Economy Rashida Tlaib: The federal minimum wage 'should be $20 an hour'

More money in the economy, who cares?
Spent probably mostly on video games and candy. Or fast food.... which is where they all work.

I still also contend you raise it to $20 you'll see lots of these jobs start to disappear. WA raised their minimum wage and like 3/4s of the fast food joints now you have two people in back cooking/prepping the food and the cash register and everything is automated.

University of California, Berkeley '85 - B.S. Economics
Haas School of Business '87 - M.B.A. Corporate Finance

I feel pretty good on this.
+ jewish genes.
I'd defer to fishnjits when it comes to this one lads.

For most in the western world as you said it isn't survival as apparently according to you we got fucking handed everything. Yeah, me the son of an immigrant mother and first gen dad that had to work his way up on merchant ships for 40 years had my education handed to me on a silver platter and was bought and paid for.

The mom with two kids and a shitty father of the kids not paying child support yeah, I can see them needing some aid in the wage department. The fucking 15 year old kid counting 10 chicken nuggets for 4 hours a day? No, fuck that why should THEY get $20 an hour when I had to work at it for 10 years to get $21 an hour after working $8 an hour through high school and working two jobs the last two year? No... you hand what are essentially children everything they'll never fucking work for anything.

If you think $20 an hour is "everything," you're missing out on a ton of life, my friend.

It's still crazy to me that you're so upset with poor people making more money. I used to teach at the most expensive school in the country. Do you know what jobs those kids had? Sure as shit not fuckin McDonalds. I had a couple students that would model in Europe on their summers. Fly over to Italy, do some shoots, make more in a summer than you make in a year, then come back to school the next year.

These kids weren't gorgeous or talented, they just got the job because their parents were well connected.

And you're complaining about a teenager getting "everything" for working in fast food. Well when you have a kid, I hope he only makes $3 an hour at his job so that he learns the value of hard work.

Spent probably mostly on video games and candy. Or fast food.... which is where they all work.

I still also contend you raise it to $20 you'll see lots of these jobs start to disappear. WA raised their minimum wage and like 3/4s of the fast food joints now you have two people in back cooking/prepping the food and the cash register and everything is automated.

Who cares how they spend it as long as they spend it.

If more people have more money and spend more money, more businesses will make more money, etc etc etc

You don't know any rich people and it show
Just being rich doesn't give you brains to pass the MCAT/survive med school or the talent/steady hands to be a brain surgeon. Politics or maybe the legal field you'd have an argument.

And you're complaining about a teenager getting "everything" for working in fast food. Well when you have a kid, I hope he only makes $3 an hour at his job so that he learns the value of hard work.
A person that has NO expenses, no rent to pay, MAYBE car insurance at most, with $800 every 2 weeks.... That seems like everything to me.

My high school job I almost begged to be hired to work berry fields. So this idea that just because I grew up in the west I got everything handed to me is fucking insulting. My first job was cleaning up a veterinarian clinic for $5 an hour and I saved every FUCKING penny of that part time job and paid off a year of school books and dorm costs with it.

Who cares how they spend it as long as they spend it.

If more people have more money and spend more money, more businesses will make more money, etc etc etc
But the argument is these kids will save the money for better financial stability which I am arguing is not the case.

We were all sold the same lie, bro. They told all of us that we could work hard and get educated and we would be millionaires. We were lied to.

Who blew this hyperbole up your skirt? And why did you actually believe it?

But you know who didn't lie to us? Minimum wage workers. They didn't do shit. They're in the same boat as the rest of us.

You know who bagged groceries for 5 years for $4.25 an hour? Me. You know who paid for his own college and was able to get a much better paying job while in college and got paid a whopping $10 an hour? Me. That ultimately lead to me making a heckuva lot more an hour than that today 24+ years later.

Do you know why I'm not currently working a "minimum wage" job and trying to support a family? Because if we're being honest, minimum wage jobs aren't intended to support anyone let alone a family.

This is like participation trophies and canceling college debt . . . I can't make more than $35k with my PhD in gender studies so therefore I need to have my college debt canceled.

If your only skill is sacking groceries or mopping a floor why in the world should "you" make as much or more than @Gregolian ?

While I agree that $20 is about what is needed for a livable wage, these people live in a bubble.

I've worked for multiple billion dollar companies and it's never going to fly. When companies have to pay more money, it affects their bottom line and that's unacceptable. They will outsource, downsize and automate to keep the profits up and the bonuses going. It's the flaw of capitalism.

When you say this, a lot of people act like it's a ring wing talking point but it's just reality and I've seen it time and time again. $20 is great but if there are less jobs, I'm not sure how that helps anyone.

