Rico Verhoeven hints at fighting in UFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, the earlier days of K-1 also didn't have the biggest talent pool.

I also think Rico just makes the rest of the division look really bad too. So I don't think it's as thin as a lot of people think.

How early?

I think the VERY beginning, it was limited but when you had:
CroCop. LeBanner. Hoost. Hunt. Bonjasky. Manhoef. Leko. Schilt. Ignashov. Sefo. (a few more).
Those guys were skilled and tough. They looked like fluid lifelong kickboxers.

He is Dutch grappling champion and his only mma match is grappling was better then his striking, you can look it up on youtube

Being dutch champion in grappling is basicly as glamorous as being the peruvian hockey cup winner.

UFC HWs will be dusting off their wrestling singlets when he signs a contract

giphy.gif

But maybe that’s on me?
Are you serious? I don't follow kickboxing and even I know who he is.

Rico would smash a lot of ufc hws on paper but 4 oz gloves man..look what happened to saki.

I was hoping Bellator would make a play for him for a couple years now.

He fought mma before and that wasnt a pretty sight... so not really interested seeing him in the ufc

Rico would smash a lot of ufc hws on paper but 4 oz gloves man..look what happened to saki.
Look what happened to Adesanya and Overeem.

Also, Rico is huge, maybe bigger than Francis.

Kickboxers have a really tough time adjusting to smaller gloves. Apart from his ground game lacking (could be improved), the real problem is his kickbox reflexes and reliance on giant gloves. Easier to learn something than to unlearn deep rooted habits.

Well... he is the 9 time world champion, so in that regard he is without a doubt the most succesful kickboxer ever.

If he is the best kickboxer ever is up for debate. In the 90's K-1 period most fighters took WAY more risk, went more for the KO and fought more spectacular... but Rico being more defensive / point fighting might actually be the reason he is undefeated for so long.

But yes the playing field is also thinner, that much is true. Hard to tell.

Imo those 9 defenses are nothing compared to 3 or 4 gp wins. Especially given the current level of competition compared to the 90-00 era. Not Rico’s fault of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back