Putting a limit on how much weight a fighter can cut

If someone puts too much weight back on they lose half their purse like they when someone misses weight. The fight wouldn't have to be cancelled.

Any fighter who can't stay within 10 lbs of their weight class would have to jump up a division and fight where they are closer to the actual weight class. They might have to add a 195 and 215-225 division though.

If there were more HW's that would be easier.

This creates the same problem though, you would have fighters who naturally weigh around 195 fighting at 205 and that is just as "unfair."

Of course we could add new weight classes as you suggested but that would dilute the talent pool to the point where there'd be about 6 fighters per division.

How about same day weigh ins?

Though maybe the bad reputation Rumble Johnson and Rampage Jackson got for missing weight will be be deterrent.

Edgar should have won the second fight.

How about same day weigh ins?

Though maybe the bad reputation Rumble Johnson and Rampage Jackson got for missing weight will be be deterrent.

Edgar should have won the second fight.

And have fighters compete while being incredibly malnourished and having no energy, sounds great.

I think we also need to weigh fighters between rounds. I think it totally takes the piss when you see a corner giving one fighter loads of water to give them a size adventage in the next round.

I think we also need to weigh fighters between rounds. I think it totally takes the piss when you see a corner giving one fighter loads of water to give them a size adventage in the next round.

The cutmen should apply the exact same amount of vaseline to both fighters as well, it all adds up, lets not even get on to attire...

not happening, wasteland this.

only viable alternative is to have day of fight weigh ins

Everyone knowing and acting within the rules is not an excuse.

FACT is the weight classes were created to minimize the weight fluctuations between fighters.

Great, fighters find a way to technically get around the intent of the rules and weigh far more then was intended and that if fine today as long as it is within the rules, but the rules makers can adapt and tighten the rules tomorrow so what they actually intended does happen.

It is not that hard either. When Rumble missed weight at MW V Vitor, Vitor made it a condition that Rumble not weigh in more then 210lbs for their CW fight. That weigh in was done on fight day. So it can work. But I would agree we might need maybe two more divisions.

The cutmen should apply the exact same amount of vaseline to both fighters as well, it all adds up, lets not even get on to attire...

Weighted gumshields are as big a problem as PEDs in my opinion.

Pounds don't win fights. Fighters fight where ever they feel they can best compete.

In boxing they show un-official weights fight night and it is not the heavier guy who wins all the time.

Right, because in boxing you can lay on a guy with your +20 lbs extra. I have no idea why people keep equating MMA weight cuts to boxing weight cuts. When you're a wrestler, your weight can easily matter. I'm not saying every fighter benefits from more weight, but denying they can is retarded.

Everyone knowing and acting within the rules is not an excuse.

FACT is the weight classes were created to minimize the weight fluctuations between fighters.

Great, fighters find a way to technically get around the intent of the rules and weigh far more then was intended and that if fine today as long as it is within the rules, but the rules makers can adapt and tighten the rules tomorrow so what they actually intended does happen.

It is not that hard either. When Rumble missed weight at MW V Vitor, Vitor made it a condition that Rumble not weigh in more then 210lbs for their CW fight. That weigh in was done on fight day. So it can work. But I would agree we might need maybe two more divisions.

And that is exactly what they have done. There is no loophole that fighters are exploiting. If they make the weight then they make the weight. I f they don't, then their opponent can accept a catch weight or they have to try again. If they can't make the weight safely, the fight gets called off.

Why not have fighters fight in their weightclass weight. Weigh in right before they fight. Ffs. If you want to dehydrate yourself to have a size advantage their is no way you will bulk up in 5 minutes

Weighted gumshields are as big a problem as PEDs in my opinion.

Bendo really should have been disqualified for hiding that toothpick in his mouth, trying to get a weight advantage like that is disgusting.

Right, because in boxing you can lay on a guy with your +20 lbs extra. I have no idea why people keep equating MMA weight cuts to boxing weight cuts. When you're a wrestler, your weight can easily matter. I'm not saying every fighter benefits from more weight, but denying they can is retarded.

Changing the rule is saying every fighter benefits (or enough that is it a problem). The link between the two is this, sometimes size matters/sometimes it doesn't.

Some bigger guys can use size and wrestling. Some smaller guys use speed and quickness.

Rashad at 205 is not biggest guy in the cage most times. He can still hold down most opponents. He did it to Rampage/Davis. The way things work now, every fighter makes a choice at how much weight they can cut without feeling weak and it works fine, imo.

Bendo really should have been disqualified for hiding that toothpick in his mouth, trying to get a weight advantage like that is disgusting.

And who does he think he is fooling with his heavy long hair? The only reason I've not written to the AC to complain is because Nate showed up with a disrespectful height and reach advantage.

And who does he think he is fooling with his heavy long hair? The only reason I've not written to the AC to complain is because Nate showed up with a disrespectful height and reach advantage.

lol, honestly if he shaved his head he wouldnt have to get butt naked for every weigh in..

having wrestled all through college, and cutting shitloads of weight, ive learned one very important fact. weight cutting is self regulating. If you cut too much, or incorrectly it will hurt you.....BAD. Cutting weight enables you to operate at your optimum weight. when i got down to weight, my speed, endurance and everything just felt better. When i would carry around all the extra weight during the week i would feel sluggish and slow, and carrying the extra weight would hurt my endurance.

And that is exactly what they have done.
Yes and the fighters have found ways to stretch those boundaries. for example you could someone weigh in for a MW fight at 172lbs and be fighting Sonnen who would come in at 210-215lbs.

they need to tighten this up.

There is no loophole that fighters are exploiting.
Agreed. Not a loophole. Just the fighters exploiting the intent of the rules and divisions. they have found a way to still accomplish what the initial rule tried to diminish.

If they make the weight then they make the weight.
sure but a meaningless statement that would still apply with a tightening of the rules.

I f they don't, then their opponent can accept a catch weight or they have to try again. If they can't make the weight safely, the fight gets called off.
sure but they can also tighten the rules and all this will still apply. rules change all the time in sport especially once when reviewed they realize the intent of the rule is not happening.

having wrestled all through college, and cutting shitloads of weight, ive learned one very important fact. weight cutting is self regulating. If you cut too much, or incorrectly it will hurt you.....BAD. Cutting weight enables you to operate at your optimum weight. when i got down to weight, my speed, endurance and everything just felt better. When i would carry around all the extra weight during the week i would feel sluggish and slow, and carrying the extra weight would hurt my endurance.

WTF? Dehydration helps performance?

Back