Crime New York will send National Guard to subways after a string of violent crimes

I mean, public transit isn't just something progressives support lmao. When did public transportation become a partisan issue 😂
It kind of is in the sense that pretty much everyone besides some right wing boomers wants better public transit, but most people are ambivalent or don’t feel too strongly about it. Progressives are the only ones who really push for it that hard. And like he said, they’re excuse makers for criminals.

The average American would be far more willing to pay taxes for, use, and advocate for public transit if they knew they didn’t have to constantly tell the homeless they don’t have any money, and if they knew they would be completely safe.

Theres a lot of shit America would be more in favor of, if not for a underclass and a group of people who make excuses on their behalf.

Ah you're gonna fixate on this point now to pivot away from the crime discussion. Shrewd but obvious.
You're accusing me of something and then when I point out its not true you get pissy? Come on now.

As for the point about crime, I spent a few minutes into a few studies on it. There is data to suggest increases in crime but as with most such questions there are conflicting findings. The studies that do find an effect have small effect sizes but that's to be expected with social science findings.

As for the point about crime, I spent a few minutes into a few studies on it. There is data to suggest increases in crime but as with most such questions there are conflicting findings. The studies that do find an effect have small effect sizes but that's to be expected with social science findings.

Don't believe your lying eyes.

I live on Long Island and work in the boroughs and use subways from time to time. The Govenor brought in the guard but disarmed them and they have no arrest power. They were checking bags for weapons and taking them if found, but no arrests for having weapons. My buddies are NYPD where they directed tons of cops into the subways because of Migrant and Homeless attacks on riders. They say this is all a last ditch effort by the Govenor to save face after saying there was no crime wave and Conductors were being beaten and riders were being robbed and attacked on the daily. The cops are there only for show, they are told to only arrest for felonies witnessed. They are handcuffed by the horrible DA policies. That being said the amount of money being spent on the Migrant crime wave is astronomical. This is costing the city hundreds of millions. My NYPD friends say that the rumor that foreign nations emptied out their jails and mental institutions to send them all here is looking like fact. The Shelters are like jails.

The news won't say it, but there are a group of teenage Venezuelans that are attacking and slashing people on the line. The reason is unknown. They know one of the kids from a previous altercation in a shelter.

Sending in the National guard to protect New York's subway is only a temporary solution. It doesn't solve the problem. What needs to happen is for bail to return to New York, and for DAs to impression criminals. Till that happens crime will continue to rise in New York.

NY Sends National Guard into Subways​

The subways are officially a war zone.​

I don't know if this is true anymore, but my friend a few years ago had to do subway duty and he told me the rifles they carry are all fake and for show.

New York City mayor to put gun detectors in subway stations​

The push to beef up security in the transit system comes as New Yorkers express continued concerns over crime — Eric Adams’ signature issue.

blonde-girl-sunglasses-metaldetector-blonde-girl-sunglasses-metaldetector-beach-99639501.jpg

By IRIE SENTNER
03/28/2024 03:52 PM EDT
Updated: 03/28/2024 06:19 PM EDT

NEW YORK — New York City Mayor Eric Adams on Thursday started the process of setting up gun detection technology in subways, the latest move to crack down on crime in one of the world’s largest public transportation systems.

The devices, which are used in sports stadiums and museums across the city, could be rolled out in subways following a mandatory 90-day waiting period required for all new police technology.

Thursday’s announcement follows a viral video of a shooting on the subway earlier this month, and marks an escalation of Adams’ aggressive push to make New Yorkers feel safer as public opinion on the issue plummets.

“Would I prefer us not having to walk through this to come on our system? You’re darn right I do,” Adams said. “But we have to live life the way it is and work to make it what it ought to be.”

PCRqb48tUoEGK8qV9gd438.jpg

Adams and Gov. Kathy Hochul, like-minded centrist Democrats, have been taking steps to deter subway crime as they face the political peril of riders who feel unsafe colliding with New Yorkers distrustful of aggressive policing.

Last year, the governor helped foot the bill for NYPD officers to work 1,200 daily overtime shifts underground. After an uptick in crime in January following the expiration of that funding, Hochul sent the National Guard into stations to conduct bag checks. Earlier this week, Adams announced a surge of officers to deter fare beating. And on Thursday, he said the city will start hiring more clinicians for a $20 million program to help people on subways with untreated severe mental illness.

396615-1679900667.jpg

Still, safety concerns are growing.

