Rogan might be drinking Eddie's cool aid too much???

I think its changing, but Roger and maia are a living proves that you can still make it in bjj based on superior technique and smartness.... jacare is one hell of an athlete, arona was one, but Roger and Damian are not they type of guys that you walk around the gym and say... damm that's one hell of an "athlete"...

Rogan was not giving credit to the Gi training for Maia success in the cage.

Psh, Sapo is a capoeira guy. He's only been grappling seriously like 5-6 years.

what is this post trying to say?

what you just read, bjj focuses more on technique and less on strength and conditioning, wrestling focuses ton strength, power and conditioning more than bjj...(in general)

and yes, if you want to know, bjj is more technical than wrestling, period.

what you just read, bjj focuses more on technique and less on strength and conditioning, wrestling focuses ton strength, power and conditioning more than bjj...(in general)

I don't get into style vs. style discussions, and BJJ is obviously my favorite thing I've ever studied, but to say BJJ or wrestling is more technical than the other is just wrong. Wrestling is unbelievably, ridiculously technical.

this makes it seem like wrestling is simple. this is not the case. wrestling is just as technical as bjj, you can't just say because there are less techniques it is simpler.

That's like saying stand up striking is less technical than bjj, because there are less techniques overall. There are millions of ways to punch someone, just like there are millions of ways to setup a double leg, and millions of ways to arm bar someone.

Bjj is more about using leverage without strength, wrestling is about using leverage and strength. Leverage is a force mutiplyer. If anything bjj players need to realize this, as it applies to throws and takedowns.

Last edited:
this makes it seem like wrestling is simple. this is not the case. wrestling is just as technical as bjj, you can't just say because there are less techniques it is simpler.

Why can't you say that if you have less moves, that its simpler? That sounds like a fair assessment. However I don't agree that wrestling is less technical, just that its simpler. For one thing, you don't have to worry about gi grips and submissions.

LMAO when Rogan was here in Vancouver him and Goldberg were both doing BLOW!!!
they're both drunk and high every fight!!!! blow weed and liquor before the big show

Why can't you say that if you have less moves, that its simpler? That sounds like a fair assessment. However I don't agree that wrestling is less technical, just that its simpler. For one thing, you don't have to worry about gi grips and submissions.

in bjj, if someone is in your guard and has the knee up you don't just say oh shit there's no counter, oh well my guard is passed

just like in wrestling, if someone has a headlock on you, you don't just give up a pin

there is awlays a counter. always a counter to that counter. I think because of the infinite variables there is no such thing as less technical

well, I think there is a undeniable fact, bjj guys who are not very athletic are still making it, BIG in bjj competitions and MMA... you just cant make it in wrestling with technique alone, that's probably because everyone is at the same technical level (probably) so strength and athleticism and conditioning is what makes the difference... at bjj (while there are some freak natural athletes now) we have a demi God call Roger gracie who had probably not once in his life lift a weight... he wins based on pure technique (his height does helps him though)... there is a reason why most wrestlers in MMA tend to be the strong guy on top beating the shit out of the guy on the bottom... yes wrestling is a technical sport too.. not saying is not, just not as much as bjj... hell, adcc and mundials have absolute class... marcelo garcia beat ricco, I dont really think there is a shot in a wrestling competition for a guy 100 pounds lighter to beat the heavier guy...

That's like saying stand up striking is less technical than bjj, because there are less techniques overall. There are millions of ways to punch someone, just like there are millions of ways to setup a double leg, and millions of ways to arm bar someone.

Bjj is more about using leverage without strength, wrestling is about using leverage and strength. Leverage is a force mutiplyer.

I tend to agree. I don't mean this to offend anyone, but from what I've seen, the true "students" of fighting, combat sports, and martial arts don't really fall into the trap of claiming that one aspect or style is better than another. The true students are the people that are hungry to learn anything that is useful, and are willing to dedicate hours upon hours learning different aspects of combat. I have no interest in anyone that thinks their niche is all there is to it. I think it's very closed-minded.

well, I think there is a undeniable fact, bjj guys who are not very athletic are still making it, BIG in bjj competitions and MMA... you just cant make it in wrestling with technique alone, that's probably because everyone is at the same technical level (probably) so strength and athleticism and conditioning is what makes the difference... at bjj (while there are some freak natural athletes now) we have a demi God call Roger gracie who had probably not once in his life lift a weight... he wins based on pure technique (his height does helps him though)... there is a reason why most wrestlers in MMA tend to be the strong guy on top beating the shit out of the guy on the bottom... yes wrestling is a technical sport too.. not saying is not, just not as much as bjj... hell, adcc and mundials have absolute class... marcelo garcia beat ricco, I dont really think there is a shot in a wrestling competition for a guy 100 pounds lighter to beat the heavier guy...

