Rico Verhoeven hints at fighting in UFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
His striking didn't impress me at all in that one mma fight he did. He couldn't deal with the other guys pressure so he panic wrestled

Rico has talked about it before a few times. Also said he had an offer from bellator but it wasnt good enough.

I would really like it, but dont see it happening tbh.

Also source from OP isnt exactly known for their credibility in NL.

His striking didn't impress me at all in that one mma fight he did. He couldn't deal with the other guys pressure so he panic wrestled
Well to be fair, its not like he really committed to MMA and really learned the craft to change his game. He still fought like its a kickboxing match. Once he starts having MMA sparring with high level guys then he will learn what works and doesnt.

How’s Verhovens ground game? That’s the real question. Don’t want to see him come in like Saki and get destroyed in the first minute.

Not going to lie, never heard of him since I don't follow kickboxing. I looked him up and one piece of information that stood out was his reach...it seems pretty short for a guy who's 6'5" (77 inches). Badr Hari is only an inch taller but has an 84 inch reach

IMO if you are a true MMA fan you should at least have some basic knowledge of what’s going on on in other combat sports.

Imagine a bigger and better version of Sakhi. That's how he will perform in the ufc.

Rico vs. USADA would be his first epic fight.

Well he makes 250.000 per championship fight and is the 9 time champion... kinda depends how good he will be in MMA if he is to make that much. It's less than the UFC champs make, but still way more than the average fighter.

And he might lose sponsors if he goes to the UFC.

Is he really more successful or better than Schilt, Hari, Aerts, Hoost, Bonjasky etc.?

I don't doubt that he's currently the best HW kickboxer, and very accomplished. But the division doesn't seem very stacked at the moment. Seems like the golden days for the division were 10 years ago.
yeah... but those times were awsome :) so fun to watch... does anyone know any org's/ streams of kickboxing now ?. Exept glory :)

Would love to see this, phenomenal stand up, big, and athletic and seems to be training his ground game. Big fan

Him vs Overeem would be sick. I know they have beef.

Him vs Greg Hardy would be fun too.
At this point he'd fuck Oveereem up (unless, since jon has been given the green light, that they let him eat horse meat again).

Glory had a lot of (really) overweight fighters last years which made them look like shit... but the last months/year the sport became way bigger (mostly because of Rico's succes and the Rico-Badr fight which was HUGE over here) and the rest of the fighters seem to have taken the sport more serious since. Belly's disappeared and cardio and speed improved.

I think the current HW roster is actually the strongest we had in the last 5 years for sure.

The difference is Rico Verhoeven actually does take kickboxing seriously because I've
never seen him show up in anything less then excellent condition where others show up
heavier and with bigger guts on them.

If they still have USADA around in 5 years when he has a crumb of wrestling, he might win a few.

His outstanding kickboxing skills are pure ring and glove skills. His MMA debut in 15 didn't look particularly comfortable against a guy who thought he could stand with him.

Short of UFC deciding to feed him ego led Strikers all the way to gold, he is going nowhere.

How’s Verhovens ground game? That’s the real question. Don’t want to see him come in like Saki and get destroyed in the first minute.
He's a legit Division 1 Dutch wrestler, we don't wrestle.

Well... he is the 9 time world champion, so in that regard he is without a doubt the most succesful kickboxer ever.

If he is the best kickboxer ever is up for debate. In the 90's K-1 period most fighters took WAY more risk, went more for the KO and fought more spectacular... but Rico being more defensive / point fighting might actually be the reason he is undefeated for so long.

But yes the playing field is also thinner, that much is true. Hard to tell.

The opponents in the K1 days were also much much better then now, i am completely sure Rico wouldn't be so succesful in the K1 days as he is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back