On Monday, a man was killed when he was pushed in front of a train in Manhattan the same evening a police officer was fatally shot in Queens — headline-grabbing incidents that are indicative of a larger problem for Adams, who has staked his mayoralty on making the city safer and faces reelection in 2025.

Fewer than half of respondents to a recent survey of New York City residents said they felt safe on the subways during the day, down 40 percent from 2017. Fewer than a quarter said they felt safe on the subways at night, down 52 percent from 2017.

“Stats don’t matter if people don’t believe they are in a safe environment,” Adams said, referencing a statistic he uses often that the subway sees over 4 million riders and just six felonies each day.

images

The devices announced Thursday detect guns but not other metal objects like phones or water bottles, Adams said. They are manufactured by Evolv, and failed stress tests in 2022, THE CITY reported. Adams emphasized that the technology has improved and said they now work nearly every time.

The pilot will start with a handful of detectors, Adams said, adding that the NYPD will conduct an analysis of where to place the devices based on crime trends. If it’s successful, he added, City Hall could request funding for more detectors from both the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and city-based businesses interested in investing in the technology in nearby stations.

The Legal Aid Society blasted the move, calling the technology flawed and arguing that false alarms cause “panic and creates situations that could result in the loss of life.”
13955139008_7e549768fa_b.jpg

“This Administration’s headstrong reliance on technology as a panacea to further public safety is misguided, costly, and creates significant invasions of privacy,” Jerome Greco, supervising attorney of the organization’s Digital Forensics Unit, said in a statement.

New York Civil Liberties Union Executive Director Donna Lieberman said Adams was “jumping the shark,” pointing to questions over privacy, data security and biases in targeting.

“We should be wary of any flashy new technology that over-promises while raising novel privacy concerns,” Lieberman said in a statement. “And New Yorkers must ask what preventative and supportive initiatives, like housing, mental health, and employment services could be funded with this expense.”

Joe Anuta contributed to this report.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/...put-gun-detectors-in-subway-stations-00149601

Not sure if this has been posted but Olay Olurin absolutely shredded Eric Adams on The Brealfast Club. I feel bad for whoever greenlit this appearance because they're gonna be fired, that said this is how you use media to hold a public official to account.

Some cliffnotes:

- Eric Adams simultaneously says New York City is one of the safest big cities in the US (true) and yet a cesspool of crime that needs even more of a police state.
- Adams suggests that seeing hundreds more uniformed officers in the subways makes riders feel safer despite evidence to the contrary
- Adams tries to argue the validity of Riker's Island with a defense attorney, who cites her sources
- Every time Adams was cornered rather than address Olay, he would ignore her and speak to Charlamagne. Lol
- Adams attempts to paint his own rhetoric being questioned for his contradictory positions on "leftist disagreement/misinformation."

This debate is just a huge exposure of Adams' Copsplaining and it gets thoroughly dismantled to his face.

Not sure if this has been posted but Olay Olurin absolutely shredded Eric Adams on The Brealfast Club. I feel bad for whoever greenlit this appearance because they're gonna be fired, that said this is how you use media to hold a public official to account.

Some cliffnotes:

- Eric Adams simultaneously says New York City is one of the safest big cities in the US (true) and yet a cesspool of crime that needs even more of a police state.
- Adams suggests that seeing hundreds more uniformed officers in the subways makes riders feel safer despite evidence to the contrary
- Adams tries to argue the validity of Riker's Island with a defense attorney, who cites her sources
- Every time Adams was cornered rather than address Olay, he would ignore her and speak to Charlamagne. Lol
- Adams attempts to paint his own rhetoric being questioned for his contradictory positions on "leftist disagreement/misinformation."

This debate is just a huge exposure of Adams' Copsplaining and it gets thoroughly dismantled to his face.

- I remember when i just lurked here. Some poster pointed that theres years they're more lenient on crime, and years they're hard on crime, this way they have a excuse to rise expendure.

Do you have a idea how much costs this operation?

- I remember when i just lurked here. Some poster pointed that theres years they're more lenient on crime, and years they're hard on crime, this way they have a excuse to rise expendure.

Do you have a idea how much costs this operation?

I don't have numbers at the ready, but I do know Adams is doing the thing of cutting social programs, expanding policing, and blaming migrants. And that's not to say that NYC doesnt have a valid concern for the funding because of the influx of migrants, but it's always the same story regardless. If it wasn't migrants it would be blamed on local minorities.

Why do people continue to spread the lie that NYC is some crime ridden hell hole?

Out of the 100 largest cities in the US, NYC is 59th in violent crime rate and 96th in property crime. For a big city it's one of the safest in he country.

Back