Robbie Lawler would not "Absolutely Destroy" McGregor

Over 10 fucking years ago. That win doesn't mean jack shit in today's landscape. Manhoef power>Diaz power. Conor's punches might as well be pillows compared to Manhoef.

So his chin magically got stronger since then? Chewing a lot of gum is he? Doing the old jaw workouts?

Lawler has a button just like anyone else. Hit it, and he goes down.

Right? Sheesh

"But but but he fought at 155 before!"

Yeah, outside the UFC against scrubs in the local shows. Where he also lost twice. Big difference between local shows and the UFC champion, huge difference between local show 155 fighters and the UFC welterweight champ.

So let me guess, you picked Aldo didn't you?

Trigg got practically murdered and blinded by him... Manhoef was never the same after that KO... Linland never took another big fight... But Tiki shouldn't be on your list - it was stopped for the cut, remember...?

Ha! I just remembered the ref sliding on his head to pull Lawler off him... That ref never made it big!
It was a cut.

A cut

Probably one of the best posts ive read on sherdog since joining 5 years ago

couldnt agree more and im not even a huge conor fan

So his chin magically got stronger since then? Chewing a lot of gum is he? Doing the old jaw workouts?

Amazing how it's been 10 years and no one else has found it. More likely the Diaz loss was a fluke.

So let me guess, you picked Aldo didn't you?

If you're not even gonna try, don't bother posting.

What I like about this situation, if (yeah yeah, a big IF) Conor beats RDA and fights Lawler - even if he loses, gets KTFO you wouldn't be able to say 'hypetrain derailed' anymore, as by that time he would already achieve much more than most expected, and losing to such bigger opponent would be 'probable outcome' and not shameful. That's what Conor haters really want - for him to be put to shame, humiliated. Well he beats RDA and moves up, and no matter how it ends his train is secure and hype as just as it gets.

Robbie's size will be a big problem for McGregor. Fighting at 170 isn't a good idea for Conor imo.

Id have to see how everything translate when he moves up. Plus he has to beat RDA first, thats a big if. He didnt get gifted a decison to Condit or Hendricks, both fights where close and could have gone either way, a gift is like Diego sanchez vs almost anyone, or L. Garcia in most fights. Also Hendricks ALSO went to a decision vs Brown so lets not pretend thats a terrible win, Brown has NEVER been KO'd, and mainly submissions, Robbie isnt exactly a submission fighter, he has ONE like 10 years ago.

Again thats 2 weight classes, I would say..no his power isn't going to improve as he gets bigger thats usually not how it works, and he will get slower as well. Now his conditioning might improve, but not his power , while Conor has power its not otherworldly, but he has GREAT accuracy which is even more important.

Everything I have seen would suggest the fighter moving up is at a disadvantage in most cases, add in the Robbie wouldnt play the mind games nor would he care about the fight more than any other fight. I think alot of fighters lose the Conor fights because they treat it like a special case, I dont think Robbie cares one way or another.

All signs point to Robbie having almost every advantage aside from speed, and again we would have to see how Conor does when facing fighters stronger than him.

This whole TS point is meaningless overall, we dont know what he looks like at LW, and then moving up another 15 lbs to fight Robbie...thats a lot of physical change that we would need to see how he deals with it. Lets just say I think Robbie wins this, but in a fight anything can happen, I wouldnt favor Conor in this fight at all, but stranger things have happened. Lets see him defeat RDA and see how he looks before we start claiming him as being able to beat HWs next.

Over 10 fucking years ago. That win doesn't mean jack shit in today's landscape. Manhoef power>Diaz power. Conor's punches might as well be pillows compared to Manhoef.

Furthermore, Lawler was green and training at Miletich fighting systems when Diaz KOed him. When he joined ATT, he got exponentially better.

Threads like these are so fucking embarrassing.

80618-you-are-very-good-you-gif-Robe-4mBR.gif

You forget the fact that when Conor is at 170 LBS he will also have a lot more power. Plus his accuracy alone is scary. I believe that he would also be much faster than Lawler.
Lawler also gets hit a lot more than Conor so that is another factor why i think that Conor would dominate

4 posts and you went from "Lawler would not absolutely destroy" to "Conor would dominate"... lol

I'm going to wait to see if Conor can win the 155 pound belt before I start making these matchups.

Who has he absolutely destroyed in the past fights?

I give him credit for fuckin' up Rory MacDonalds' nose but that was after he was losing the fight.
He lost to Condit but he got gifted a decision
He got gifted a decision against Hendricks
He got into decision with Matt Brown

Sure he has a lot power and punchers luck but his technique is not the cleanest, he simply charges at you and tries to knock you out, doesn't use wrestling, doesn't use BJJ and his fighters IQ is not the highest.

