Economy Rashida Tlaib: The federal minimum wage 'should be $20 an hour'

It just drives me nuts. "I earned it". You earned what? Access to clean water? Not being born with AIDS? Being born outside or a warzone? Free public education?

Other than the absolute poorest of us, most Americans are playing life on easy mode. As we deserve; we're a great country. Just be happy and work hard and enjoy what you have. The balls it takes to live one of the most pampered lives in human history and then try to deny someone else a small pay raise...
Except a $9 an hour pay raise isn't small.

And I know I sound like a dick but the fucking burger flipper's job isn't as important to the function of society as mine is. Hell, the argument could be made that it's almost causing the US as a society to downgrade itself. No one knows how to cook their own fucking food anymore. My roommate's girlfriend caught a fucking Traeger pellet smoker ON FIRE.

I don't get why people argue that low skilled labor should not be paid a living wage. Why shouldn't a high school kid be able to save a decent amount of money for college or to begin good financial habits?
Do you know a decent amount of college kids that with $400 a week would save any of it?

It's one thing for that person at 33 that made mistakes in their lives to make a living wage but the 15 year old that still lives at home and doesn't even need to get their own groceries? Nah... You give that person $400 a week they ain't saving shit.

The next few decades are going to be painful. People cant wrap their heads around it. The truth is the jobs are disappearing. Meanwhile unemployment is reported as going down because people have to work 2 or 3 jobs to get by.

All the minimum wage noise in recent years is getting louder because peoples lives are getting worse.

Peoples lives are getting worse because corporations have taken over the country, destroyed unions(they kindof destroyed themselves also), taken away workers rights, destroyed company loyalty and driven down wages to the lowest common denominator.
They have brainwashed the masses into looking out for the individual instead of paying attention to the rules that are hurting others.
Even in this thread you see people proclaiming that others should not make what they make because they EARNED it.

Meanwhile the corporations are happy to give a few people their piece of bread as long as they tow the line and keep the peasants back from the table.

"Be happy with your crumbs, you didnt earn the full piece of bread."

And the billionaires laugh.

Amazon is the richest corporation in HISTORY outside of of state level royalty and they have workers around the world on strike for mistreatment and low wages.

Yet someone in this thread will lament how Jeff Bezos put in the time and if you dont like it you should start your own company and risk your own investment. If you wont do that be happy with your breadcrumbs!

Wake up people. Please wake up.

You've been brainwashed to serve your masters. Ever notice how its taboo to discuss wages in the workplace? Or that if you are the first to leave at the end of the day you are viewed as lazy?

Think. If profit was the only motivator you would be celebrated for your efficiency. Be more like him/her they get their work done in half the time as everyone else! They save the company money!

Its about more than that. They want you to be the underclass to continue to push profits up. The only way they can do that is by stressing you out and taking your time. Making you value the company more than your life.

Recently there was pushback against a Bernie bill that would require companies pay for overtime. The pushback was framed as increasing labor costs and hurting profits. You have been taught that because you get the bigger piece of the bread you should give more of your time to the company. Dont ask questions or pushback because we could pick someone else to give that piece of bread to.
Sheep.
We are the richest country in the world and have the land and resources to give every one of our citizens a lifestyle no other country has ever achieved.
Yet that lifestyle is reserved for a select few.
You earn it for them. You build it for them. You except your piece of bread and understand the price of it. Your time and your diligence in pushing down the dissenters that want more bread.

Tow the line.

Billionaires can't take advantage of peasants without your assistance.

It just drives me nuts. "I earned it". You earned what? Access to clean water? Not being born with AIDS? Being born outside or a warzone? Free public education?

Other than the absolute poorest of us, most Americans are playing life on easy mode. As we deserve; we're a great country. Just be happy and work hard and enjoy what you have. The balls it takes to live one of the most pampered lives in human history and then try to deny someone else a small pay raise...

Well, we still have to work hard. I mean I got up every day, went to class for 4 years (on time) did all the research, wrote all the papers and had to spend all my money to get the degree that I have. I feel I have worked just a littttle bit harder than the person who got a job out of high school, BUT

Put in your context of being born in America with really nothing to ever want or need for I don't take all that work I put in so seriously anymore.

