Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

MV5BMmRiZDhhNTYtYzBkZi00ODNiLWIzMjUtZDdmMDFkMjQyZGRjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjI4MjA5MzA@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Klute (1971) - A mystery-thriller with Donald Sutherland, Roy Scheider and Jane Fonda. I enjoyed Sutherland more in Klute than I did in Don't Look Now. I suggested before in DLN Sutherland was merely running around like a fking idiot in the last 30 minutes of the movie. Sutherland's a detective in New York investigating a murder-web involving a call girl, Fonda, as a witness-lead in the case. As expected Klute holds the style noir of a 1970's picture.

iu

Russian movies aren't usually my thing, but this one caught my eye so I figured I would give it a shot.

Story: Two alien invasion movies in a row for me? Strange. Either way, nothing super new here sadly. It doesn't do much to enthrall you, it doesn't add anything interesting to the idea of an alien invasion. It just is what it is. I.... can't really say much more than that.

Acting: It's made in Russia, so all the voices were dubbed into english for me. Meaning, I have a REALLY hard time judging the acting here. From what I can tell, if you watch it in it's original form it seems like it could be really decent. Maybe even good! But the voice-overs are pretty lackluster, aside from one of the key characters.

FX/Cinematography: The camera work was really hit or miss for me throughout the film, a few long shots that were really good but a few action scenes that seemed to have some really bad cuts and pacing. And the causal slow parts of the movie were just.... casual. Special effects, however, were really good. The makeup and clothing were well done. Hell, even the music was on point which is something I can appreciate. (Truth be told, I've noticed that while Russian movies have a lot to look down on, their FX and music is generally on par with decent Hollywood these days)

Overall: Ehhhh..... 2.5/5 is the best I can do? I mean, it's an action heavy russian movie where the voice dubbing is bad and the story is cliche. The ending had a nice touch to it though, and there is a few nifty takes on human history in the movie that it tries to use to explain things. I dunno, this is a hard one for me. If you can handle the voice dubbing, I'd say go for it. If not, just avoid it I guess.

The Rhythm Section (2020)
A woman loses family members in a plane crash / terrorist incident that is suspected of being a false flag. She's a junkie, she gets Jude Law of all people to train her to be a badass so she can go and exact revenge on those behind the incident. She's a very poor badass, though. It's an extremely dull action movie of sorts, skip it.
4/10

Spenser Confidential (2020)

Awful action movie with Wahlberg. He plays a former cop who gets out of prison and decides to take on police corruption with a completely unnecessary 'partner'......an amateur MMA fighter. I have no idea why the partner needed to happen or how it enhances the tepid storyline in any way.
4/10

X-Men Apocalypse 5/10

Lots of computer special effects but characters and story stunk. Since when was Psylocke's psychic blade become able to act like a Star Wars lightsaber and cut physical objects? The younger Jean Grey actress was kinda fugly with unattractive voice.

The end hinted at Mr. Sinister, but why no sequel featuring him?

21 Bridges - couldn't sleep last night (again) so I saw that this was available on Prime so I watched it. Pretty good way to kill an hour and a half. Pretty bloody and violent. Sienna Miller aged pretty well. Not sure who the other main actors were (I recognize that bald dude from OZ and Kitsch).

6/10. Nothing ground breaking.

maxresdefault.jpg

The Collector (2009) - Being a first time viewer I'm split on my feelings on the movie. First, I did like how it was a group up of non-stars in the picture which can be refreshing. Some of you seem to recognize Josh Stewart and who he was, well I did not. I would of liked more of a backstory on who the antagonist/villian was other than he's a licensed exterminator and Hispanic man at the very beginning who gives a thumbs up, I guess a person could call this a minor issue. Again, I like a little more elaboration on motives and what engineers the madness though. When I recently watched Black Christmas it was the same thing in that movie, except you learn even less about the antagonist/villian.

