs while the Kistlers were there in the late 1970s, but wrestling facilities at the school were hardly ideal. Because wrestlers trained in a dank, windowless room that doubled as a weight room for the football team, they had to remove the equipment and roll out the mats before every practice.

"It was almost like a workout for the privilege to work out," Jackson Kistler recalled.

When the last Kistler brother finished his high school career by winning a state title, it was a bittersweet victory to Rodriguez, also among today's honorees.

"I was happy to see Marty win, but I also got very sad because it was the end of an era," he said. "They're the best wrestling family in the history of California. I'm proud to have coached them."

All four brothers validated their high school achievements by flourishing at the collegiate level.

Jackson and Lindley earned four All-American honors between them, the former at UCLA and Arizona State and the latter at Arizona State and Iowa. Harlan became the only wrestler to win conference titles at three different schools: UCLA, Arizona State and Iowa.

Marty was the first Californian to receive a full wrestling scholarship to Iowa. He excelled under legendary coach Dan Gable, capturing a pair of national titles and earning the national tournament's MVP award his senior year.

Only Harlan still lives in Riverside, but all four brothers planned to attend today's ceremony.

"You don't think about it when you're younger, but as I get older, it definitely has more meaning," Jackson Kistler said. "It's really cool to hear that people are aware of your accomplishments."

Back