Rogan might be drinking Eddie's cool aid too much???

I don't agree with that at all. I would blame a lack of athleticism of bjj'ers if anything. From the start, we are trained to roll at a calm intensity level, not to muscle and don't use any physical advantages you might have over your opponent (except flexibility). A whole lot of bjj'ers despise any type of physical training/weight training. A lot of people on this forum even complain about 20 minute warmups.

Now take wrestlers on the hand. Usually explosive and the strongest guys in the sport. Some days they don't even cover techniques. The coaches just kick their ass for a couple hours.

Sorry for the off topic rant.:icon_neut

In a field of bjj practioners, they are top athletes I agree. Compared to other athletes, I'm not so sure.
completely agree with ya.

Wrestling isn't less technical, it's just that there is no prejudice against using strength and athleticism.

very well put.

I think if BJJ guys bothered to be physical, it would be a benefit. Just an observation from comparing wrestling, judo and bjj.

^In regards to the average BJJ guy. Top shelf competitors are just fine I think, unless they do MMA

I think its changing, but Roger and maia are a living proves that you can still make it in bjj based on superior technique and smartness.... jacare is one hell of an athlete, arona was one, but Roger and Damian are not they type of guys that you walk around the gym and say... damm that's one hell of an "athlete"...

roger's career is budding and maia certainly has had a very successful career thus far, but in general i find that champions tend to be on the athletic side of things.

in contrast to roger and maia, i find that jose aldo and charles oliveira are more naturally gifted in terms of athleticism and will very successful careers because of it.

iirc Roger did it one time and if anything it speaks about his grip strenght rather than "athletic ability". What has he done in bjj/no gi/mma that makes you think he is "very athletic"? I mean Andre Galvao and Jacare are athletic... Roger. Not so much. Plus the guy only weighs about 217.

Even if he doesn't do a strength and conditioning program, he's an athlete. If Galvao and Jacare are your standards for what athletic means, then very few people are athletic period.

I think if BJJ guys bothered to be physical, it would be a benefit. Just an observation from comparing wrestling, judo and bjj.

Once more people start doing BJJ, there will be stronger and better athletes doing the sport. That will force everyone else to step up their conditioning programs. Wrestling has been around a long time and since it is instituted at the high school (competitive) level, everyone does mandatory conditioning/weight lifting.

Quite a few of the younger competitive BJJ Blackbelts I have spoken to lift weights several times a week. I'm talking about guys who compete in ADCC/Mundials.

Heck, I've seen Master Carlos working out.

i don't know if you know it or not but rogan isn't a robot..

he has wants, feelings and opinions just like 99% of us humans out here.

i personally think the guy is an awesome commentator and is spot on with most of what he says..

and yes, if you want to know, bjj is more technical than wrestling, period.

speaking of drinking the kool-aid....

wrestling is VERY technical.

intricate details of the sport would blow your freaking mind if you tried to understand them from a novice perspective.

go to a high level wrestling clinic and you will walk out feeling like you just got out of a physics class.

Why can't you say that if you have less moves, that its simpler? That sounds like a fair assessment. However I don't agree that wrestling is less technical, just that its simpler. For one thing, you don't have to worry about gi grips and submissions.

I don't think it's fair to say bjj has "more moves" than wrestling.

I'd venture to say the opposite is true.

If you lined the two complete curriculum's I would think wrestling would be much larger. Especially when you factor in all three sub sections of wrestling, fs greco and folk, which most good wrestlers know a good deal of all three.

And in BJJ you don't have to worry about pummeling or pins or getting launched into Bolivia because you can just plop down on your butt, and drag your ass closer to your opponent.

This thread had an interesting discussion, however it's really just an anti-EB thread that turned into a BJJ v Wrestling thread.

Pure shit.

I don't think it's fair to say bjj has "more moves" than wrestling.

I'd venture to say the opposite is true.

I couldn't even start to list wrestling techniques, hell I couldn't even come up with a half of all the bjj moves. I just thought it was accepted common knowledge that wrestling had less techniques. According to any posts and threads I read in the past anyways.

I'm cutting weight right now and god am I craving some of Eddie's cool aid.

I couldn't even start to list wrestling techniques, hell I couldn't even come up with a half of all the bjj moves. I just thought it was accepted common knowledge that wrestling had less techniques. According to any posts and threads I read in the past anyways.

by some poster named "BJJ_Mania!1" or something.

I'm sure no wrestler would say such a thing....

trying to deny that bjj is more focus on technique than wrestling is pretty utter ridiculous... im sorry, im not saying wrestling isnt technical, it is... but a wrestler does not relies so much on techinique as a pure bjj practitioner, it doesnt take a phd on science to see that, look at how a wreslter is normally build and how a bjj practitioner is normally build, do you think bjj guys with are going to be able to man handle ppl the way wrestlers do??? no, there is a reason why...

trying to deny that bjj is more focus on technique than wrestling is pretty utter ridiculous... im sorry, im not saying wrestling isnt technical, it is... but a wrestler does not relies so much on techinique as a pure bjj practitioner, it doesnt take a phd on science to see that, look at how a wreslter is normally build and how a bjj practitioner is normally build, do you think bjj guys with are going to be able to man handle ppl the way wrestlers do??? no, there is a reason why...

case in point....

I think its changing, but Roger and maia are a living proves that you can still make it in bjj based on superior technique and smartness.... jacare is one hell of an athlete, arona was one, but Roger and Damian are not they type of guys that you walk around the gym and say... damm that's one hell of an "athlete"...

Oh Shit, here we go with the black vs white athlete crap again. Right cause all blacks are athletes and all whites are not. Give me a break thats why most "whites" dominate the ground game. Aside from Terere and Jacare, most of the top BJJ players are white or mixed white/indian.

Sorry to say but obviously Roger Gracie is super athletic.

you dont need to be black to look athletic... james irvin is one hell of an athlete, brock lesnar is one heck of an athlete... GSP, Matt hughes, AO, Urija, are all athletes, Roger Gracie? not so much.

you're mistake is equating big muscles and teh abs of steel with athleticism

that indicates more quatity of red fibers (or white ones, not quite sure) by the way, I dont know how could you guys say that Roger is a good natural athlete, because he mostly wins with pure technique, he doesnt muscle stuff out... so based on his performance, I dont think you could say, hey! that guy is one heck of an athlete. And lets not even start with his body type.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back