We have seen his struggle against skilled stand-up fighters, Melvin Manhoef for example: He was ABSOLUTELY killing Lawler until he landed the lucky overhand right that knocked Manhoef out. Manhoef is not known for a iron chin so its not a big surprise he got knocked out. Of course people will say that "it was years ago and he is a different fighter nowadays" but to be honest his stand-up is not that much better from their fight. Of course Manhoef and Conor have very different styles, but they're both fast, strong and calculated.

Now people seem to forget that Conor has a very good chin and his movement alone could be a big trouble for Lawler who is used to more traditional fighters, of course Lawler COULD knock out McGregor but that is very unlikely.

People also seem to forget that Conor has very good accuracy and he actually knows where to punch and when. This has been proven to you Conor haters time and time again, but you meat heads won't believe it. So be it.

Robbie is getting older all the time, he will soon be 34 so he is facing the end of his prime (most likely) so it will be another factor WHY Conor would beat him.

It is pretty obvious that out of all the champions Robbie is definitely the most entertaining one, but i have never felt that he deserves the spot. He belongs to the top 3 in my opinion and i don't think that he would even beat GSP. Of course now we can only speculate since GSP is no longer in the game, that is just my opinion.

If Conor beats RDA (In my opinion he will) i can't wait to see him vs. Lawler, might be even shorter fight than the upcoming RDA fight. You Conor haters are counting him out time and time again.

You forget the fact that when Conor is at 170 LBS he will also have a lot more power. Plus his accuracy alone is scary. I believe that he would also be much faster than Lawler.
Lawler also gets hit a lot more than Conor so that is another factor why i think that Conor would dominate

His best shot at welterweight gold is against Lawler. If judges could score a fight, this would be a fantasy match up, not a distinct possibility.

Sickening.

Lawler is one of DFW's favourites and I think that has something to do with him being champion.

He's the least skilled champion in a long time, makes me embarrassed to be an MMA fan.

Conor would beat him imo but he won't go through RDA.

Which one of them is even near the fighter Conor is?
Obviously much easier to knockout bunch of bums. Manhoef knockout was pure luck and you know it.

Conor has dat anderson silva ko skill, placement and timing. His power at lightweight will still be there, maybe even better. I think he has like 8 or 9 kos at lightweight already

I favor Conor in the fight. I feel it'd be a striking match, and the skill discrepancy between the two of them is greater than Lawler's 2 inches of height and 15 pounds of weight.

And I say that as a big Robbie Lawler fan. His UFC run and title reign has been incredible. People still vastly underrate his improvements as a striker, but I'm not one of them.

Robbie was limping, eating loads of leg kicks / punches, he was trapped in the corner and then he unleashed his last hope: overhand right and it landed
Conor said that he would knock out Aldo with the first punch and he did that (well technically not the first punch thrown but he predicted that it would happen just the way it happened) so i don't think that it was luck that Conor landed the shot, he has knocked out guys in similar way (for example his last LW fight) and he has studied movement a lot so i don't know

I agree. Conor has a better chance against Robbie than he does against a lot of WWs.

Conor is no joke. Elite ground fighters are his kryptonite, but if he can keep the fight in striking range, he is extremely dangerous against everyone. Nobody can take that left.

He has a better shot against Lawler than most of the WW top10.

If Conor gets past RDS, he has a very good chance to dethrone Robbie Lawler

What I like about this situation, if (yeah yeah, a big IF) Conor beats RDA and fights Lawler - even if he loses, gets KTFO you wouldn't be able to say 'hypetrain derailed' anymore, as by that time he would already achieve much more than most expected, and losing to such bigger opponent would be 'probable outcome' and not shameful. That's what Conor haters really want - for him to be put to shame, humiliated. Well he beats RDA and moves up, and no matter how it ends his train is secure and hype as just as it gets.
Just wanted to lock these posts in before they get to deleting them.

HAHAHAHA

Just wanted to lock these posts in before they get to deleting them.

HAHAHAHA
If you read any of my post you would know I am a McGregor "hater" and have chose against him every fight since the first time I seen him fight Brimage. No way I think he takes the LW belt or WW strap. That being said, I stand by my post.

I said his best chance is against Robbery Lawler which is true. Nobody worse than him is going to get that belt. He wouldn't even be champ if judges could score a fight (condit and hendricks obviously beat him) hence the fantasy matchup remark.

You really think Conor has a better chance against Wonderboy, Hendricks, Woodley, Rory, GSP, Maia, or Condit than against Lawler? Those are the guys I see as possibly holding the belt and stylisticly they match up with Conor much better than Lawler. Like I said I still back up my post, I was just pointing out the UFC knew what they were doing trying to fast track a WW title shot for Conor while Robbie was king, it was his best chance at getting those three belts, regardless how slim his chances were.

Back