Economy Rashida Tlaib: The federal minimum wage 'should be $20 an hour'

I agree with you on this... 20 bucks to me seems too high because like you said, what is the incentive to do better? Fast food jobs should be for young adults just starting out and maybe a job to supplement social security for a retiree.
Like you're a single mother of two and working 3 part time jobs I get it.

But no for the fucking high school kid making $400 a week. Fuck that bullshit.

Tuition, car insurance, rent, food, drugs.
No high school kid is paying rent to their parents or fucking tuition going to public school.

Unintended consequences strikes again. Why wouldn't an employer simply staff with 20 somethings and watch unemployment for '45 year old mother of 2's skyrocket.

Maybe this is more of a case for some sort of graduated universal basic income?

Good point but I would like to think a 45 mother of 2 would be a more dependable and hard working employee that would stay at that company for a long time but I'm speculating. It costs money to hire a new employee with training and other costs. May actually save money going with the 45 year old.

Like you're a single mother of two and working 3 part time jobs I get it.

But no for the fucking high school kid making $400 a week. Fuck that bullshit.

No high school kid is paying rent to their parents or fucking tuition going to public school.

Just imagine you had a personal savings before college.

What kind of thinking is this? How does someone else making more money affect you at all? America is a multitrillion dollar empire and you're in a tiff because Ashley will make a few extra bucks an hour bagging groceries? Crab in a basket ass thinking.

I know PhDs making $25 an hour. And I know college dropouts making 300k a year. You don't get paid based on your qualifications, you get paid based on how much income you generate or, if you don't explicitly generate any (soldiers, teachers), how much society values you. If you aren't valued, that's on you to make yourself valuable, not try to hold everyone else back. Jesus.
It's the thinking I had to go to school, fight and claw and prove myself to get what I want and now you just want to hand some zit covered high school kid the amount of money I make... That's trash.

What kind of thinking is this? How does someone else making more money affect you at all? America is a multitrillion dollar empire and you're in a tiff because Ashley will make a few extra bucks an hour bagging groceries? Crab in a basket ass thinking.

I know PhDs making $25 an hour. And I know college dropouts making 300k a year. You don't get paid based on your qualifications, you get paid based on how much income you generate or, if you don't explicitly generate any (soldiers, teachers), how much society values you. If you aren't valued, that's on you to make yourself valuable, not try to hold everyone else back. Jesus.
Loser mentality. The best country in the world pumping out nothing but a bunch of victims. No offense to you greg.

Loser mentality. The best country in the world pumping out nothing but a bunch of victims. No offense to you greg.
My thing is people tend to appreciate what you have more if you earn it. I had to fight and claw for what I have

It's the thinking I had to go to school, fight and claw and prove myself to get what I want and now you just want to hand some zit covered high school kid the amount of money I make... That's trash.

Part of me thinks people like you may be underpaid for the work you had to put in to get where you are. I think the obvious answer though is you have a much MUCH higher ceiling compared with someone making 20 bucks an hour at McDonalds. In 10 years you could double your salary fairly easily

Like I get the minimum wage in some states of like $6 an hour is far too low to sustain people but I at the same time don't think people who are in like high school working at McDonalds part time should be going home with $400 (pre tax) a week (if they only work 20 hours a week). Where's the incentive then to get better if you just fold over into full time or work two separate full time jobs?

I'm salaried at $44,011 a year. Gross per check for me is around 1692.73 and goes down to about $1200 depending on deductions (not all my deductions come out of every check). I'd probably make more, if Federal minimum wage was $20 an hour if I worked two separate part time jobs? And if they're in the one service industry I know as a bartender and/or bouncer I'm 100% making more than I would now because of the tax free/under-reported tips.

The amount of work and the bullshit topics I deal with I probably do but I also don't think the fucking high school kid should be making $25k ish a year part time for flipping fucking burgers either.
if your company has difficulty hiring as a result of people taking easier jobs for 20/hour than they will need to increase their salaries

Just because you had it bad why does everyone in the future have to have it bad too?

Part of me thinks people like you may be underpaid for the work you had to put in to get where you are. I think the obvious answer though is you have a much MUCH higher ceiling compared with someone making 20 bucks an hour at McDonalds. In 10 years you could double your salary fairly easily

Even high paying Programming jobs are becoming automated. Have you heard of Ansible? You should have a look at it. No one is really safe from automation.

Last federal minimum wage increase to $7.25

Next minimum wage increase to $15 by 2025

That $15 inflation adjusted will be equal to the $7.25 enacted two decades prior.

Tlaib is on the right track.

This ducking racist pig is fine with 20? I thought she was progressive. It should be a time least 27 an hour. Actually since typing that it should be 29. 27 was for when I started typing

Where'd Tlaib get her economics degree from again?

The laws of economics are immutable. Fuck with them and expect a visit from the Good Intentions Paving Company.

Like the top end salary range for my step is 66k a year and I’m surrounded by attorneys all day so law school isn’t completely out of the question but I don’t get the idea that I paid in a ton of time, money, and effort to get where I’m at when someone wants to give high school kids that.

I admit it’s greedy but it’s one of the few things that pisses me off when we talk minimum wage increases. God knows mine won’t go from about $21 to $27 an hour if they go from $11 to $20

They still don't get it, if there would be no job because of Automation what would they do with a federally mandated minimum wage? You have to have a job first to earn your wages. This is one of the reason Yang have attracted so many educated people who understand the basic economics & IMO he is on the right track.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back