Rogan might be drinking Eddie's cool aid too much???

I agree on that, wrestlers are top of the food chain athletes, while bjj players, not so much, we believe technique over strength, not so sure what wrestlers believe, but they sure care much more about athleticism, strength, conditioning la la la than us... but I think thats going to change a bit on the future..

wrestlers believe in breaking their opponent physically and mentally and imposing their own will.

they're about ten years before my time.... :icon_chee

Kistler family of wrestlers among those to be honored today | Sports | Other | PE.com | Southern California News | News for Inland Southern California

Most young wrestlers attended camps and clinics, but the Kistlers were largely self-taught. They trained via daily regimens of jump roping, push-ups and sit-ups, adopting some holds used against them in matches and inventing others during impromptu sparring sessions at their home.

Since Notre Dame didn't have an organized wrestling program, Jackson Kistler helped found one his freshman year. He persuaded his friends to join the team and recruited family friend and former Riverside Community College and UCLA star Jimmy Rodriguez as coach.

Notre Dame emerged as one of the state's top programs while the Kistlers were there in the late 1970s, but wrestling facilities at the school were hardly ideal. Because wrestlers trained in a dank, windowless room that doubled as a weight room for the football team, they had to remove the equipment and roll out the mats before every practice.

"It was almost like a workout for the privilege to work out," Jackson Kistler recalled.

When the last Kistler brother finished his high school career by winning a state title, it was a bittersweet victory to Rodriguez, also among today's honorees.

"I was happy to see Marty win, but I also got very sad because it was the end of an era," he said. "They're the best wrestling family in the history of California. I'm proud to have coached them."

All four brothers validated their high school achievements by flourishing at the collegiate level.

Jackson and Lindley earned four All-American honors between them, the former at UCLA and Arizona State and the latter at Arizona State and Iowa. Harlan became the only wrestler to win conference titles at three different schools: UCLA, Arizona State and Iowa.

Marty was the first Californian to receive a full wrestling scholarship to Iowa. He excelled under legendary coach Dan Gable, capturing a pair of national titles and earning the national tournament's MVP award his senior year.

Only Harlan still lives in Riverside, but all four brothers planned to attend today's ceremony.

"You don't think about it when you're younger, but as I get older, it definitely has more meaning," Jackson Kistler said. "It's really cool to hear that people are aware of your accomplishments."

Lindley was one of my highschool coaches. Complete stud.

that indicates more quatity of red fibers (or white ones, not quite sure) by the way, I dont know how could you guys say that Roger is a good natural athlete, because he mostly wins with pure technique, he doesnt muscle stuff out... so based on his performance, I dont think you could say, hey! that guy is one heck of an athlete. And lets not even start with his body type.

red and white fibers? what the heck are you talking about?

I think rolling in the gi makes you a lot better without the gi because its so damn hard to pass guard and everything else when the other dude has levels to pull you around with

red and white fibers? what the heck are you talking about?

Dude, the last three threads I've seen BJJ Rage post on, I don't know what the hell he is talking about. I don't think the :icon_idea is on.

This talk about Roger not being athletic is absurd.

These guys must never have talked with anyone who has fought Roger in competition.

Dude, the last three threads I've seen BJJ Rage post on, I don't know what the hell he is talking about. I don't think the :icon_idea is on.

Simply put, he is talking about "fast twitch" vs "slow twitch" muscle fibers. He is in the ballpark but a little far out in the bleachers. Humans do not have the white muscle fiber like a chicken or rodent would have known as type IIb. We have types I, IIa and IIx. Types I and IIa are red while type IIx is lighter.

Simply put, he is talking about "fast twitch" vs "slow twitch" muscle fibers. He is in the ballpark but a little far out in the bleachers. Humans do not have the white muscle fiber like a chicken or rodent would have known as type IIb. We have types I, IIa and IIx. Types I and IIa are red while type IIx is lighter.

yeah, thats what I meant....

I think you have not been around the sport long enough.

I have seen pictures of Roger doing conditioning work for ADCC under Renzo, I am pretty sure he does that stuff all the time.

You go and compete at the highest level of BJJ with just pure techniques and see how it works for you.

They are all freaking top athletes. the only difference is the time limit in the IBJJF when they know that they have to fight for 10 minutes and face several opponents one after another.

without top conditioning, you will gassed after your fisrt opponent.

you dont need to be a natural gift athlete to do conditioning, being in great shape and having great cardio has nothing to do with being freak of the nature athlete...

How athletic of a wrestler is Kevin Randleman? Seems like Roger did ok with him.

<------ stirs the pot on this retarded thread from both sides. Can't we just love grappling in all forms. Hell I enjoy watching/learning about catch wrestling *gasp* don't tell my bjj coach or friends!!!!!! Oh noes.

Back