Religion Fact or Fiction?

HealingFoot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
RELIGION.......

The very word can silence a room, and at the same time this word can make a room explode into a mess of why? Who? What? When? How? And yes and no and if this is so, than why does this happen? And so on...... My question is this; what is your opinion on religion? Any religion. I choose Christianity (spelling)?

Since the day I was born, my mother pounded the Holy Bible into my head every chance she could squeeze into our daily lives. You MUST pray before meals son! You MUST pray before Bed son. You MUST pray at EVERY moment for EVERY thing at ANY time of the day. She would come into my room at night and pray over my bed, she would pray as she drove me 2 the bus stop. She prayed for everything and anything. (At least she is not a hypocrite). I was forced 2 church every Sunday no matter what happend. The car has broken down again, no problem. The next thing I know we are calling fellow sheep* 2 give us a ride. We never missed a sunday.

The fact that I was forced 2 believe in god irritated me at about 16 when I gave it some thought. But I was afraid of my thoughts. I did not want 2 get punished by the all mighty Lord for doubt. But the questions were there. And they nagged, and picked until I gave up. I talked 2 some friends about it. We discussed situations, and we discussed contradictions. I came 2 the conclusion that it made no sense at all. So I gave up on believing. My mother gave up on dragging me 2 church. (At the time my parents had just gotten divorced and I lived with her in town, which made going 2 church in the mountians very taxing. My mothers van could not make that far of a trip). So there I was, unbelieving, free minded, and for some reason..... feeling alone and empty. It is not an easy thing 2 do you know. Just stop believing in god for 16 years over the course of 16 days. I stuck 2 my new found freedom and that was that though. I did feel afraid at night for a while, not having faith in something made me feel like I was so vulnerable and so frail. But I held 2 it. I gave up on the lord. And I am glad I did. I now feel as if I am better for it. I don't knock religion. It makes some people who would otherwise be assholes, not such assholes........ it can make people great people. Like my mother. My favorite person in the world. Its just not for me. Anyway, I have not written an essay in a long time so forgive the horrid format of this post.

Some reasons I don't believe in God anymore:
1-There is no proof
2-The Bible is silly
3-The world is not so great.
4-If you can't go 2 Heaven without acceptin Jesus into your heart, what about the poor souls who have never heard of him? Like people on the other side of this planet who have no idea? Jesus condems them 2 a burning eternity for them not even knowing? Whatever.

And some others I don't feel like thinking up.

Have you ever tried 2 argue with a Believer in Christ? It is rediculous. No matter how good of an argument you make, you cant win. Example:

JF*- You know they found Jesus's remains?
Me-Fuck off sheep*
JF-No, really. They found them in jeruselam.
Me-You got 5 seconds before somebody is out looking for YOUr remains.
JF-Hehe, no, they actually found them
Me-But Jesus was a spirit, he had no remains.
JF-Uh, er.....um...
Me-Thats righ fuck head! Now you die!
JF-NO NO WAIT!!! When Jesus was on .....earth...uh, he was HUMAN.... but in Heaven... he is a SPIRIT...yeah...HA!
Me-911? Yeah some guy just killed a poor kid trying 2 preach the word of the lord 2 him. Yeah, he is dead alright. I...uh, I mean, the guy beat him with bat and ran him over with a truck

You get what I mean...I guess. You cant win with them,

JF-Did you know jesus loves you?
Me-Fuck off sheep.
JF-He does!
Me-Prove it
JF-He died on the cross for you!
10 o-clock news- Another door 2 door preacher has been found hanging from a tree with a Bible up his ass...I don't know folks, could there be a connection?
Me-AHHHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHhAHHAHHA!!!!!!

Augh, anyway... JF* =Jesus Freak
Sheep*= Another mindless drone, a follower of Jesus, like a sheep 2 a shepard.

This post was not posted 2 offend anybody. I just wanted 2 hear some of your thoughts. And maybe get some good debating going on:) It is 4 am here and I have nothing else 2 do. Pathetic life I tell you.:rolleyes:

Once again I apologize for the shitty formate, I just can't write long posts without first writing it on paper at least 3 times and getting rid of crap and making paragraphs... The funny thing is, In college english is my favorite class, and I always aced it. I gotta go back 2 school!:rolleyes:

Wanna go more in-depth? If you want 2 anyway, i just would like 2 read it.:)

This is a topic that I am sure will be in more debate than any Rickson topic

this is an interesting topic Healing Foot but also controversial.......i believe in god because my family is catholic however i don`t go to church never.....why......`cause i believe in god in my own way and i think some of the rules of how we conduct ourselves in life and society under god`s eyes are men rules.....not god rules...i give everyday thanks to him for be alive and be well and for take care of my family and friends.
i don`t have anything against people that go to church or believe in him in anyway......what i`m really afraid is of people that are fanatic...good example Bin Laden..he`s an extreme fanatic of god between other things and in the name of god his hatred to USA make him does the crime we already know...that to me is far beyond limits.
religion is not bad at all because all of then...islam,christian, catholic, hindu...any try to make the man live a better life in all short of way.....what make religious dangerous is how people practice then and teach then.

hope not to make any diference with anyone here....like i say this a good topic to talk about but also need to be handle with caution.

