Rogan might be drinking Eddie's cool aid too much???

all the guys competing in adcc and mma have always crosstrained in no gi. What is different imho is that the guys with bjj backgrounds realized that S&C training is that important in modern mma. That's one advantage that wrestlers had, their training was so intense and the type of training fit mma perfectly. in a 10 min bjj match it is more about cardio and endurance than power and explosion in a 5 min mma match.

Crosstraining No gi wasn't a big thing back when ADCC and such first hit the scene. People crosstrained, but I don't think it was taken as seriously as it is now. It was jiu-jitsu with shirts off, now you have guys like Dean Lister who consider themselves exclusively no gi grapplers and say they, "Laugh at people who think no gi isn't technical". People did it, but that attitude and commitment wasn't there initially. All you have to do is look at the early ADCC to now and see how the technical level of no gi jiu-jitsu has skyrocketed. BJJ guys have become more conditioned for MMA yes, but that has nothing to do with subs in high profile fights coming back.

bro, if you are not gifted. No matter how hard you train, you won't make it to the top 15% of sprinting. Even jiu jitsu if you are not gifted with the sense of balance and cordination you won't make it to the top 15%.

Meh, since there is really no way to prove either theory, I guess we'll just have to disagree. I fully believe that just about anyone who is willing to work harder than just about everyone else in a given sport, with PROPER training, can get to the top 10-15% of that sport.

Meh, since there is really no way to prove either theory, I guess we'll just have to disagree. I fully believe that just about anyone who is willing to work harder than just about everyone else in a given sport, with PROPER training, can get to the top 10-15% of that sport.

At least with his example of sprinting, it doesn't work like that. There really is something to natural ability. That cannot be argues. Out of the top 100 best times in the 3,000 meter steeplechase event at the Olympics, Kenyans hold 91 of the 100 times. Once sprints get to about 1,000 meters, Kenyans (less than half of one percent of the world's population) score half of all the medals for men's running.

There are lots of articles and sources out there about athletic hot spots, what they are, and why the exist.

That's a rather extreme example in just one sport, but I think those numbers are pretty crazy.

I hate commenting on this, because it sounds so negative, but it's like everyone is always told that hard work trumps everything else. And it does. I always like to say that practice doesn't make perfect, perfect does. But even if you're the hardest worker with proper training, you still have a lot that's in your way.

Age plays a factor, injuries, psychological and emotional health, timing, hell good and bad luck...

Sometimes all the pieces can be in the right place but it still just doesn't happen.

IN GENERAL, all of the people at the top of sports are naturals. Maybe you would argue that they're way higher than the top 10-15% and that's fine too.

comparing sprinting to BJJ is not good.

sprinting = running like really fast

BJJ = physical attributes, techniques, and USING YOUR BRAIN
and yes, for the 1000th time it is like chess because you plan a few moves ahead.

BJJ you do not need to do crazy things that are impossible. like of course not many people in the world can ever run a sub 4.2 second 40 yard.
shit, BJJ you don't need an unrealistic amount of speed or strength or flexibility.

look at football, who is usually the least athletic guy on the field besides kickers?
Quarterbacks - quarterback position requires the most intelligence of any position (and of course being able to throw a ball accurate/far)

Crosstraining No gi wasn't a big thing back when ADCC and such first hit the scene. People crosstrained, but I don't think it was taken as seriously as it is now. It was jiu-jitsu with shirts off, now you have guys like Dean Lister who consider themselves exclusively no gi grapplers and say they, "Laugh at people who think no gi isn't technical". People did it, but that attitude and commitment wasn't there initially. All you have to do is look at the early ADCC to now and see how the technical level of no gi jiu-jitsu has skyrocketed. BJJ guys have become more conditioned for MMA yes, but that has nothing to do with subs in high profile fights coming back.

Considering most of the medalists at AFDC were guys that train both I don't hunk that much has changed. It just got more developed like jiu jitsu with the gi evolves.

It sounds like u still believe the tooth faries.
There was a reason why vale tudo was no time limit, it was to just defend yourself until ur opponent got tires and couldn't use their power/speed anymore. In mma with. Short rounds talent makes more difference

comparing sprinting to BJJ is not good.

sprinting = running like really fast

BJJ = physical attributes, techniques, and USING YOUR BRAIN
and yes, for the 1000th time it is like chess because you plan a few moves ahead.

BJJ you do not need to do crazy things that are impossible. like of course not many people in the world can ever run a sub 4.2 second 40 yard.
shit, BJJ you don't need an unrealistic amount of speed or strength or flexibility.

look at football, who is usually the least athletic guy on the field besides kickers?
Quarterbacks - quarterback position requires the most intelligence of any position (and of course being able to throw a ball accurate/far)

I wasn't comparing BJJ to sprinting. I wasn't comparing BJJ to chess or saying that it's not like chess. I don't have a dog in this fight. I'm just saying that simply working hard does not always equal success is a sport, in music, life, etc. There are a lot of people that will bus their asses off to be good at Jiu-Jitsu, and only a few will get to the top. That's just how it is. Does that mean that you can't make it if you try? Of course not.

What you are forgeting to realize is that gable and karlin had the special gift to be able to push themselves that hard without their bodies breaking down on them. That is a natural gift in itself.

I can't believe I missed this post. This is such an important thing to keep in mind. Before the Mundials and the Abu Dhabis a lot of the top players train like 3-5+ times a day all week long plus strength & conditioning. Like NEFTI said, being able to do that without your body falling apart on you is a natural talent in and of itself.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is kinesthetic awareness/learning and proprioception. Training is going to increase kinesthetic awareness, but some people are going to have more of it than others, and people that have a heightened sense of this are generally better at grappling than people with less.

Ahhh another Eddie hater! Try admitting that the RG issss the best guard for MMA! Hands down!!!! WITHOUT question!!

Haterssssssssssssss!!!!

I can't believe I missed this post. This is such an important thing to keep in mind. Before the Mundials and the Abu Dhabis a lot of the top players train like 3-5+ times a day all week long plus strength & conditioning. Like NEFTI said, being able to do that without your body falling apart on you is a natural talent in and of itself.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is kinesthetic awareness/learning and proprioception. Training is going to increase kinesthetic awareness, but some people are going to have more of it than others, and people that have a heightened sense of this are generally better at grappling than people with less.

one thing that more of the bjj community needs to know or adapt to is the idea of "peaking". Something that the other combat sports are aware of.

Athleticism and good technique are not 2 mutually exclusive traits......The best grapplers are in shape AND have flawless technique.

The reason BJJ teaches you not to use your strength when rolling is because they want you to learn how to do the techniques properly. However, when you are competing in BJJ...you should be applying all of your talents (strength and technique).

Ahhh another Eddie hater! Try admitting that the RG issss the best guard for MMA! Hands down!!!! WITHOUT question!!

Haterssssssssssssss!!!!

if you intend to be the rubber guard ambassador then I would suggest you fix your avatar so you actually have a pic of you in rubber guard with the foot on the hip

i bet one of these three happened

a) the dude and you stalemated

b) stacked your shit in, was released of your rubber guard

c) you hipped out and put the foot on the hip

I doubt you did c.

not trying to be a dick

cheers

At first I thought zz was being sarcastic.

Then I looked at his av and thought this...

if you intend to be the rubber guard ambassador then I would suggest you fix your avatar so you actually have a pic of you in rubber guard with the foot on the hip

insert rogan saying "he is doing rubber guard wrong"

there's many wrong ways to play rubber guard and only one right way. it's like trying to americana someone in their guard. it's wrong.

Back