Well, we still have to work hard. I mean I got up every day, went to class for 4 years (on time) did all the research, wrote all the papers and had to spend all my money to get the degree that I have. I feel I have worked just a littttle bit harder than the person who got a job out of high school, BUT

Put in your context of being born in America with really nothing to ever want or need for I don't take all that work I put in so seriously anymore.
Comparing the US to some backwater third world country that doesn't even know what penicillin is, is a poor faith comparison IMO and done to play at heartstrings.

I'm not barely educated compared to a PhD. A fucking JD is the PhD of the legal field and I was one year into it so... yeah, it's a personal fucking insult.

And those PhD's doing are not only making $35k. They get grant money in addition to salaries from colleges. So they're for sure making more than $35k a year unless they got a fucking PhD in "new age basket weaving" since you can technically PhD in anything you want. If someone has a PhD and is only making $30k while doing research then they're no employed by a university and they're a fucking dumbass for not going that route.

And I DID work fucking hard, I paid off my student loan in one year and paid up front for all my schooling out of fucking pocket. I worked for my table scraps and now you want to drop the fucking NY strip steak on some 17 year olds plate who didn't even fucking wash their face this morning. Nah, fuck that.

NOTHING is ever fucking handed to you in this life.

This is such an entitled mentality.

A friend of mine is a PhD in cell biology from an Ivy league school who makes roughly $35k a year doing research. You really think you're the only one out here grinding and making sacrifices? You think you're the only one who is underpaid?

Again, why are you upset at the teenager and not upset at Chris Rock? The dude tells jokes for a fucking living and is a multimillionaire. Why aren't you upset at Tom Brady? He fucking throws a ball for a living and gets to marry a model and live however he wants.

You're no different from the house slave who hates the field slaves when they get invited in for dinner one night. Instead of trying to get a piece of the master's pie, you're trying to keep those less fortunate than you from getting any food at all. That's toxic.

This is such an entitled mentality.

A friend of mine is a PhD in cell biology from an Ivy league school who makes roughly $35k a year doing research. You really think you're the only one out here grinding and making sacrifices? You think you're the only one who is underpaid?

Again, why are you upset at the teenager and not upset at Chris Rock? The dude tells jokes for a fucking living and is a multimillionaire. Why aren't you upset at Tom Brady? He fucking throws a ball for a living and gets to marry a model and live however he wants.

You're no different from the house slave who hates the field slaves when they get invited in for dinner one night. Instead of trying to get a piece of the master's pie, you're trying to keep those less fortunate than you from getting any food at all. That's toxic.
Because celebrities are the elites selling the lies. I've always ragged on them and will continue to do so.

Also lol at calling a minority poster a house :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.

Go fuck yourself. This idea that somehow Tlaib, AOC, and others have the best interest of the less well off at hear is a joke. Give it one re-election and they'll be just like the rest of the fucking :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: bitches in power withholding while doing the carrot on the string "we're fighting for you"

Fucking Bernie in all his infinite wisdom upped his workers wages to $15 an hour... then cut their fucking hours. He's just as bad as the people he rags on. So instead of trying to take the master's pie after me you come first. We ain't ever getting the masters pie so I may as well get all I can before you do.

I don't get why people argue that low skilled labor should not be paid a living wage. Why shouldn't a high school kid be able to save a decent amount of money for college or to begin good financial habits?

Is this the reason? I thought this was about reducing poverty?

That's part of the problem with using the minimum wage as an economic tool. It can't really be used to target properly.

Except a $9 an hour pay raise isn't small.

And I know I sound like a dick but the fucking burger flipper's job isn't as important to the function of society as mine is. Hell, the argument could be made that it's almost causing the US as a society to downgrade itself. No one knows how to cook their own fucking food anymore. My roommate's girlfriend caught a fucking Traeger pellet smoker ON FIRE.

Oh, I'm sorry. If Facebook important to society? Is that why Mark Zuckerberg is a billionaire? Because we couldn't live without Facebook? Notice there aren't any brain surgeons out there complaining that Zuck makes too much? Because they're not all up in other people's shit. They're happy with what they have.