I like LeftBench's breakdown of it. If you've ever seen Dogma, even though it's made as joke it's got some really serious words in it.

One of the things I like is when Chris Rock is talking about beliefs and how they're bad to have. The reasoning, you can't change a belief, so in turn you should have ideas. An idea can be changed. That's a big problem I have with religion. It was created thousands of years ago and doesn't really account for the world as it is today.

At another point in the movie that I enjoyed was that of Salma Hyeks (who's SLAMMIN)...She was talking about how none of the religions have really pegged it yet and that it's not what you have faith in just that you have faith. I thought this was a good thing to look at.

Organized religion has a whole breeds nothing but segregation and hatred. Even though the principles are based on love and understanding. When you can't accept another human being because they are not of your religion then you are being biased.

Also, one of the 7 deady sins is Pride, how the fuck can you not be committing that sin if you hold your religion to be better than everyone elses?

I guess I'll have to stick to watching UFC so I'm not sinning. :(

You have to ask yourself a question... Does it do any bad in believing? If you really take a look at the bible all it preaches is to be good to other people and to love God... Does it take that much effort to be good to people? I hope not... There will be a day in your life that you will hope that there is an afterlife.. probably when someone close to you dies or you yourself are facing death..

I personally believe there is a God... I have had a day in my life where knowone could help me but God... Im still here and im not gonna go in to it because it's personal... I turn to God a lot when im feeling down or i have a problem... I always come out on top and thank God for that... On another note... The world isn't great because people make it bad... If everyone on this planet treated each other the way they wanted to be treated just like the Bible says then the world would be great.. it's not because people chase after wealth and power and only care about themselves... We are the ones who control what happens on earth..

Here is how i see religion... at least the ones that are good... (like tell people to love each other)

Religion's are like cities on the river... They all lead to the same place.

Shooto - Bin Laden isn't a holy man... He doesn't really believe in what he says... He just uses people's beliefs for his own benifit... That's all..

Fiction. Pretty amusing at times, but still fiction

This has been done time and time again, but there is no harm in continuing it. I do not wanna get long winded here so I'll keep it short. Take a look at yourself. Look at your big bodily systems. If any one aspect was the slightest bit different, the whole system would not work. It's that complex. Complexity by definition points to design. Design must have a designer.
We had a thread on one of the many new boards a while ago that said what things do you beleive in? It listed about 20. I saw one person listed that the only things they believed in were evolution and marijuana legalization. What a sheer waste of oxygen.
The best part of the argument is how non believer says that there is no proof and we have been brainwashed...how many of them actually understand the theory of evolution? It was taught to them in school and therefore it MUST be true! My science teacher the other day told me whales evolved from wolves that tried to swim to get food. And I'm told I'm irrational. The whole theory is nothing more than an adult fairy tell that lets you decide whats right and wrong for yourself and separates you from God forever. You like to think of yourself as just a "super-animal" fine, but know that you turn your back on things that may now seen hard to understand but once were cold hard facts that people died to pass on to us.

Originally posted by Red Dragon
This has been done time and time again, but there is no harm in continuing it. I do not wanna get long winded here so I'll keep it short. Take a look at yourself. Look at your big bodily systems. If any one aspect was the slightest bit different, the whole system would not work. It's that complex. Complexity by definition points to design. Design must have a designer.
We had a thread on one of the many new boards a while ago that said what things do you beleive in? It listed about 20. I saw one person listed that the only things they believed in were evolution and marijuana legalization. What a sheer waste of oxygen.
The best part of the argument is how non believer says that there is no proof and we have been brainwashed...how many of them actually understand the theory of evolution? It was taught to them in school and therefore it MUST be true! My science teacher the other day told me whales evolved from wolves that tried to swim to get food. And I'm told I'm irrational. The whole theory is nothing more than an adult fairy tell that lets you decide whats right and wrong for yourself and separates you from God forever. You like to think of yourself as just a "super-animal" fine, but know that you turn your back on things that may now seen hard to understand but once were cold hard facts that people died to pass on to us.

...I thought you didn't wanna get long-winded

I guess nobody can honestly say whether it's fact or fiction, since you can't offer proof for either side. I don't believe in God or religion. I can't proove I'm right, but I don't believe the onus of proof lies on the non-believer, as he isn't the one making outrageous claims.

IMO (which should head any reply on a religion thread), God is a fictional character created to curb people's fear of the unknown. Where did we come from? Good question. It's easy to imagine the human race spawning from a "father" just as each person on earth does. It's also a nice thought to have the big daddy in the sky looking over you, protecting you, etc.

I can't remember where I heard this, but somebody said "The stupider you are, the more religious you are." I'm not calling those of you who are religious stupid, but I tend to agree with this statement on a watered-down level. I'm not saying they're not books-smart, just naive and gullible (man, I'm going to catch shit). Understandably though, it can be hard NOT to believe when you've been indoctrinated by your parents and community all your lives.

Then again, maybe I'm wrong. If that's the case, pray for me so that I won't burn in hell for all eternity. :D

And for everyone who says everything is made by something else, everything needs a creator, etc. Who made God?

Enjoy yourself boys.
And the entire "you can't go to hell if you don't believe in it" argument is retarded. "I can't get hurt by bullets if I don't believe I can" remember that argument the Chinese made? The British shot them to death.

Back