Economy Rashida Tlaib: The federal minimum wage 'should be $20 an hour'

It's the thinking I had to go to school, fight and claw and prove myself to get what I want and now you just want to hand some zit covered high school kid the amount of money I make... That's trash.

Bro, that's slave mentality. Again, there are people with PhDs making $35k a year. They had the same belief as you and they became world experts in their field. I doubt you're an expert in anything. Do you think they're pissed that your barely educated ass is making nearly as much as they are?

Chris Rock dropped out of high school and he's a multi millionaire. Bill Gates dropped out of college and is a billionaire. Do they piss you off because you have certifications and they don't? Or do you save your righteous outrage for the teenager barely making ends meet with their bum ass minimum wage job?

Haters really are gonna hate.

Just because you had it bad why does everyone in the future have to have it bad too?
Struggle is a great character test.

Compare kids that save up for a year to get a Honda Accord to the one that’s given the 2 year old M3. Who appreciates the car more

While I agree that $20 is about what is needed for a livable wage, these people live in a bubble.

I've worked for multiple billion dollar companies and it's never going to fly. When companies have to pay more money, it affects their bottom line and that's unacceptable. They will outsource, downsize and automate to keep the profits up and the bonuses going. It's the flaw of capitalism.

When you say this, a lot of people act like it's a ring wing talking point but it's just reality and I've seen it time and time again. $20 is great but if there are less jobs, I'm not sure how that helps anyone.

I don't have an answer. I think UBI is an interesting idea but I'd like to see it tested in a few states first.

I do know even at $15 an hour, you're going to see more touch screen ordering screens, companies downsizing and looking for ways to automate or outsource overseas. Minimum wage increases is a huge motivator for automation.

How do you fix that while making sure people have enough money to live on?

My thing is people tend to appreciate what you have more if you earn it. I had to fight and claw for what I have

Cool. If you really want to earn your money, move to a village in the Congo. You can earn every drop of water you haul out of the ground and every piece of chicken your kill, defeather, clean, and cook over the fire that you built.

Living in the richest country in the history of the world and talking about "I earned it".

Go back and re-read. We cross posted as I went back to add a couple more lines.

I see... I'm not sure that either of us know economics to the point we need to but I would agree that SOME laws of economics are immutable but there are also nuances, including but not limited to automation

Bro, that's slave mentality. Again, there are people with PhDs making $35k a year. They had the same belief as you and they became world experts in their field. I doubt you're an expert in anything. Do you think they're pissed that your barely educated ass is making nearly as much as they are?
wow, personal insults. I’ll be sure to never take shit you say seriously again.

And no PhD working in the field they got their PhD in is only making 35k a year.

Nice hyperbole.

Oh yeah.... barely educated.... that’s why I have a 4 year BA, 1 year technical certificate and a year of law school (unsuccessful in contracts, successful in everything else) under my belt means I’m barely educated.

Go eat glass

While I agree that $20 is about what is needed for a livable wage, these people live in a bubble.

I've worked for multiple billion dollar companies and it's never going to fly. When companies have to pay more money, it affects their bottom line and that's unacceptable. They will outsource, downsize and automate to keep the profits up and the bonuses going. It's the flaw of capitalism.

When you say this, a lot of people act like it's a ring wing talking point but it's just reality and I've seen it time and time again. $20 is great but if there are less jobs, I'm not sure how that helps anyone.

I don't have an answer. I think UBI is an interesting idea but I'd like to see it tested in a few states first.

I do know even at $15 an hour, you're going to see more touch screen ordering screens, companies downsizing and looking for ways to automate or outsource overseas. Minimum wage increases is a huge motivator for automation.

How do you fix that while making sure people have enough money to live on?
Didn’t Bernie up hisnstaffers to $15 an hour but then cut their hours?

Anything "The Squad" says...

tenor.gif

Cool. If you really want to earn your money, move to a village in the Congo. You can earn every drop of water you haul out of the ground and every piece of chicken your kill, defeather, clean, and cook over the fire that you built.

Living in the richest country in the history of the world and talking about "I earned it".

This really has me thinking... I'm thinking I agree with you and if I do it changes me entire perspective on a lot of things.

wow, personal insults. I’ll be sure to never take shit you say seriously again.

And no PhD working in the field they got their PhD in is only making 35k a year.

Nice hyperbole.

Oh yeah.... barely educated.... that’s why I have a 4 year BA, 1 year technical certificate and a year of law school (unsuccessful in contracts, successful in everything else) under my belt means I’m barely educated.

Go eat glass

Lol, what was the personal insult? That're you're barely educated compared to a PhD?

You genuinely don't understand how money works if you're surprised that there are PhDs making 35k. You think those people doing research on new world primates in Bolivia are rolling in dough?

We were all sold the same lie, bro. They told all of us that we could work hard and get educated and we would be millionaires. We were lied to. But you know who didn't lie to us? Minimum wage workers. They didn't do shit. They're in the same boat as the rest of us.

1) What's to prevent corporations raising prices, in the face of higher marginal costs in order to maintain profit margins and return on capital?

2) If market forces prevent corporations from raising prices, what effect will higher marginal costs have on production and labor demand?

3) What does Tlaib propose with regards to means tested transfer payments?

Being "educated" basically means you no longer have the ability to recognize bullshit when you hear and see it <45>

I see... I'm not sure that either of us know economics

University of California, Berkeley '85 - B.S. Economics
Haas School of Business '87 - M.B.A. Corporate Finance

I feel pretty good on this.

Lol, what was the personal insult? That're you're barely educated compared to a PhD?

You genuinely don't understand how money works if you're surprised that there are PhDs making 35k. You think those people doing research on new world primates in Bolivia are rolling in dough?

We were all sold the same lie, bro. They told all of us that we could work hard and get educated and we would be millionaires. We were lied to. But you know who didn't lie to us? Minimum wage workers. They didn't do shit. They're in the same boat as the rest of us.
I'm not barely educated compared to a PhD. A fucking JD is the PhD of the legal field and I was one year into it so... yeah, it's a personal fucking insult.

And those PhD's doing are not only making $35k. They get grant money in addition to salaries from colleges. So they're for sure making more than $35k a year unless they got a fucking PhD in "new age basket weaving" since you can technically PhD in anything you want. If someone has a PhD and is only making $30k while doing research then they're no employed by a university and they're a fucking dumbass for not going that route.

And I DID work fucking hard, I paid off my student loan in one year and paid up front for all my schooling out of fucking pocket. I worked for my table scraps and now you want to drop the fucking NY strip steak on some 17 year olds plate who didn't even fucking wash their face this morning. Nah, fuck that.

NOTHING is ever fucking handed to you in this life.

University of California, Berkeley '85 - B.S. Economics
Haas School of Business '87 - M.B.A. Corporate Finance

I feel pretty good on this.

You have me beat good sir.

I'm a lowly ol criminal justice major

This really has me thinking... I'm thinking I agree with you and if I do it changes me entire perspective on a lot of things.

It just drives me nuts. "I earned it". You earned what? Access to clean water? Not being born with AIDS? Being born outside or a warzone? Free public education?

Other than the absolute poorest of us, most Americans are playing life on easy mode. As we deserve; we're a great country. Just be happy and work hard and enjoy what you have. The balls it takes to live one of the most pampered lives in human history and then try to deny someone else a small pay raise...

The amount of work and the bullshit topics I deal with I probably do but I also don't think the fucking high school kid should be making $25k ish a year part time for flipping fucking burgers either.
I don't get why people argue that low skilled labor should not be paid a living wage. Why shouldn't a high school kid be able to save a decent amount of money for college or to begin good financial habits?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back