Rapper faces 25 to life for rapping about gang violence.

chokeyou

Derp de doo
@red
Reaction score
I simply don't get it because this activity is obviously protected by the first amendment, and this an utter injustice.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/23/entertainment/tiny-doo-rap-conspiracy-charges/index.html

San Diego-based rapper Tiny Doo has already spent eight months in prison, and faces 25 years to life in prison if convicted under a little-known California statute that makes it illegal to benefit from gang activities.

The statute in question is California Penal Code 182.5. The code makes it a felony for anyone to participate in a criminal street gang, have knowledge that a street gang has engaged in criminal activity, or benefit from that activity.

. . .

Prosecutors point to Tiny Doo's album, "No Safety," and to lyrics like "Ain't no safety on this pistol I'm holding" as examples of a "direct correlation to what the gang has been doing."

No one suggests the rapper ever actually pulled a trigger.

Seems like a bad apple, and there are way too many of those, good riddance

Just like that idiot that rapped about killing a guy then said guy actually got shot and he was charged

Man a lot of WR "conservatives" gonna be torn on this one....on one hand, it's a freedom of speech issue, but on the other hand....he's black. For me, i would have to say this is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of. Americans have shit on our hate speech laws (and I agree that they're wack), and some of the European blasphemy laws and holocaust denial BS, but this is actually even worse. I can't imagine that he'll get convicted over this, but the fact it got this far is a joke.

Was expecting Florida.

Sounds as dumb as the guy who was arrested in europe for listening to the song kung fu fighting

No way he lands a conviction here. That being said, people who have pushed drugs and engagerd in other illegal activities should not be allowed to earn money from glorifying what they did and how they got away with it.

Meh, the less "gangsta rap", the better. Maybe if these dip$hits sang about things besides violence, killing people, hoes, Hennesey, bi*ches, and drugs they would sell more records too.

Lol I can see the 1st amendment going down the tubes alot quicker than the 2nd.

Murica

Man a lot of WR "conservatives" gonna be torn on this one....on one hand, it's a freedom of speech issue, but on the other hand....he's black. For me, i would have to say this is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of. Americans have shit on our hate speech laws (and I agree that they're wack), and some of the European blasphemy laws and holocaust denial BS, but this is actually even worse. I can't imagine that he'll get convicted over this, but the fact it got this far is a joke.

You do realize all conservatives are not white and this is happening in a liberal state.

I don't know the story of what is going on but at first glance it doesn't look good.

If he is going to jail just for something he says this is bad. Going to go look and see what it says.

Well, he's not criticizing minority groups, so it should be protected speech. Freedom, social liberation and all that.

"Tiny Doo, whose real name is Brandon Duncan, faces nine counts of criminal street gang conspiracy because prosecutors allege he and 14 other alleged gang members increased their stature and respect following a rash of shootings in the city in 2013."

I think there has to be more to read on this. How close are his ties and is there something going on California is not saying? California might have over stepped. It sounds like like California is saying he is profiting from criminal acts but I want to see a stronger link. I understand California wanting to reduce gang violence. The truth is I don't know what gang violence looks like since I have never been where such a thing exists.

Meh, the less "gangsta rap", the better. Maybe if these dip$hits sang about things besides violence, killing people, hoes, Hennesey, bi*ches, and drugs they would sell more records too.

I am not a fan either but is this stretching the law?

it's a piece of evidence..not the whole case.. like when an accused murderer searches online for "disposing of a body" and it's used as evidence.

Back