• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social [Rats Infestation] How Rats Took Over New York

I heard the canary died, but it was due to natural causes. So keep it up!
97LMXdytbWkvAU669rn44z-1eoM=.gif

What happens to the thousands of dead NYC rats that are being exterminated with a wildly successful new method
By Hannah Getahun,Jenny McGrath | November 1, 2023

Rats are being killed left and right in New York City. But what happens with all the dead rodent corpses?

They get a burial, of course.

Matt Deodato, an exterminator fighting the rat battle in New York told Insider that he collapses the burrows that rats reside in after killing them with carbon monoxide.

Although, in the past, Deodato said he relied on companies to haul away the dead pests — or dear friends, to those who care — leaving them there has been beneficial, in his opinion.

"If you walk into a room and it's full of smoke, you're going to presume there's a fire there and you're going to stay out of that room, right? You're not going to walk into a smokey house and say, 'Oh, it's okay, it's a little smoke,'" Deodato, who also goes by "Matt the Rat Killer" in some circles, told Insider.

Deodato said this concept applies to the rats as well.

"I believe the rat does the same thing as it picks up the odor of decaying matter, a decaying rat. It figures, 'Whatever killed that rat could kill me.' So it kind of stays away from that area."

From his observations, he has found that the rats are now thinking twice about burrowing in certain areas.

New York continues to struggle with its rat infestation problem. Just last year, residents reported nearly 3.2 million rat sightings in the city, Insider previously reported.

The city has tried everything from outdoor traps to rat poison.

However, NYC recently found a newer, and more humane, method. Pumping carbon monoxide into burrows is working to eliminate tons of rats. Per Gothamist, the city got rid of nearly all the rats from 100 rat burrows on a street in the city's Upper East Side.

It's very quick," Deodato previously told Insider. "It's effective."

https://news.yahoo.com/nyc-exterminator-killed-thousands-rats-010054416.html

Last edited:
lol @ thinking you can exterminate rats.

next up - campaign for the eradication of masturbation.
Japan effectively controls their populations. I don't see why we can't.

I managed it with a very local infestation. 20 years, never seen a rat in my garden despite maintaining 3 bird feeders.

Suddenly rats started appearing a couple of years ago, eating the scraps beneath the feeders and leaving dead mice all over the place. In my attic lives an old 1980s air-rifle, bought for plinking when I was a teenager. An air arms Jackal, the least politically correct design imaginable. Never been shot in anger.

531313_10150668661616065_637571064_9456347_1419882510_n.jpg

A few evenings sat out in the garden with a red light aimed on their spots, and they were all gone.

I got one of those humane capture traps and was able to relocate a bunch mouse-sided ratlets with it, but the big ones were too smart to go in it. Extreme violence was the only answer. There was one giant one - the moby dick mother rat - who was so much smarter than all the others. She witnessed quite a few of her compatriots demise, always staying back, hiding in the bushes. Had a couple of dead center shots miss on her, I think she was matrixing the pellets.

Eventually I got her, and after that... the colony dispersed. I've only seen one in the last 2-3 years (which I killed) and the mice came back, signalling the danger is gone. The old lady next door treats me like Superman after I told her what I did, which is nice.

Need to make a movie…

I bought a foreclosure in Hawaii and had to rehab it. Every night the rats would leave the attic and roam the house. You could hear them, there was a lot of them.

By the time I finished the house remodeling, they couldn't get in any more but still lived in the attic. I killed most with traps, that was gross. One time a bloody rat was walking around the house, disgusting. Poison finished the rest, then I sealed the attic. One crawled in a wall and died and stunk for a week. I hated those things.

Japan effectively controls their populations. I don't see why we can't.

New York’s trash disposal system needs to be fixed first.

Many buildings just put tons of trash bags on the sidewalks for pick up.

Crazy that this hasn’t been fixed yet

I bought a foreclosure in Hawaii and had to rehab it. Every night the rats would leave the attic and roam the house. You could hear them, there was a lot of them.

By the time I finished the house remodeling, they couldn't get in any more but still lived in the attic. I killed most with traps, that was gross. One time a bloody rat was walking around the house, disgusting. Poison finished the rest, then I sealed the attic. One crawled in a wall and died and stunk for a week. I hated those things.

There are specific types of rat bait that dehydrates them so they would get out of their hiding spots to seek water, and dies all dried up in the open instead of decomposing in your attic/crawlspace/walls/basement and stinking up your whole house.

We had these pellets laying around our garage in our previous condo because of its proximity to the community dumpster, and it works fantastically. Every now and then we would see a dead and stiffed rodent corpse laying around and simply toss it in the trash by the tail.

Last edited:
There are specific types of rat bait that dehydrates them so they would get out of their hiding spots to seek water, and dies all dried up in the open instead of decomposing in your attic/crawlspace/walls/basement and stinking up your whole house.

We had these pellets laying around our garage in our previous condo because of its proximity to the community dumpster, and it works fantastically.
Hopefully I never encounter them again, but if so, that sounds a lot better. Thanks for the tip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back