Rico Verhoeven hints at fighting in UFC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grijswaarde

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
From a Dutch article in "De Telegraaf", one of the biggest newspapers/websites in the Netherlands. I am not a professional translator but should be close enough:

--
After UFC presented the new champion belt last friday, Rico Verhoeven hinted on a new challenge on social media. "I want to add one of these to my collection", Verhoeven replied to an official instagram-post of UFC.

Inside Glory there are not much challenges left for the King of Kickboxing. The 28 year old Verhoeven is already the nine time heavyweight champion of the world. One of the few fights people are still waiting for is the rematch against Badr Hari. "Everyone wants to see that fight", Verhoeven said last year. "I'm waiting for a date". In the meantime Verhoeven is also making a career as a moviestar in Hollywood. He will play the main role in the action movie "Black Lotus" this year.

In 2015 Verhoeven already made a short switch to MMA. He then entered the octagon to fight Viktor Bogutzki. That fight was not under the banner of UFC.
--

Huge if true
ts_641d4059940d225891cefef0328c2b9d.JPG

Him vs Overeem would be sick. I know they have beef.

Him vs Greg Hardy would be fun too.

giphy.gif

But maybe that’s on me?

Only most succesful kickboxer of all time and current world champion, so yes might be you.

Yeah so that’s probably on me. But I don’t watch that sport so I’m okay with it. It’s not like I blindly insulted somebody.

Yeah so that’s probably on me. But I don’t watch that sport so I’m okay with it. It’s not like I blindly insulted somebody.
No problem obviously, kickboxing is huge in the Netherlands so assuming you are from another country you have a freepass :)

What about Rico Verhoeven vs Badr Hari 2?

Rico shouldn't waste time and go to MMA. Now he is 29 years old.

Only most succesful kickboxer of all time and current world champion, so yes might be you.
Is he really more successful or better than Schilt, Hari, Aerts, Hoost, Bonjasky etc.?

I don't doubt that he's currently the best HW kickboxer, and very accomplished. But the division doesn't seem very stacked at the moment. Seems like the golden days for the division were 10 years ago.

Is he really more successful or better than Schilt, Hari, Aerts, Hoost, Bonjasky etc.?

I don't doubt that he's currently the best HW kickboxer, and very accomplished. But the division doesn't seem very stacked at the moment. Seems like the golden days for the division were 10 years ago.

There is no way of knowing how he'd do against the old guard's best, but I definitely would bet he be competitive with them and would rank them in the same league as those guys.

His typical head forward boxing gloves defense will make him go the way of Saki and Overeem whenever he tries to do that against fighters who will simply punch through it and knock him out.

Whats his ground game like????
giphy.gif
........ I'm waiting..........

Well... he is the 9 time world champion, so in that regard he is without a doubt the most succesful kickboxer ever.

If he is the best kickboxer ever is up for debate. In the 90's K-1 period most fighters took WAY more risk, went more for the KO and fought more spectacular... but Rico being more defensive / point fighting might actually be the reason he is undefeated for so long.

But yes the playing field is also thinner, that much is true. Hard to tell.

book him vs Derrick would be hell of a stand up fight.

Well... he is the 9 time world champion, so in that regard he is without a doubt the most succesful kickboxer ever.

If he is the best kickboxer ever is up for debate. In the 90's K-1 period most fighters took WAY more risk, went more for the KO and fought more spectacular... but Rico being more defensive / point fighting might actually be the reason he is undefeated for so long.

But yes the playing field is also thinner, that much is true. Hard to tell.

To be fair, the earlier days of K-1 also didn't have the biggest talent pool.

I also think Rico just makes the rest of the division look really bad too. So I don't think it's as thin as a lot of people think.

book him vs Derrick would be hell of a stand up fight.

Assuming it will be a pure striking match Rico should win this pretty easy imo. Only question mark is how to deal with thinner gloves... but there are more than enough examples how to NOT do it, and Rico is a very very smart fighter. Should be huge favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back