Robbie Lawler would not "Absolutely Destroy" McGregor

I dunno. You seem kinda biased. I also know personally that you're very biased. And you aren't good at arguing. I can throw the ad hominem at you too if you want, in that you don't enjoy watching Conor, dislike him personally, and prefer women's fights above everything, and therefore your opinion is probably shit.

Ok, I'll take your bait.

Conor's only hope and prayer against a much larger Robbie who has fought half his career at middleweight, is to KO him. If a collection of middleweights including a K-1 striker like Manhoef couldn't knock Robbie out,Cloner, who drops weight to fight at smaller guys at featherweight doesn't stand a chance.

Will Clonor tag Robbie, sure, But you can also bet Robbie will land plenty on Conor, who has never been hit by someone like Robbie. Robbie can also take it to the ground, where Conor won't have a chance to beg Herb Dean for a stand up, because he'll be eating leather en route to suffering a two or ko.

giphy.gif

Do you really think Conor's chin would hold up the same at 170?

He has not even fought his first lightweight match and people having him beating welterweights, if McGregor falls against Dos Anos, the backlash against his fans will be comparable to the incoming tsunami waves against the coast of Tohoku Japan.

Robbie fights welterweights and Conor fights featherweights. Any top 5 WW would absolutely destroy Conor in one round. How much more delusional can you be?

Utter delusion, TS

Lawler is laughing at you.

1.gif

Well, Conor's got a better chance of knocking him out than Hendricks or Rory did.

People have this misunderstanding about knocking someone unconscious. Power is much, much less of a factor than you would think.

Ok, I'll take your bait.

Conor's only hope and prayer against a much larger Robbie who has fought half his career at middleweight, is to KO him. If a collection of middleweights including a K-1 striker like Manhoef couldn't knock Robbie out,Cloner, who drops weight to fight at smaller guys at featherweight doesn't stand a chance.

Will Clonor tag Robbie, sure, But you can also bet Robbie will land plenty on Conor, who has never been hit by someone like Robbie. Robbie can also take it to the ground, where Conor won't have a chance to beg Herb Dean for a stand up, because he'll be eating leather en route to suffering a two or ko.
The way they both fight, I think someone is definitely getting KO'd. And maybe it'd be Conor, but I favor him to win. I think it'd stay on the feet, and I think Conor's better there.

I think people overstate Robbie's size advantage and/or they overvalue the importance of a size advantage. I agree that Robbie can probably take Conor down, and that'd increase his chance to win, but I don't see him attempting it. Someone is going out before that happens. Robbie fought at Middleweight because he was lazy. That doesn't speak too much to any size advantage he'd have over Conor. If they fought at Welterweight, Conor would probably weigh 170-180 while Robbie would weigh whatever he does now, which I assume is 185-190. That's probably 10-15 lbs. 2 inches of height. 0 reach advantage. And Conor fights long and uses lots of kicks. And Robbie's fought over 30 rounds in his last 7 fights, absorbing hundreds of strikes, taking lots of damage. There's too many reasons to favor Conor in a striking match.

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I feel like McGregor does best against guys that like to push the pace and don't mind taking a shot to throw two... I feel like if Lawler's thinking is that he'll just bully him and knock him out it would end pretty badly for him... I think Lawler's smart enough to see that, but there's been some sideways gameplans in the history of the UFC and it's not like Lawler has been on the top of the world for some time, so it would certainly be an interesting fight to watch. I wouldn't be comfortable picking a winner of it with any confidence, and those are the best fights to watch.

He has a better shot against Lawler than most of the WW top10.

QuestionableJaggedArmyant.gif

I think these gentlemen plus many many more would disagree with you.
To be fair, that was about as lucky a punch as it gets. He was getting his ass beat badly up to that point. But overall I agree with you, that would be a real tough fight for Conor to win.

That's pretty much my feeling too... Guys like Condit and Rory I think would completely outclass him.
I don't like those matchups either, but I wouldn't say either outclass him. Rory would take him down and win that way. Condit could win with his reach advantage and a good gameplan, or maybe he could take him down too. Neither of them are superior strikers though.

People seem to think conor will be weighing in at 145 for these fights. Against RDA he will tip the scales at 155 after cutting weight. He would even cut to 170.

Ok, I'll take your bait.

Nick Diaz knocked Robbie Lawler out.

Robbie fights welterweights and Conor fights featherweights. Any top 5 WW would absolutely destroy Conor in one round. How much more delusional can you be?

Yeah, maybe if Conor was giving up 30lbs. If he ever does move up to WW, he won't be walking into the cage at 145lbs.

The delusion of Conor fans in this thread... Mindblowing.
People seem to think conor will be weighing in at 145 for these fights. Against RDA he will tip the scales at 155 after cutting weight. He would even cut to 170.
No people arent thinking he would weigh in at 145 for a LW or WW fight. He would however look flabby at 170 with a lot less muscle mass and a smaller frame than the guys that naturally fit there.

Conor at 170 would be less optimal than at 145 or 155. He'd lose speed and be much weaker than guys that cut from close to 200. He gets destroyed by any top 10 WW.

Sickening.

Lawler is one of DFW's favourites and I think that has something to do with him being champion.

He's the least skilled champion in a long time, makes me embarrassed to be an MMA fan.

Conor would beat him imo but he won't go through RDA.

Someone unskilled would've gone for a hook or a straight as an opener to their counter combo attempt, someone unskilled doesn't combo on the counter outside of panic/finish combo(s). He threw a slick ass counter lead right uppercut, rear left hook, lead right overhook combo and knew the guy was out and was waiting for the ref. He was ready to counter his opponents counter counter and etc. What more do you want out of a wrestler turned MMArtist?

The Diesel finish was him attempting to have his hips aligned for optimal pivoting in his hooks, his stature lead me to believe he was missing proper foot placement (edit: was on mobile, his placement isn't that off) but the gif doesn't show his legs nor feet and he's young, green, & mean there. Regardless if he was gassed he improved the efficiency and speed of his punches and despite them not appearing to have enough oomph, it's widely known in MMA circles that Diesel nearly died and was sure he was going to. Thats with what appears to be non correct foot placement. Robbie could murder a blown up LW, and would murder death kill a blown up FW.

Robbie Lawler is not one to be underestimated. A majority of his career is highlighting the sheer stupidity of people who've underestimated him. It's stupid enough to underestimate a fighter, but Robbie Mo'fockin' Lawler? Come on, man.

Last edited:
Back