I don't have an answer. I think UBI is an interesting idea but I'd like to see it tested in a few states first.

I do know even at $15 an hour, you're going to see more touch screen ordering screens, companies downsizing and looking for ways to automate or outsource overseas. Minimum wage increases is a huge motivator for automation.

How do you fix that while making sure people have enough money to live on?

They are going to do all that anyways, so why not change the wages for the jobs they can't outsource and automate?

If your only skill is sacking groceries or mopping a floor why in the world should "you" make as much or more than @Gregolian ?
God knows if federal minimum wage for the sake of making the math easy is $10 an hour and it gets up jumped to $20 and hour I'm not getting a 44k a year fucking increase. So my job which requires a fucking suit and tie would make as much as the 15 year old in school why should I keep fucking doing what I'm doing dealing with 12 year old that were rape victims molesting their 4 year old cousin?

But the argument is these kids will save the money for better financial stability which I am arguing is not the case.

Who cares if they save it or not?

It doesn't really matter since you're talking about a very small percent of the work force anyway.

Just being rich doesn't give you brains to pass the MCAT/survive med school or the talent/steady hands to be a brain surgeon. Politics or maybe the legal field you'd have an argument.

A person that has NO expenses, no rent to pay, MAYBE car insurance at most, with $800 every 2 weeks.... That seems like everything to me.

My high school job I almost begged to be hired to work berry fields. So this idea that just because I grew up in the west I got everything handed to me is fucking insulting. My first job was cleaning up a veterinarian clinic for $5 an hour and I saved every FUCKING penny of that part time job and paid off a year of school books and dorm costs with it.

I don't care about your life story. We all have a story and yours isn't particularly impressive.

Your argument is that other people should suffer because you suffered. That's a coward's mentality and unbecoming of a man. We have soldiers right now risking their lives. They don't ask us to go fight on the front lines. Your immigrant parents probably worked harder than you AND had to deal with a more racist country, and they provided you with everything they could. They should have sent you back to where they came from so you could really show how cool and hardworking you are. The more everyone suffers, the better.

Last edited:
+ jewish genes.
I'd defer to fishnjits when it comes to this one lads.

LOL. It's that 2,000 years of Talmudic tradition...(Source: Generation Kill).

FWIW, I really get it and I think everybody here has their heart in the right place. But there are always unintended consequences involved in any economics policy decision.

If you're in high school living at home do you need $400 a week? Or close to $1600 a month?
Probably so can you afford to work your way through college without taking on massive debt. Or afford to work without needing to go college in the 1st place.

There are plenty of reasons that entry level workers, regardless of age, should earn more money.

And this is coming from someone who disagrees with the minimum wage, point blank period. But if you're going to do it...at least do it in a way that makes sense. And under-paying labor so that those people still end up on welfare while working 40 hour work weeks doesn't make sense.

You know who bagged groceries for 5 years for $4.25 an hour? Me. You know who paid for his own college and was able to get a much better paying job while in college and got paid a whopping $10 an hour? Me. That ultimately lead to me making a heckuva lot more an hour than that today 24+ years later.

Do you know why I'm not currently working a "minimum wage" job and trying to support a family? Because if we're being honest, minimum wage jobs aren't intended to support anyone let alone a family.

This is like participation trophies and canceling college debt . . . I can't make more than $35k with my PhD in gender studies so therefore I need to have my college debt canceled.

Probably should have thought of that before Bush and Reagan designed NAFTA with the chamber of commerce, and changed this country from a manufacturing economy to a service economy.

Dumbest thing in the world to argue the largest employment sector in your economy should pay shit, because that is the job teenagers had in the 1970's.

Probably so can afford to work your way through college without taking on massive debt.
Do you know many 15 year olds with the ability to think past Tuesday at 8pm on Tuesday at 9am?

Not to mention most people making at or near minimum wage are not high schoolers

I make more than Gregolian and I'm more educated than he is and I probably went to better schools.

@Gregolian I don't know what you do, but if they were paying you 500k a year, I'd be ecstatic. Because I trust that you work hard and that your parents worked hard and life in general is hard and I hope you can use that money to have a lovely life and help your parents retire and marry some big tittied model who gives you pro athlete sons.

I wish you the best too, @spamking . I don't know what you do or what your qualifications are, but I hope you stack so much paper that your kids can do what they love and never have to work the shitty jobs you did.

I wish this for everyone, especially my countrymen.

If you think your countrymen should suffer, I'm not sure what to tell you.

WA raised their minimum wage and like 3/4s of the fast food joints now you have two people in back cooking/prepping the food and the cash register and everything is automated.

Substitution Effect...Micro 101.

Back