Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw

Don't just give a title and a rating. Say something about it, doesn't have to be long, just a reason why it was good, bad or in between.

Guideline for the 10-star rating system:

10 - Excellent
9 - Great
8 - Good
7 - Pretty Good
6 - Decent
5 - Average/Fair/Meh
4 - Poor
3 - Bad
2 - Terrible
1 - Abysmal

Note: Some of your reviews might be copied to the official thread of the subject movie.

Link to previous thread: https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/rate-and-discuss-the-last-movie-you-saw-v-15.3581831/

Footloose (1984)
FootloosePoster.jpg

I didn't enjoy it quite as much as I did when I was a child, but it's a solid 80's flick none the less. It was cool to see Chris Penn on screen again (he was way more talented than his brother).

7/10 - "B"

Parasite (2019)
Finally got around to watching this after all the hype. I didn't have major expectations - I used to be a big fan of Asian cinema, Korean in particular, but always found the humour very slapstick and my mate told me this was more of a dour/black comedy than anything else. It was decent, it was quite funny, the ending caught me off-guard (well, the last 15-20mins at least) and I enjoyed it more than I expected.
7/10

The Gentlemen (2020)
Guy Ritchie's latest effort. I enjoy his movies, as generic as they are at times, and this was good. McConaughey plays an American weed baron based in London fending off double-crossing playas trying to take his fortune. I found the dialogue funny at times, as expected, it had a solid cast but the storyline / plot was basic as hell.....but it did the job. Not his best effort but definitely a solid addition to his resume.
7/10

Da 5 Bloods

Though all four leads play well off of each other, Delroy Lindo is the standout performance here and by himself he makes this worth watching. If you're a fan of Spike Lee then definitely give this a watch even though I don't think it's quite his best work, which mainly has to do with feeling like the first hour was a bit disjointed. There are also a few moments where the dialogue feels a bit too on the nose in getting across some of the messages the film wants to convey. Beyond that though, it's a powerful film and beautifully shot as well. Plus Clay Davis gets to say SHEEEEEEEEIIIIT again and it's great.

8/10

Road House (10 out of 10!)

Replay on Showtime. Kelly Lynch still looked good even with small weird fake boobs. The crime boss' ho was hot too.

This could use a shot by shot remake with some hot A list actress going fully nude.

My last movie was truth or dare from 2018. It was just average, nothing was really at stake, and kind of dumb ending when I think of it. 5/10.

what-do-you-like-to-drink-itm-a-fiend-for-13705182.png

latest

Miami Vice:
Attractive Women ✓
Fast boats ✓
Guns ✓
Action ✓
Feared Antagonists/Villians ✓

The problem Miami Vice draws is the inevitable Heat comparison. Every action movie released from Mann is measured against Heat.

Last edited:
Dark City

This was one of the first movies that blew my mind when I seen it. It's a sci fi movie about a dark city. I'm sure most people have seen it already.

I give this movie a 9 out of 10

Watched this last night after this recommendation -had never heard of it before. Mad film. The effects are awesome and the atmosphere of the movie draws you in from the start. I knew the opening line from an old dance tune so it was good to finally see the movie behind it. Thanks for the recommendation, 8/10.

Watched this last night after this recommendation -had never heard of it before. Mad film. The effects are awesome and the atmosphere of the movie draws you in from the start. I knew the opening line from an old dance tune so it was good to finally see the movie behind it. Thanks for the recommendation, 8/10.

You need to watch The Signal

maxresdefault.jpg

The Collector (2009) - Being a first time viewer I'm split on my feelings on the movie. First, I did like how it was a group up of non-stars in the picture which can be refreshing. Some of you seem to recognize Josh Stewart and who he was, well I did not. I would of liked more of a backstory on who the antagonist/villian was other than he's a licensed exterminator and Hispanic man at the very beginning who gives a thumbs up, I guess a person could call this a minor issue. Again, I like a little more elaboration on motives and what engineers the madness though. When I recently watched Black Christmas it was the same thing in that movie, except you learn even less about the antagonist/villian.
You need to watch The Collection which is the sequel..

I liked both movies. It was different then most horror movies because the hero was actually a legit badass.. The Hispanic guy you are talking about is not the killer. Part 2 really shows how much of a badass the hero is.. It's also much gorier then the first movie..

My question after watching both movies is whether the killer is human or not? Does he have supernatural powers?

His eyes aren't like a human's eyes. They are like a solid silverish color. They shine and reflect light in some scenes. In part one where he grabs the spider, it kinda shows that his eyes are like the spider's eyes..

Anyway the sequal is like an action horror. The hero goes after the killer with a team of mercenaries..

And I hear a part 3 is coming out and is being made..

I liked the Collector movies. They were different from the usual horror movie bullshit

Edit, and if you do watch part 2, there is more to the movie after the credits.. It might be the best part

JoJo Rabbit (2020)
Fucking weird, oddball little comedy movie about a kid whose imaginary friend is Hitler, set in Nazi Germany. If I was in a different frame of mind I think I would have really liked it, there was definitely something there that I liked and it was different. Some funny dialogue, but I just wasn't in the mood for it.
6/10

The Platform (2020)

Strange movie based on / in a somewhat futuristic prison where a platform of food is lowered down through the centre of the prison and inmates have a fixed amount of time to eat their fill before it keeps going. It's pretty dark at times, but what was essentially a decent idea disappears up its own arse around 1hour into the movie and never returns. Felt a bit pretentious by the end, shame, because I didn't mind it at first.
5/10

Once upon a time in Hollywood. Found it to be pretty enjoyable. It was way better than The Hateful Eight, which I remember to only about violence. Love the ending, love the dog.
8/10

A plane hijacking movie. JGL is one of my favourite actor so I checked it out. It's not a traditional action movie, the whole movie is shot from the cockpit. Decent movie.

Ready Player One (2018)

Ready_Player_One_%28film%29.png

I enjoyed this film a lot more than I thought I would. It was a good story with a lot of cool effects and nostalgia.

8/10 - "B"

Yeah so did I, nothing very original but nice to see Spielberg purely looking to entertain again, what he's best at IMHO.

EUROVISION SONG CONTEST: THE STORY OF FIRE SAGA - 7/10

Formulaic but thoroughly enjoyable. Basically if you liked Will Ferrell's Blades of Glory and Talladega Nights or Anna Kendrick's Pitch Perfect, you will like Eurovision. Good all around cast. Dan Stevens' turn as the flamboyant Russian singer was a hoot.

IpWz65u.jpg

Dark Skies 6.5-7/10

images

This came out a couple years ago and I remember wanting to really see it. I never did for 1 reason or another and the movie flopped.
Its an alien abduction movie, nothing more. However, it plays it straight. Theres no comedy in this and no subplot. Its an alien invasion movie of 1 family and thats it, simple to its core. I love that.
The issues with it though are that the child actors suck, but the adults dont do that much better. Theyre acting as if they were in a made for tv movie. What I like about it is what I dont like a lot about it and that is that they dont do anything new. Some stolen ideas from previous alien movies, but also from some horror like Paranormal Activity and Poltergeist. They even throw in a twist at the end, but its not that much of one. Now, I like the movies this movie steals from, so I enjoy seeing new displays from the past, but its not as shocking.

Still, if you like alien abduction mysteries, then I can recommend this.

Desperate Measures (1998)

Desperate_measures.jpg

This was a pretty descent thriller that further showcased Michael Keaton's versatility.

7/10 - "B"

Back