Economy Rashida Tlaib: The federal minimum wage 'should be $20 an hour'

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Lord Ashley Barnes, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Lord Ashley Barnes

Lord Ashley Barnes Ultimate Fedorist Platinum Member

Rep. Rashida Tlaib said the federal minimum wage should be raised to $20 an hour.

"Big fights like this one, $15. When we started it, it should have been $15," the Michigan Democrat said in a video posted by America Rising on Monday. "Now I think it should be $20 ... It should be $20 an hour. $18-20 an hour."

"These corporations are making billions off of our blood and sweat. That's the most American thing you can do today: to push back, because they are pushing our children into poverty, because we deserve better."

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/rashida-tlaib-the-federal-minimum-wage-should-be-20-an-hour

deviake, TheFirstEMP and Fight To Win like this.
  2. JonesBones

JonesBones Excuse my contraflow

Bernie better pull out his wallet.

<Lmaoo>

Jkillah, MichiganMMA1978, Zer and 7 others like this.
  3. Gregolian

Gregolian .45 ACP Platinum Member

So... someone working at McDonalds should make $1.15 an hour less than I make now where to get the job I had to have a degree and certification?

Why the fuck did I spend all that time and money going to school then?

4. Gunny

Gunny Gold Belt

Why stop there? Let’s make it $150.

5. zebby23

zebby23 Silver Belt

Should be tiered... 16-18 year olds in high school who are working part time have no reason to be making 20 bucks an hour. Salaries should be like sports with minimums for new people in the workforce and the salary goes up as you get older up to a certain point.

A 45 year old mother of 2 should maybe be guaranteed 15-20 bucks an hour especially if she is supporting a family. At some point the government has to step in

6. JonesBones

JonesBones Excuse my contraflow

This exactly. I have seen interviews with nurses who worked at BK or something, but are thinking, why quit and go through all that school work and money on a degree now? It holds people down.

7. good-faith poster

good-faith poster objectively

Why isnt it? It's not like we arent printing money out of thin air. If you arent for this then you hate yourself and your fellow man and you are a boot licking slave master apologist.

8. Higus

Higus Gold Belt

Or...maybe you deserve more for your labor.

9. zebby23

zebby23 Silver Belt

Probably a little of both... Maybe Talib is just aiming high as 10 years ago people were making fun of Bernie for calling for 15 bucks an hour and now we are almost there

10. Gregolian

Like I get the minimum wage in some states of like $6 an hour is far too low to sustain people but I at the same time don't think people who are in like high school working at McDonalds part time should be going home with $400 (pre tax) a week (if they only work 20 hours a week). Where's the incentive then to get better if you just fold over into full time or work two separate full time jobs?

I'm salaried at $44,011 a year. Gross per check for me is around 1692.73 and goes down to about $1200 depending on deductions (not all my deductions come out of every check). I'd probably make more, if Federal minimum wage was $20 an hour if I worked two separate part time jobs? And if they're in the one service industry I know as a bartender and/or bouncer I'm 100% making more than I would now because of the tax free/under-reported tips.

The amount of work and the bullshit topics I deal with I probably do but I also don't think the fucking high school kid should be making $25k ish a year part time for flipping fucking burgers either.

Mark Hunts FIST and spamking like this.
  11. good-faith poster

good-faith poster objectively

I'm pretty sure theres going to be a lot of you guys asking this question very soon..

12. Rational Poster

Rational Poster Yellow Card Yellow Card

If the minimum wage kept up with inflation for the past 40 years it would already be over $20.

Anyone who tells you these corps can't afford to pay more are just boot licking.

The money is already there it's just being taken from us. Passed around between the boy's club at the top of the food chain. Corporations have been busting unions and gutting their HR departments this entire time while wages flatlined. They've declared war on their payroll budget and the government is glad to help.

13. Rational Poster

Rational Poster Yellow Card Yellow Card

The incentive is $400 a week is still dick in 2019.

14. HockeyBjj

HockeyBjj Putting on the foil

I've felt this way as well about the $15 wage. It makes sense. I also really liked Bernie's proposal that full time employers over 500 employees have to pay back state and federal welfare assistance of their employees. Kids don't deserve a wage to live on in a 2 bedroom apartment. And it's not viable to pay them for that. Either the tier or pay back method would account for the variations of the "living wage" argument. Also for cost of living in the area.

The part I can't get around is that we allll know. l corporations would find ways to let go of the older workers with kids, and hire more of the cheaper teens.

With our crazy low unemployment right now, why can't people find more even low skilled jobs to learn and grow rather than just the no skill dead end jobs that should be for mostly the teens?

15. zebby23

zebby23 Silver Belt

I agree with you on this... 20 bucks to me seems too high because like you said, what is the incentive to do better? Fast food jobs should be for young adults just starting out and maybe a job to supplement social security for a retiree.

MMAisGod and Gregolian like this.
  16. Gregolian

If you're in high school living at home do you need $400 a week? Or close to $1600 a month?

17. redwire

redwire Few and Far Between

Unintended consequences strikes again. Why wouldn't an employer simply staff with 20 somethings and watch unemployment for '45 year old mother of 2's skyrocket.

Maybe this is more of a case for some sort of graduated universal basic income?

Jkillah, skaleton and electroman187 like this.
  18. Lord Ashley Barnes

Lord Ashley Barnes Ultimate Fedorist Platinum Member

Unpopular opinion here.I think UBI makes much more sense than minimum wage.

TheJewBear likes this.
  19. Leagon

Leagon Silver Belt

What kind of thinking is this? How does someone else making more money affect you at all? America is a multitrillion dollar empire and you're in a tiff because Ashley will make a few extra bucks an hour bagging groceries? Crab in a basket ass thinking.

I know PhDs making $25 an hour. And I know college dropouts making 300k a year. You don't get paid based on your qualifications, you get paid based on how much income you generate or, if you don't explicitly generate any (soldiers, teachers), how much society values you. If you aren't valued, that's on you to make yourself valuable, not try to hold everyone else back. Jesus.

20. bobgeese

bobgeese Gold Belt

Might as well legislate free unicorns....

Jkillah, TheFirstEMP, DIDM and 2 others like this.