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

Star_Wars_Episode_III_Revenge_of_the_Sith_poster.jpg

People love to dump all over the prequel trilogy, but when you weigh it against most of the crap Disney has put out, it is light years better. The entire story arc of how Palpetine gained power was far more clever than anything Disney has done.

8/10 - "B+"

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

Star_Wars_Episode_III_Revenge_of_the_Sith_poster.jpg

People love to dump all over the prequel trilogy, but when you weigh it against most of the crap Disney has put out, it is light years better. The entire story arc of how Palpetine gained power was far more clever than anything Disney has done.

8/10 - "B+"

Opening space battle
Anakin v Dooku 2
Palpatine seducing Anakin
Obi Wan v Grievous
Mace Windu v Palpatine
Vader is born
Order 66
Sidious v Yoda
Obi Wan v Vader
Vader rises

Film is totally lit.

Ep 3 always delivered for me.

Da 5 Bloods: 9/10, Delroy Lindo deserves an Oscar for that performance, I quite enjoyed Spike Lees last two films. This and BlackKKlansmen were great.

Opening space battle
Anakin v Dooku 2
Palpatine seducing Anakin
Obi Wan v Grievous
Mace Windu v Palpatine
Vader is born
Order 66
Sidious v Yoda
Obi Wan v Vader
Vader rises

Film is totally lit.

Ep 3 always delivered for me.

Hell yeah- even if it only had the opening, Windu’s death scene (epic), and the intercut Palps/Yoda Anakin/Kenobi clashes going for it, it would be the best prequel film by a long shot. As it stands there’s a lot of other good stuff in there too.

McDiarmid’s whole performance, for instance, really is a great element of the film. The scene at the opera where he first starts to talk to Anakin about the power over life and death is just terrific and really a turning point in the film.

Really entertaining movie and if it’s not in the top 3 Star Wars films, I’d rank it a close top 4 (I think there’s an argument for Jedi or it as the superior film).

220px-Hacksaw_Ridge_poster.png

Hacksaw ridge
8/10

Been watching loads of war movies lately but this is defo in the top 5 war movies I've seen. A gruesome and emotionally affecting world War 2 story that has many antiwar themes and brings various messages about pacifism, faith, courage and spiritual strength. It's made more memorable by its great production values, gritty visuals, Andrew Garfield's superb and emotional lead performance, and a true return to form from director Mel Gibson.

Full Plot from imdb
The extraordinary true story of conscientious objectorDesmond T. Doss who saved 75 men in Okinawa, during the bloodiest battle of WWII, without firing a single shot. Believing that the war was just but killing was nevertheless wrong, he was the only American soldier in WWII to fight on the front lines without a weapon. As an army medic Doss single-handedly evacuated the wounded near enemy lines - braving enemy fire and putting his own life on the line. He was the first conscientious objector to ever earn the Congressional Medal of Honor.

JoJo Rabbit 9/10
A good movie, didn't know the full plot going into it, probably beat that way.
Deserved the best picture nom last year.

1917_%282019%29_Film_Poster.jpeg

Action packed and full of suspense throughout. Beautiful visuals especially in the way some scenes were shot just a beautifully made movie overall.

8/10

MV5BN2YyZjQ0NTEtNzU5MS00NGZkLTg0MTEtYzJmMWY3MWRhZjM2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDA4NzMyOA@@._V1_.jpg

Dunkirk
Another action packed war movie one that is probably better on a projector or in cinema though. Doesn't have much dialogue though and the movie moved too quickly for me but overall a good movie.

7.5/10

X-Men Apocalypse 5/10

Lots of computer special effects but characters and story stunk. Since when was Psylocke's psychic blade become able to act like a Star Wars lightsaber and cut physical objects? The younger Jean Grey actress was kinda fugly with unattractive voice.

The end hinted at Mr. Sinister, but why no sequel featuring him?

I thought this was average until the dark phoenix came out and made it look like a masterpiece. What a shame that the xmen movies have declined with the last 2 being shite. Atleast apocalypse had a few memorable scenes though whereas DP was terrible all the way.

Back