Putting a limit on how much weight a fighter can cut

I think they should put a limit on how much weight someone can cut for a fight
They've already done that: The stipulated weight you have to make on weigh-in day itself limits the weight someone can cut. Nothing more is really necessary, as this is not really a problem. The Paul Daleys and Rumbles of the world are the exception, not the rule. Other then those kind of guys, this shit only comes up when moronic people on forums like these want to discredit the success of a fighter.

Pretty much this. Imagine if Benson didn't have over 20 pounds on Frankie.
Frankie is a featherweight or even a bantamweight fighter. Just because he chooses to fight at lightweight doesn't mean the rest of the weight class has to adjust to him.

I think they should put a limit on how much weight someone can cut for a fight by weighing them in day before as usual and then again right before the fight. It would take a little while for the fighters to adjust to how to regulate themselves but I think it would help.

Like put a 5-10 pound limit on how much they can cut so fighters would have to watch how much they weigh before they started the initial cut. They'd be forced to stay close to the weight they're gonna fight at.

Weight classes are there for a reason and there shouldn't be these huge differences between people in the same weight class.

Some fighters are cutting a lot of weight these days so they should either put a limit on how much or add a few more weight classes.

And if the rule gets broken?

It's too late. The sport has been created this way, millions of dollars have been paid and spent in making these fighters famous in the weight class that they fight.
Your rule could easily disqualify a perfectly fine champ from even being in the weight class at all, like Bendo. Why would you want to do that?

No, a majority of fighters have been cutting weight for years. It is how they succeed and important part of fighting. If you think this will make loads of difference, it would make for worse fights. Fighters would go into fights being dehydrated, which mean a shit fight.

Not really when you can cut 20-30 lbs. What's the point of having a weight class?

If a fighter's walk around weight is within 10 lbs of the weight he's going to cut to then what he puts back on should be easily regulated.

Are u a really tiny person?

I know what you mean there are guys like Travis in Bellator that cut and add tons of weight. That's tough to fight a fair match when one guy clearly looks larger and is larger. I think that's why MMA hasn't exploded I always hear the comment that guy is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay bigger than his opponent. Nobody wants to watch David vs Goliath all the time especially if Goliath is laying the beating. :D

We should put a limit on how many punches you can throw if you are a better striker than your opponent.

You know. So it's fair.

And if the rule gets broken?

It's too late. The sport has been created this way, millions of dollars have been paid and spent in making these fighters famous in the weight class that they fight.
Your rule could easily disqualify a perfectly fine champ from even being in the weight class at all, like Bendo. Why would you want to do that?

If someone puts too much weight back on they lose half their purse like they when someone misses weight. The fight wouldn't have to be cancelled.

Any fighter who can't stay within 10 lbs of their weight class would have to jump up a division and fight where they are closer to the actual weight class. They might have to add a 195 and 215-225 division though.

If there were more HW's that would be easier.

If someone puts too much weight back on they lose half their purse like they when someone misses weight. The fight wouldn't have to be cancelled.

Any fighter who can't stay within 10 lbs of their weight class would have to jump up a division and fight where they are closer to the actual weight class. They might have to add a 195 and 215-225 division though.

Impossible. Way too many fighters can't function within 10 lbs of the limit. Think of all the money spent hyping these guys, making them famous, and making us want to see them fight. Your idea may have good intentions and integrity, but it's completely unreasonable.

No, a majority of fighters have been cutting weight for years. It is how they succeed and important part of fighting. If you think this will make loads of difference, it would make for worse fights. Fighters would go into fights being dehydrated, which mean a shit fight.

Not really since they'd only be able to cut 10 lbs. It's actually the opposite. They'd be healthier.

An overcomplicated solution to a non-existant problem.

Impossible. Way too many fighters can't function within 10 lbs of the limit. Think of all the money spent hyping these guys, making them famous, and making us want to see them fight. Your idea may have good intentions and integrity, but it's completely unreasonable.

In case you're interested, ts's idea sprung from an Anderson vs GSP thread. So maybe people shouldn't take the idea itself at face value.

Some people need to learn the difference between walk around weight and pre-cut weight. Just because a guy is 30 lbs over before camp, that does not mean he is cutting that much weight. A lot of it comes off on its own during training camp.

Very interesting thread.Personally, I feel like it should be the fighter's decision in regard to if they wanted to cut weight. Even though a guy like Edgar was almost always the smaller guy, he definitely had a speed and conditioning advantage over most 155ers. There is two sides of the coin.

In case you're interested, ts's idea sprung from an Anderson vs GSP thread. So maybe people shouldn't take the idea itself at face value.

What does that have to do with anything? One of the GSP fans from that thread who hates me the most agrees with me.

Who theee fuck cuts 30 lbs for a fight? Sure some guys start camp 30 lbs higher than weigh-in weight and then go on diets etc. But seriously who the fuck cuts 30lbs and rehydrates that much? I think you need to name names with allegations like that man. Im so tired of people just throwing numbers out there like that. Get over whoever you love losing, its the fight game, it happens dude.
Not really when you can cut 20-30 lbs. What's the point of having a weight class?

If a fighter's walk around weight is within 10 lbs of the weight he's going to cut to then what he puts back on should be easily regulated.

Maybe not a problem but it would produce a more even playing field.

Where's the uneven playing field? Everyone knows the rules. If you can make the weight, you can make the weight. The weight class itself solves all the problems you describe.

Back