Rogan might be drinking Eddie's cool aid too much???

BJJ_Rage

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Watching the fight between Rafael Natal and Rich antonitto... about 3:22 on the 3erd round, he goes and says this: "a bjj very powerful guard is the rarest thing because a lot of them start their career training with a Gi, and get used to attacking and fighting using the Gi, and Natal is a big guy, and is probably used to be on top" (may be not exact words)

Well, just to start with... what the hell has Natal being a big guy and him used to be on top has to do with getting used to fighting with a Gi????

Then, Rogan should let bravos nutts alone for a while, while I love Rogan, and I think he knows his sht... He might be too influenced by Eddie with some stuff and gets him totally talking out of his ass...

It is just comments based on his own assumptions.

"Well, just to start with... what the hell has Natal being a big guy and him used to be on top has to do with getting used to fighting with a Gi????"

Because Natal usually probably works on top? total assumption by rogan but he's assuming his guard isn't as strong as his top game...not a horrible assumption really. most people don't work on the no gi guard
EDIT: 1st post is correct

EB blames the GI for the lack of success of BJJ fighters in the cage.

You always hear Rogan repeated the same stuff: "fighter A is looking/relying for the sleeves control due to GI training".

well, I dont know where is he getting bjj guys are lacking succes, I think this one was a big year for bjj... as well as for grapplers, is strikers the ones not doing so well lately...

"Well, just to start with... what the hell has Natal being a big guy and him used to be on top has to do with getting used to fighting with a Gi????"

Because Natal usually probably works on top? total assumption by rogan but he's assuming his guard isn't as strong as his top game...not a horrible assumption really. most people don't work on the no gi guard
EDIT: 1st post is correct

I agree, if you are a big guy, you probably prefer the top game, but what does that have to do with training with a gi or not?? is not like natal is going to be a guard player if he was training only no gi....

well, I dont know where is he getting bjj guys are lacking succes, I think this one was a big year for bjj... as well as for grapplers, is strikers the ones not doing so well lately...

I was reffering to his books or more like his first book.

EB and Rogan have not change their views since then.

They are just anti GI training.

EB blames the GI for the lack of success of BJJ fighters in the cage.

I don't agree with that at all. I would blame a lack of athleticism of bjj'ers if anything. From the start, we are trained to roll at a calm intensity level, not to muscle and don't use any physical advantages you might have over your opponent (except flexibility). A whole lot of bjj'ers despise any type of physical training/weight training. A lot of people on this forum even complain about 20 minute warmups.

Now take wrestlers on the hand. Usually explosive and the strongest guys in the sport. Some days they don't even cover techniques. The coaches just kick their ass for a couple hours.

Sorry for the off topic rant.:icon_neut

they are best friends and he does hold a brown shirt under him. only makes sense to be drinking the kool aid

I don't agree with that at all. I would blame a lack of athleticism of bjj'ers if anything. From the start, we are trained to roll at a calm intensity level, not to muscle and don't use any physical advantages you might have over your opponent (except flexibility). A whole lot of bjj'ers despise any type of physical training/weight training. A lot of people on this forum even complain about 20 minute warmups.

Now take wrestlers on the hand. Usually explosive and the strongest guys in the sport. Some days they don't even cover techniques. The coaches just kick their ass for a couple hours.

I agree on that, wrestlers are top of the food chain athletes, while bjj players, not so much, we believe technique over strength, not so sure what wrestlers believe, but they sure care much more about athleticism, strength, conditioning la la la than us... but I think thats going to change a bit on the future..

this thread had nothing to do with EB.

Rogan trains in the gi, is a grown man, and entitled to his own opinion without some randome intertubers accusing him of riding another mans nuts. I think he's earned that.

Well I agree with your point to a certain level which is the average Joe level of BJJ competition.

I want to point out that the top guys in BJJ competitions are top athletes.

Some guys went to the the pro JJ in AB and mentionned that they were nothing near the atlhetism of the top guys.

I think its changing, but Roger and maia are a living proves that you can still make it in bjj based on superior technique and smartness.... jacare is one hell of an athlete, arona was one, but Roger and Damian are not they type of guys that you walk around the gym and say... damm that's one hell of an "athlete"...

And a brown belt from JJ Machado, right?

pretty much.

this is where they met.

Rogan was just a white belt and started taking private classes from EB when he was a purple belt.

And a brown belt from JJ Machado, right?

im not sure about rogans rank under machado, but that stupid idea came from somewhere... Im not saying eddie told him, YOU GO BOY AND SAY THAT BJJ GUYS HAVE AN AWFUL GUARD BECAUSE OF THE GI!!! STEP UP FOR 10TH PLANET!!!... just saying, it probably came from hours and hours and hours of hanging out with Eddie...

Wait a minute are you insinuating that a grapplers opinion of grappling is influenced by his coach?

That is just absurd to think.

im not sure about rogans rank under machado, but that stupid idea came from somewhere... Im not saying eddie told him, YOU GO BOY AND SAY THAT BJJ GUYS HAVE AN AWFUL GUARD BECAUSE OF THE GI!!! STEP UP FOR 10TH PLANET!!!... just saying, it probably came from hours and hours and hours of hanging out with Eddie...

He believes that Gi training is a disavantage for NOGI and MMA competition.

Nothing new. I am not even sure why you are getting all upset about it.

Well I agree with your point to a certain level which is the average Joe level of BJJ competition.

I want to point out that the top guys in BJJ competitions are top athletes.

In a field of bjj practioners, they are top athletes I agree. Compared to other athletes, I'm not so sure.

I agree on that, wrestlers are top of the food chain athletes, while bjj players, not so much, we believe technique over strength, not so sure what wrestlers believe, but they sure care much more about athleticism, strength, conditioning la la la than us... but I think thats going to change a bit on the future..

what is this post trying to say?

Back