Yeah, we all work hard for sure. It's just important to keep it in perspective. There are people working way harder than me and getting way less for it.

Oh, I'm sorry. If Facebook important to society? Is that why Mark Zuckerberg is a billionaire? Because we couldn't live without Facebook? Notice there aren't any brain surgeons out there complaining that Zuck makes too much? Because they're not all up in other people's shit. They're happy with what they have.
Mark Zuckerberg is a millionaire cause he came from a well off family and then stole money from a friend.

Brain surgeons also don't complain cause they're making millions after WORKING THEIR ASS OFF TO GET THERE.

Yeah, we all work hard for sure. It's just important to keep it in perspective. There are people working way harder than me and getting way less for it.
Then find a new better paying field.

Isn't that the answer when it's asked what do the coal miners do when you shut down the coal industry:
"just find a better job"

Because celebrities are the elites selling the lies. I've always ragged on them and will continue to do so.

Also lol at calling a minority poster a house :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.

Go fuck yourself. This idea that somehow Tlaib, AOC, and others have the best interest of the less well off at hear is a joke. Give it one re-election and they'll be just like the rest of the fucking :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: bitches in power withholding while doing the carrot on the string "we're fighting for you"

Fucking Bernie in all his infinite wisdom upped his workers wages to $15 an hour... then cut their fucking hours. He's just as bad as the people he rags on. So instead of trying to take the master's pie after me you come first. We ain't ever getting the masters pie so I may as well get all I can before you do.

I honestly, genuinely wish you peace.

Anyone who tells you these corps can't afford to pay more are just boot licking.
This just in: most businesses aren't amazon or walmart.

How goddamn stupid do you have to be to think a hardware store in Jackson, WY should be forced to pay the HS kid working the register more than the owner makes? Who the fuck would ever start any business or hire anyone ever?

Her own example of "people can't live on $2.13/hour" is just stupid. They don't live on that, they make a very decent income which is significantly higher than anyone else with the same education in an industry with very small profit margins. Just because these cheap shits don't tip doesn't mean nobody else does

Then find a new better paying field.

Isn't that the answer when it's asked what do the coal miners do when you shut down the coal industry:
"just find a better job"

Wtf are you talking about? I said there are people working way harder than me and getting paid way less and you're saying I should find a better paying field? Are you talking to me or them?

Shows how privileged you are. As if everyone gets to choose their "field". For most people, their field is survival. They don't have the luxury to choose.

Wtf are you talking about? I said there are people making way harder than me and getting paid way less and you're saying I should find a better paying field? Are you talking to me or them?

Shows how privileged you are. As if everyone gets to choose their "field". For most people, their field is survival. They don't have the luxury to choose.
For most in the western world as you said it isn't survival as apparently according to you we got fucking handed everything. Yeah, me the son of an immigrant mother and first gen dad that had to work his way up on merchant ships for 40 years had my education handed to me on a silver platter and was bought and paid for.

The mom with two kids and a shitty father of the kids not paying child support yeah, I can see them needing some aid in the wage department. The fucking 15 year old kid counting 10 chicken nuggets for 4 hours a day? No, fuck that why should THEY get $20 an hour when I had to work at it for 10 years to get $21 an hour after working $8 an hour through high school and working two jobs the last two year? No... you hand what are essentially children everything they'll never fucking work for anything.

Struggle is a great character test.

Compare kids that save up for a year to get a Honda Accord to the one that’s given the 2 year old M3. Who appreciates the car more

Literally doesn't matter. We don't need to make life incredibly hard for the sake of it.

Americans actually politicking for their fellow man to stay broke.

Politics, folks.

Literally doesn't matter. We don't need to make life incredibly hard for the sake of it.
You really think the majority of US fucking 15-17 or 18 year olds will be smart with their $400 a week?

Fucking fresh draft picks in the NFL and NBA that burn out are broke and destitute two years later and everyone wonders where their $5million went.

You really think the majority of US fucking 15-17 or 18 year olds will be smart with their $400 a week?

Fucking fresh draft picks in the NFL and NBA that burn out are broke and destitute two years later and everyone wonders where their $5million went.

More money in the economy, who cares?

Back