Just because a person with a 100 lbs weight disadvantage in BJJ/no-gi BJJ can win does not make that a valid argument for suggesting that it is more technical than an entirely different combat sport with a different set of objectives and rules.

I would argue that there are ZERO reigning Mundial or ADCC champs that are "not very athletic." Roger Gracie is an athlete man. He's a freak. The man has torn people's gi jackets apart with his grips. You don't do that with pure technique and/or height alone. I can't speak on whether or not he trains with weights, but I would be utterly shocked if he did not do an intense strength and conditioning program. Cobrinha is a perfect example. He is a perfect example of someone who uses pure technique as well. Have you ever seen his strength and conditioning workouts? Wow... They are incredible.

It's almost like people today are crying a foul that bjj guys are training to match the wrestlers in the athletic department because it goes against "smaller man leverage" concept that bjj was based on

It's almost like people today are crying a foul that bjj guys are training to match the wrestlers in the athletic department because it goes against "smaller man leverage" concept that bjj was based on

Either that or some people are just lazy and don't want to do the work... It's probably a mixture of reasons.

Either that or some people are just lazy and don't want to do the work... It's probably a mixture of reasons.

Dave Camarillo is a proponent of the "if you do BJJ before wrestling or Judo it makes you a slightly lazier martial artist than vice-versa" theory.

More like... smoking the kool-aid...

(of all the insightful things to say, I choose this..)

I feel BJJ is kind of like the MMA of pure grappling. The rule set allows you to come from a sambo , judo, ect background and still be able to apply your techniques at a competitive level. (As long as you adapt a few things of course, same as in MMA)

I would argue that there are ZERO reigning Mundial or ADCC champs that are "not very athletic." Roger Gracie is an athlete man. He's a freak. The man has torn people's gi jackets apart with his grips. You don't do that with pure technique and/or height alone. I can't speak on whether or not he trains with weights, but I would be utterly shocked if he did not do an intense strength and conditioning program.

iirc Roger did it one time and if anything it speaks about his grip strenght rather than "athletic ability". What has he done in bjj/no gi/mma that makes you think he is "very athletic"? I mean Andre Galvao and Jacare are athletic... Roger. Not so much. Plus the guy only weighs about 217.

I don't agree with that at all. I would blame a lack of athleticism of bjj'ers if anything. From the start, we are trained to roll at a calm intensity level, not to muscle and don't use any physical advantages you might have over your opponent (except flexibility). A whole lot of bjj'ers despise any type of physical training/weight training. A lot of people on this forum even complain about 20 minute warmups.

Now take wrestlers on the hand. Usually explosive and the strongest guys in the sport. Some days they don't even cover techniques. The coaches just kick their ass for a couple hours.

Sorry for the off topic rant.:icon_neut

Not really off topic. In fact it's more relevant than most people posts. And intelligent too.
BJJ= flow with the go.
Wrestling= I shoot you sprawl on me? F**K YOU! I'm just going to hit a reshot and drop you on your head.
Granted this IS a gross generalization of the two sports.
I wrestled and I loved it when I got back from 2-3 hrs of a complete and thorough ass beating then passing out in my bed after a hot shower. And doing it all over again the next day.
So much of wrestling (for me) was breaking through barriers and it's true what Dan Gable said:
Once you've wrestled, everything else in life is easy.
Your post=win

LMAO when Rogan was here in Vancouver him and Goldberg were both doing BLOW!!!
they're both drunk and high every fight!!!! blow weed and liquor before the big show

Rogan actually says he cannot do live commentary stoned. He says he would just stare into the camera giggling. If you see his podcast, you will agree.

Wrestling isn't less technical, it's just that there is no prejudice against using strength and athleticism.

Rogan actually says he cannot do live commentary stoned. He says he would just stare into the camera giggling. If you see his podcast, you will agree.

He also says negative things about cocaine quite often.

Back